Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

08-02-2009

Australia

35 Signins

783 Page Views

• Views: 783
  • Message 1 of 5

Managing Rescue and Recovery on an External hard drive

2010-07-22, 3:18 AM

In the past I have used a number of imaging programs to back up hard drives. I am now considering using Rescue and Recovery as a backup tool for the thinkpads we own.

As a test, I ran a base backup to an external hard drive using R&R 4.21 under Xp pro. It created a number of files in the main directory of the external hard drive. With other imaging programs, I can usually specify the directory I want to save my image in. Can I do the same with R&R or does the system need to have all these files in the main directory of the external hard drive for it to function?

This leads to my next question. Am I able to back up a number of thinkpads to the same external hard drive without the software becoming mixed up with what image belongs to what laptop?

Options

32 Posts

03-31-2009

USA

79 Signins

779 Page Views

• Views: 779
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Managing Rescue and Recovery on an External hard drive

2010-07-23, 18:03 PM

I can't answer your question, but personally I wouldn't use it. Several reasons:

1. There is no way to change the network backup location through the client program. You have to modify the registry on the client machine to change the network folder path. Reinstalling the application doesn't do it either unless you manually remove the settings.' In fact, you cannot even see where the network folder containing the backups are.  all the client program displays is "network". 

2. Based on my own experience with a very small sample, the restore time is very long compared to alternative backup programs. I tried a restore using R&R, and did the same restore using Microsoft's built in Windows 7 backup which was much faster. Yes, I only have a sample of one, and it could be that the number of incrementals each had to process is different, but I have often observed the application saying "100% complete" during a backup, while simultaneously displaying the row of dots that indicates it is still crunching away for many, many minutes.

3. Having used R&R off and on for years ( keep trying the new versions), I occasionally run into unexplained problems. Most recently with the 4.3 for Windows 7, I was backing up to a network folder on a 300GB drive and after a few daily backups got a "not enough space" message. Although I thought I had plenty of reserve capacity on the drive,  I switched to a 1.5TB drive, and it ran without errors for several days, then I got the same "not enough space" message.

That's when I decided to take advantage of a rebate promotion on Acronis' Home Backup program.

Options

35 Posts

08-02-2009

Australia

35 Signins

783 Page Views

• Views: 783
  • Message 3 of 5

2010-07-26, 7:08 AM

Hi dutch55,

Thanks for your your response regarding R&R. I admit that Acronis is the standard to achieve for the home user.On paper, R&R should be a good system too, but I have heard conflicitng reports on this forum.

As an update to anyone reading this post, I was able to answer my second question. I loaded R&R 4.21 on a Thinkpad R40 and a Thinkpad X41 tablet. I backed up the R40 hard drive to an external drive connected via USB. I then proceeded to back up the X41 tablet with the same external hard drive but stopped. The reason why I stopped was because the X41 tablet could see the R40 backup. I suspect it would use this backup as a reference and try to make a incremental backup of the system. I don't think it would have been a good result.

I've concluded that the external drive backup option for R&R is specifically for a dedicated external drive for the laptop; not to be shared with other computer. Lenovo should clarify this limitation in their user help documentation.

In addition, they should consider the flexability of allowing the user to specify a path to store the image on the external drive (an updated version?) to allow the external drive to be used for other computers.

Dutch55, your comments regarding the issue you had using R&R on a network drive gave me an idea which I will test. If I make the external drive into a network drive, this will allow me to specify a path for the backup. So maybe I can create two separate paths for each laptop on the same drive.

I'm using R&R 4.21 for XP and Vista rather than 4.3 for Win7 so (hopefully) it may be a more stable version. I'll let you know my findings.

Options

32 Posts

03-31-2009

USA

79 Signins

779 Page Views

• Views: 779
  • Message 4 of 5

2010-07-31, 9:25 AM

Candive,

Stability (or bugs) aside, if I were in your shoes, the fact that you cannot change the network path through the standard UI would by itself make me reluctant to deploy R&R in your scenario. The logic behind designing the R&R applicaiton without any provision for navigating around to find or specify where backups are located escapes me.

What happens if soembody decides in the future to change the network/backup server configuration so that the backup location path names need to be changed? Have you thought about how you would change the configuration on all the clients so they could continue to run backups and access the old backups?

dutch55

Options

1593 Posts

07-17-2009

Slovakia

576 Signins

12029 Page Views

• Views: 12029
  • Message 5 of 5

2010-08-04, 20:00 PM

Hi Candive,
here some remarks to you situation/questions:
RnR is designed to work in following way, in case you are storing a backup on an external USB HDD:
Is expects, that this USB HDD will be the only source, that you can use in case your OS will crash and will not be bootable again. Therefore it is also assuming, that you want to do this USB HDD bootable, which is the default configuraiton of RnR (can be disabled).

From your post I see, that you are kind of into the backup situations, so you do now understand a bit of the rnR logic, and why I would surelly not advice to store multiple RnR backups on one USB HDD.

According your first question, on where to store the backup:
In case you are storing the backup on local HDD, then it is always created in a hidden folder called RRBackups, which is protected so that it will not be changed and can be used in case of need.
This same is also for the USB HDD, because in case you want to make a USB HDD bootable, then the easiest way is to store to boot files in the root folder of the USB HDD and this same also goes for he Backup-files location.
This is unfortuantely the design of RnR and cannot be currently changed.

Please let me know, if I missed some point, or you have any other question.

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)