Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-08-2007

United States of America

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 1 of 20

Power Manager Guage: Genuine Lenovo Battery Not Attached

2007-12-08, 14:37 PM
I have a T60p Thinkpad  (WinXP) with a non-genuine Lenovo Battery.  Several times a session, a warning balloon pops up from the system tray Power Manager Guage that reads "Genuine Lenovo Battery Not Attached".  There is no way to close the balloon and if I try, it takes control of my browser and tries to sell me a battery.  Very heavy-handed marketing.

Is there any way to disable this ballon, even getting into the registry?  I cannot buy a new battery and the ballon is quite distracting!

Thank you
Options

136 Posts

12-07-2007

Bay Area, CA

114 Signins

1746 Page Views

• Views: 1746
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: Power Manager Guage: Genuine Lenovo Battery Not Attached

2007-12-08, 17:38 PM
I'm assuming you kept the original software with your system so that will probably include all the different power management tools provided by Lenovo.  I actually formatted my system and have been able to get by with the bare ACPI driver for my ultrabay battery.  That said, have you tried to uninstall the Lenovo power management software? That might remove the system's ability to detect your battery type and let you avoid seeing that balloon. But then again... if you have a system short because of a bad battery later on, that might be the case.  I normally get generic batteries, but on occasion, I do accidentally fry my Dell Latitude L400, which luckily for me, is easy to disassemble and fix. 
T61_Wide | Model No. 7662 - CTO
Core 2 Duo T7250 | 2GB OCZ DDR2-800
82566MM Gigabit | 4965AGN Centrino Pro
Options

4 Posts

12-08-2007

United States of America

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2007-12-08, 21:12 PM
Yes, I did install it and tried to go without the PowerManager Guage from Lenovo.  Most of their software doodads are not very useful to me, but this one is.  So I went back to the Lenovo Guage

My basic problem is in my style of usage.  My laptop is used as a desktop 95% of the time, and so I just leave the AC adapter connected.  But I believe this fried my last (genuine lenovo) battery.  The MS guage does not limit its max charge, it always goes to 100%, and I think that is where the frying occurs.  So I set my Lenovo guage to stop charging at 95%. 

I'd unattach the battery, but my power company is very flakey and there are dips in the power quite often.  I've lost an important file once because it was just at the start of a save.  So I need to leave the battery in. (A UPS is not an option.)

To compensate, I put the computer in standby at night and detach the AC.  It would be nice if I could just leave it in like my cell phone, which appears to have some circuitry to avoid frying the battery.

Thanks for your help!
Options

136 Posts

12-07-2007

Bay Area, CA

114 Signins

1746 Page Views

• Views: 1746
  • Message 4 of 20

2007-12-08, 22:56 PM
Wow, that's a really tough one.  Why not just get a genuine battery and shut down during the evenings and unplug?
T61_Wide | Model No. 7662 - CTO
Core 2 Duo T7250 | 2GB OCZ DDR2-800
82566MM Gigabit | 4965AGN Centrino Pro
Options

4 Posts

12-08-2007

United States of America

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2007-12-09, 0:29 AM
Well, can't afford it, especially if it is just due to an annoyance.  But you can bet that my next battery is going to be Genuine!!!

Maybe I will get lucky and someone will know how to rid me of that pesky balloon...
Options

1 Posts

04-24-2008

United States of America

3 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 6 of 20

2008-04-24, 23:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone has discovered how to get rid of this annoying message.  I too just purchased a non-genuine Lenovo battery and now this annoying message won't go away.  Any ideas ?
Options

1 Posts

12-10-2008

uk

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 20

2008-12-10, 14:58 PM
I got annoyed by it too.
You can turn off the lenovo battery manager using startup http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml  or similar.
It appears at PWRMGRGR under HKLM/run
You can turn on the windows xp guage by going to power options -> advanced and clicking always show icon
I think both the lenovo stuff and xp both communicate with the same BIOS battery charging stuff so the perfomance should be the same. You can always run the Lenovo stuff manually from All progams - Think vantage,  if need be
Options

1 Posts

02-10-2009

SF

2 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 8 of 20

2009-02-10, 4:02 AM

You can just click on options at the bottom of the think vantage power manager and uncheck >  show power manager gauge in task bar. then turn on the windows one as described earlier.

-Dave

Options

1 Posts

05-06-2009

USA

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 9 of 20

2009-05-06, 7:24 AM

I just got an aftermarket battery, which I have no choice about because that is

our office supplier.  It is one thing to warn me ONCE about a possibly inferior

accessory.  IT IS ENTIRELY ANOTHER MATTER TO NAG ME CONSTANTLY ABOUT IT.

So  I have to choose between beging nagged by the "not a genuine Lenovo

battery" message all the time, or disabling all battery charge control by exitting the application.

Thanks a lot Lenovo.  Everyone else in the office has already gone to other brands.

If this is the way Lenovo treats their customers, then this is the last Thinkpad I will ever

buy too.

Options

3817 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12567 Signins

182046 Page Views

• Views: 182046
  • Message 10 of 20

2009-05-06, 12:36 PM

An additional issue and concern: Lenovo doesn't sell replacement batteries for older ThinkPad models. For those models the only option is to buy a "non-genuine" battery. This means that owners of current ThinkPad models who want to keep them for as long as they are usable will eventually be subjected to unending nags and sales pitches for an accessory they can no longer buy from Lenovo.

Would anyone at Lenovo who thinks this is an acceptable marketing practice that instills continued customer loyalty, please speak up and explain the logic behind this policy?

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms