Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

176 Posts

06-11-2009

Toronto, Canada

681 Signins

5368 Page Views

• Views: 5368
  • Message 1 of 6

RnR 4.3: backup copies on multiple external USB drives? And other questions...

2010-07-31, 22:40 PM

Hello,

At present I use RnR 4.3 (Windows 7) to store Base+Incremental backups on my C:\ system internal drive, and I've tested the complete restore function successfully. I have prepared an external USB drive with RnR 4.3 to make it bootable (with the complete pre-boot system), and I then use RnR to copy those internal backups to that external drive using the RnR feature for that task.

I have three major questions:

1) Can I use more than one external drive with the same complete copy of Base+Incremental backups on each? In other words, can I use the RnR copy feature to reliably copy the complete internal set of Base+Incremental to each external drive? Or does RnR 4.3 allow only 1 external USB drive to be the target drive of the copy operation?

2) When I run out of space on the internal drive, can I then switch to an up-to-date complete copy of the Base+Incremental backups created by the copy function of RnR to be a direct target of the next incremental backup I make?

3) I believe RnR compresses backups, so that on average, the total backup size is rougly 2/3 or a 1/2 of the original size. This means that on a 320GB internal disk, internal backups can compress something like 150-200GB of files before the disk is full, so a switch-over to making the external drive the backup target will eventually be needed. But if I delete a complete Base+Incremental backup on the internal drive, and then switch to making a direct backup to the external drive that has a complete copy of the Base+Incremental, will RnR continue to use that base+Incremental as a target, or will it automatically delete it and start a new Base backup?

I know I could test these scenarios myself, but I want to use my time for other things! Does anyone have experience with the kind of backup strategy I have described?

Options

35 Posts

08-02-2009

Australia

35 Signins

783 Page Views

• Views: 783
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: RnR 4.3: backup copies on multiple external USB drives? And other questions...

2010-08-02, 0:19 AM

Hi mjdl,

You obviously feel your back up process is important enough to write to this forum. If I were you, I would personally find the time to conduct these tests on your own environment an then share your findings will all of us. We would be very interested.

In saying that, I personally wouldn't backup the system to the same hard drive. It defeats the whole purpose of securely protecting your data on another medium. In my opinion, the only reason why you would make a back up on the same drive is if you did a lot of software testing and want to quicky refresh your system back to its original state. 

So my recommendation would be as follows;

• Ensure you have made a set of system restore discs so that you can reinstall the system to its factory state if necessary.

• Make a recovery disc of R&R so you can boot into this environment if your hard drive stops functioning.

• Back up your system exclusively to an external hard drive or network. This will save space on your internal hard drive.

As for backing up to multiple external hard drives, give it a go and report your findings back to this forum. We'd be interested in your findings.

Options

176 Posts

06-11-2009

Toronto, Canada

681 Signins

5368 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: RnR 4.3: backup copies on multiple external USB drives? And other questions...

2010-08-02, 5:11 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I should have made clear that I do backups to the internal drive for convenience, as I don't always have the external drive(s) immediately at hand with my notebook, but I always copy them over to the external as soon as possible.

As for a bootable recovery set of DVDs, I always make a (password protected) base one with all my software and personal installed--it's a copy of the base set already made on the internal disk.

Your suggestion of skipping the internal backups & just using external disks as a backup target is a good one. RNR is a pretty slow backup software, not much convenience is gained from staging the backup on the internal drive, only to also spend time waiting for the external drive copy process as well.

Later this week I may have time to change to that procedure.

Options

1593 Posts

07-17-2009

Slovakia

576 Signins

12029 Page Views

• Views: 12029
  • Message 4 of 6

2010-08-04, 19:13 PM

Hi,
1) By default this is not possible to store one RnR  backup on multiple USB HDD, however, it is possible to store the RnR backup on a USB HDD and also in the same time on a Network share (for example). Althought I have not tested to copy the backups to multiple USB HDDs, but in case the bahaviour is the same ,as by network share, by which I have tested this kind of bahaviour, then it will fail.

2) If I understand you correctly, then you want to restore the system from an incremental backup (when you run out of space) and by this process you want to save space on your local hdd?

This will not eork, as you might be expecting, becuse once you will run out of space, then you of course can restore the system to some previous time, which might give you some additional space, but this will not change the Size of the RnR bakcups, that are locaed on you local HDD, as this part of the system is protected during this process.

3) In case you will change the configuration, then there is a big chance, that once you exclude the Local HDD as the backup location, that is will react in the way, that it will try to create a new base backup and ignore the previous RnR backups. This will especially happen, in case you will copy the RnR backups to multiple USB HDDs and once this time will comme, you will use of of the USB HDDs, which you created by the "copy" process.

Hope this helps a bit.

In case I missed some point, or you have any add questions, then just let me know.

Cheers

Options

176 Posts

06-11-2009

Toronto, Canada

681 Signins

5368 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2010-08-04, 21:51 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I get a bit long-winded: at the moment I do RnR backups onto my internal disk, then I copy them to an external USB drive (prepared with RnR) using the RnR copy program menu option.

As others have said, internal backups are more or less a waste of space, external backups are better (which is why I use the copy process).

What I want to know is: Can a USB external drive with the complete copy of the existing Base+Incremental backups be changed to become a target of the RnR backup process, so that more Incremental backups can be added to the existing Base+Incrementals already copied to the USB drive by RnR? Or will the existing backup files on the external USB drive be ignored, and a complete base backup be started?

Options

1593 Posts

07-17-2009

Slovakia

576 Signins

12029 Page Views

• Views: 12029
  • Message 6 of 6

2010-08-05, 8:49 AM

Hi,
of course, there is the key point and it is the decision where do you want to keep the backups placed.
I preffer two location and that is the local HDD and in the same time also a network share. However, this is my ocnfiguration ;)

To be honest I would not advice to copy all the RnR backups on one USB HDD.
However, basically this kind of configuration should be possible and you could keep multiple base and incremental backups on once USB HDD, BUT I cannot ensure, that the restore will also work from such a USB HDD.

A short resume:
I would not advice to make this kind of configuration. This is due to the fact, that a backup is something important and you surelly want to have there the 100% chance to restore the system also rom these backups. And this cannot be guaranteed by your configuration.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)