01-02-2008

Pune, India

394 Signins

2933 Page Views

• Views: 2933
  • Message 51 of 90

Re: System Update: Package Index Server temporarily unavailable

2008-09-02, 16:46 PM

The system update is sluggish at best of the times. For the past two days, like most others in this thread, I am simply unable to connect my either of the T61 or R51. All PCs showing same behaviour, points to Lenovo side issue not at this end.

Anyway I think now the situation is that more and more people are trying more often, and therefore the servers might be experiencing a deluge.

Anyway, I hope this gets sorted out soon as I have just reformatted my R51 and would like it to be up and running ASAP.

Sushil

6 Posts

09-02-2008

slovakia

7 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 52 of 90

2008-09-02, 17:46 PM

Exactly same problem, after restoring my system usin reinstall by recovery from the think vantage button. My password manager is not working correctly anymore, my system update is always finding problem with server during downloading help center.

I posted this as a request on some lenovo client support but i got only mail that there was sent reply to my mail which i never got.
Well i am said of this cos before i was really happy of this softwares.

Options

133 Posts

04-23-2008

US

237 Signins

1262 Page Views

• Views: 1262
  • Message 53 of 90

2008-09-02, 18:01 PM
KCotreau:  I do not think it is the client systems at all.  We do not use or allow the install of microsoft search and I have not changed my build process in at least six months.  When we build a system and before I run microsoft updates and  try to use system update it will fail 95% of the time, 2 months ago it worked fine.  Then when I tweak the system to point to my in house update server it works just fine.  The update retriever on the server still will not connect to LENOVO/IBM to get updates most of the time but my clients no longer notice the problem because they point to an in-house sever only and not to LENOVO.
Options

4 Posts

09-02-2008

Norway

20 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 54 of 90

2008-09-02, 18:16 PM

Hi all. Just wanted to say that I am also seeing this error (when trying to use System Update with this fresh install of Windows Vista (64 bit) on my new T61). As stated earlier, I could always use Lenovo's website for downloading, but I would prefer having a working System Update application.

Hopefully someone with the right knowledge will surface.

Options

17 Posts

08-06-2008

New Hampshire

56 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 55 of 90

2008-09-02, 19:05 PM
I agree that right at this moment, it is totally the Lenovo side. That does not mean that in the past the .NET issue was not the cause, which it definitely was for me.
Options

6 Posts

09-02-2008

Boston, MA

27 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 56 of 90

2008-09-02, 19:26 PM

This has been a problem since 8/31 (if not earlier).  I had a modicum of luck on Saturday, but none since.

One would -think- that a big company like Lenovo would have enough of their head screwed on that they'd have somebody on-call to fix problems with infrastructure.

Not to mention, we're now almost at the end of a full work day.  It's no longer a holiday weekend, there are people at work at their offices, and people [many of whom aren't tech-savvy] using the short work week (or even the long weekend) to sit home installing their newly bought systems who probably expect that things are at least halfway functional.

Apparently nobody from Lenovo reads this forum...  or if they are they're sure as hell non-responsive.

Options

4 Posts

09-02-2008

Norway

20 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 57 of 90

2008-09-02, 19:47 PM

Interesting, I just got passed the 'temporary' unavailability and managed to download a few updates. The thing now is, one of the updates restarted Vista without asking me if I wanted to. Now the installation history has been wiped clean it seems. Weird.

Oh well, a bit off topic. Still, I got in for a few minutes.

Thanks, Lenovo! ;)

Options

2 Posts

09-02-2008

Worcester, MA

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 58 of 90

2008-09-02, 21:19 PM
I posted in another forum but found this one to be more active. I am having the same problems with my T60 and T42 laptops with the system update. The error I receive on both machines is "The package Index Server is temporarily unavailable". I wanted to update both laptops before College tomorrow, but that is not going to happen. It seems as though Lenovo is ignoring the issue and not responding to users on this forum with this issue. The issue seems to be widespread and according to several system logs including my two systems, their severs are to blame. I would have assumed that a Business Class laptop would have top notch support but alas it is Lenovo, not IBM. A simple response from a moderator with an ETA on the fix of the problem would suffice, but to reiterate again, Lenovo chooses to ignore its customers which helps to further the frustration experienced by this issue. 
Options

4168 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 59 of 90

2008-09-02, 23:36 PM

srl232 wrote:
It seems as though Lenovo is ignoring the issue and not responding to users on this forum with this issue.  .....

<snipped> 

A simple response from a moderator with an ETA on the fix of the problem would suffice, but to reiterate again, Lenovo chooses to ignore its customers which helps to further the frustration experienced by this issue. 

Welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify, some Lenovo employees do read and post to this forum.  Mark is quite active, and several others post as well.  However, this is primarily a user-to-user forum and not a staffed, official support channel.  The moderators are not Lenovo employees and have no access to ETA information.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

10 Posts

03-22-2008

A small town, USA

20 Signins

322 Page Views

• Views: 322
  • Message 60 of 90

2008-09-03, 0:26 AM
After days of not being able to connect to the system update server and trying several solutions as described in an earlier post, I made another attempt tonight. Low and behold, I zipped right in. Either my T61 had to think about my Net upgrade for 24 hours (no reboot after the last failure) or the problem was on Lenovo's end.  I'll bet on the latter since I haven't seen much evidence of the machine thinking! Now to see if I'm able to connect more than once. Thanks to all who have been making suggestions - helpful forum members are always appreciated.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete