Options

8 Posts

02-21-2011

Belgium

29 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 9

No wireless network connection after upgrade to AC 5.72 on R400 with mini-pci express adaptaer II

2011-02-21, 10:31 AM

Hi,

I have one-year old R400 with integrated mini-pci express adapter II, running XP SP3.

With Access Connections 5.61 everything worked well re wifi access.

But after upgrading to 5.72 I cannot connect anymore to any access point, in fact I do not even see any. When letting WIndows manage all wireless settings on the other hand, everything is ok - so hardware is still fine, and probably the NIC driver.

Before posting I extensively searched both this and other forums, and found numerous posts about similar issues, some giving detailed suggestions about how to perform the upgrade of the various ThinkVantage utilities. I tried numerous scenarios involving dozens of reboots, but still no luck.

Here is where I basically did:

- uninstalled one by one: old AC, old wlan software/driver, hotkey driver, power mgmt and power mgmt driver

- downloaded and installed one by one (i.e. not via SU) the latest versions: power mgmt driver, pwr mgmt 1.90, hotkey features 3.32 including system interface driver 1.05, WLAN driver software (using 6iwc28ww.exe i.e. 1.00.0029.1), and finally AC 5.72 - rebooting after each step.

All the bits and pieces seem to work (PM, hotkeys) and also AC with various profiles for wired connections. But just not wireless. It is obviously quite frustrating...

For the time being I can use the r400 either wired or letting windows handle wireless, but over a year I have learnt to appreciate the more advanced features of AC for wireless so really would like to get it going again. Any ideas anybody?

thanks

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: No wireless network connection after upgrade to AC 5.72 on R400 with mini-pci express adaptaer I

2011-02-21, 19:16 PM

Are these existing profiles, or have you tried creating a new wireless profile?

Seen times when a update makes the profiles act like they no longer understand the card. A new profile will work.

When you apply a wireless profile (i.e. click connect) does the profile immediately fail at "applying profile" or does that work and it fails at authentication or getting an AP address?

If you do Fn+F5, is the wireless card listed?  Can you turn it on an off?

Options

8 Posts

02-21-2011

Belgium

29 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

Re: No wireless network connection after upgrade to AC 5.72 on R400 with mini-pci express adaptaer I

2011-02-21, 20:08 PM

Thanks for picking this one up.

I am testing with new profiles. When I uninstalled the previous version of AC, I chose to remove both the software and the profiles (I had read in some other post that profiles did not always migrate nicely).

A profile fails immediately at "applying profile". Also, keep in mind that when launching Access Connections, the list of available wifi access points remains empty even after clicking 'find' numerous times. If I switch to Windows configuration of wireless network settings, I immediately see a list of expected access points in the native windows popup sceen.

Fn+F5 gives me the expected popup with 2 tabs, 'location profiles' and 'wireless radio'. The adapter is not specifically listed anywhere, but I can't remember it being listed in the previous version of the tools, when everything worked ok. Now, switching wireless radio on and off via the pannel does not seem to have any effect: if I connected to an access point while letting windows manage wireless settings, then switching to managing settings by an external program, switching wireless radio off does not cut the connection.

For what it may be worth, I enabled logging in AC and found some errors in the trace of a connection attempt (ERROR AcSvc. SYSTEM(Prvlg).5100.3532[2/21]20:52:23:109 CAcRealTek::GetRadioStateInDriver: RealTek API RT_GetStatusHardwareRadioOff() missing! and similar other messages), but I am no expert at all in reading such traces so not sure if this is critical. I have kept the trace file just in case.

Anything else to check?

rgds

Chris

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

Re: No wireless network connection after upgrade to AC 5.72 on R400 with mini-pci express adapter I

2011-02-23, 15:18 PM

Ok, sounds like part of the driver is missing.  Part of the driver install adds a component that Access Connections uses to communicate with the card. INF installs or not following the install instructions in the README are the leading causes.

So uninstall the card from Add/Remove Programs, reboot and then cancel the Found New Hardware wizard.

If you don't get the New Hardware Found wizard, open Device Manager and see if the wireless card is listed under Network Adapters.  If so, right click it and choose Uninstall.

Then run SETUP from the downloaded driver package, follow the prompts and reboot once it's done.  Then see if Fn+F5 can turn the card on/off.  It uses the same component that Access Connections uses, so if it doesn't work, neither will AC.

Options

8 Posts

02-21-2011

Belgium

29 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

Re: No wireless network connection after upgrade to AC 5.72 on R400 with mini-pci express adapter I

2011-02-24, 9:50 AM

Thanks. Your idea certainly makes sense, I also have the feeling there is some piece missing between AC and the driver, as the driver itself does work (with windows in control of wireless).

So I did exactly what you  suggested, step by step, and still no luck, same symptoms. I must admit i am ready to quit on this one, and I won't push too hard as obviously XP is no longer the windows platform of choice.

Just one more thing: the component you are referring to in order for AC to communicate with the network adapter, could you be more specific (which dll etc.)? Is there any way to check that it is installed correctly, i.e. checking the registry?

Thanks for your effort anyhow.

regards

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2011-02-24, 20:02 PM

Click Start-> Connect To-> Show All Connections-> Right Click the wireless connection-> Choose properties

Look under Common Items for:

AEGIS Protocol IEEE 802.1x  v3.7.1.0

If you seen multiple versions or older version of that, means either you have multiple wireless drivers installed (which will also will cause your problem, so probably be good to go through Add/Remove programs and look for any other wireless drivers installed, even drivers from other manufacturers may case the problem. If you find some, uninstall all the wireless/wifi driver you can find including the ones you just reinstalled and then reboot and install just the current driver again as per last update) or other software that has installed it's own equivalent software that is interfering with the AEGIS supplicant.

If that is the only AEGIS there and there aren't any older versions, uncheck anything that isn't one of these:

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
TVT Packet Filter
QoS Packet Scheduler
AEGIS Protocol IEEE 802.1x  v3.7.1.0
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

If you have anything other than the above, uncheck them and reboot. See if that helps.

Options

8 Posts

02-21-2011

Belgium

29 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2011-02-24, 21:40 PM

Thanks again for this hint.

It looked promising, at first. The only AEGIS I found was for AEGIS Protocol IEEE 802.1x  v3.7.1.0, so ok. But I had a couple of other unusual items in the wireless connection properties: VMWare, iPass and Pure Networks. I deactivated those, which left me with:

- client for ms networks

- file/print sharing

- QoS

- AEGIS

- IP

Rebooted - but still the same. Don't see any of the wireless access points in AC (but if I try to set up a new profile in AC it shows me the wireless NIC, it just won't connect). And using power management to switch off/on the wireless radio does not have any effect.

Beats me, and I am close to giving up, as I have a (not optimal) workaround with WIndows wireless. Unless you have another suggestion?

rgds

Options

8 Posts

02-21-2011

Belgium

29 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2011-03-13, 22:31 PM

Had another go at this problem, without success.

I did notice on the Wireless connection status popup window of AC that the adapter details were not quite correct: the description is the expected one (11b/g/n wireless lan mini-pci express adapter II) but the MAC address is totally off, a 'phantom' as it is called in some posts on another forum as this is not the first time it is reported. I have no idea where this incorrect mac address is coming from, and obviously if AC is relying on this mac address to query the network card it will be in trouble.

I did one other thing I did not try before: I uninstalled (again) AC and the wireless adapter software, using an uninstaller program which picked up and cleaned a few registry entries which the normal uninstaller did not take care of. For good measure I rebooted after each step, then reinstalled wireless and AC, again rebooting between each step. Still no good...

Any more ideas, anyone?

regards

Options

8 Posts

02-21-2011

Belgium

29 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2011-03-13, 23:24 PM

Found what was causing the problem in my case!

I googled around a bit more, using variations on "access connections" and "incorrect mac address" as keywords, and found several forum posts, including

this one

So apparently AC needs this opensource dll LIBEAY32.DLL to do its work, and in my case it is picking up an incompatible version of it from another directory in PATH. I have a dozen or more versions of this dll on my c: drive.

I gave it a try, and changed my PATH to include the 2 thinkpad directories up front - and guess what, after rebooting AC was working fine again.

Now the obvious question is which other application on my pc might break, if it picks up the version of the dll shipped with the wlan driver?

Last but not least, there's a lenovo document out there describing the problem. It says it applies only to Intel PRO wireless cards, but it would seem it applies to the mini-pci express adapters (realtek chip) too. The posts and the lenovo doc go back a couple of years but still apply obviously.

Hope this helps somebody else, I spent too many hours reinstalling and rebooting before finding this out!

cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete