Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

08-10-2008

Philadelphia

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 5

Rescue and Recovery Problems

2008-08-14, 5:37 AM

Rescue and Recovery is making large backups of my entire hard drive.  It allows me to exclude particularly large files, but is there any way for me to say certain folders are off-limits? Or to say only backup certain folders, and ignore the rest?

Also, how do I delete the backups they made.  I couldnt find any place to do that.

Thank you for any help.

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Rescue and Recovery Problems

2008-08-14, 13:24 PM
hello which system are you using any more info will be welcome
Options

6 Posts

08-11-2008

Colorado

18 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-08-14, 19:59 PM

The first thing you need to do is acquire a functional backup  program which Rescue and Recovery isn't.  R&R doesn't recover when your hard drive fails and you put in a new hard drive, or when your Thinkpad is stolen and you buy a new one.  See other postings about these problems and the gyrations people go through to try to get their files and systems back. 

Lenovo offers no support.  Call the number listed in Help.  It's the IBM warranty number and they have no software support; they'll tell you they're sorry.  Also note that the problems w/ R&R presented in the forum here aren't addressed by forum administrators.  Presumably that's because they don't have any answers.

Good luck!

Options

83 Posts

06-01-2008

Dallas

116 Signins

3849 Page Views

• Views: 3849
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-08-15, 0:56 AM

You just need to launch the R&R application itself. 

Go to Start --> Programs --> ThinkVantage --> Rescue & Recovery 

If it's at least ver 4.x, you'll see a simplified main interface with 1 button to backup and 1 to restore.  There should be a small link on the bottom left to Click on to go to the Advanced menu.

When you go to the R&R advanced view and choose Exclude Files from "Advanced" on the menu bar, it should show bring up a  windows-explorer-like tree structure where you can select (put a check mark) in the boxes next to the folder and/or specific files you want to exclude from the backups. 

From the same "Advanced" drop-down menu bar, you can select "Delete Backups" and then you'll see a list of your current backups.  Simply select the ones you want to delete. 

The other person who posted a reply said that you can't restore if you've replaced your hard drive.  That's not exactly true.  You can save your backups to external media (CDs/DVDs or USB drive).   After you change out hard drives, you can restore from the saved backups that are on the external media.  

Options

9 Posts

11-02-2012

Canada

7 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 5 of 5

2012-11-02, 14:57 PM

@Kr00zn I followed your steps and saved my "RRbackups" on an external USB drive and connected it to my T430s. Unfortunately the R&R software shows an empty list under "choose the bakup to restore from:" even when I click on "list all backups created for other systems".

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)