04-23-2008

US

237 Signins

1262 Page Views

• Views: 1262
  • Message 81 of 90

Re: System Update: Package Index Server temporarily unavailable

2008-09-10, 19:34 PM
You are correct but I bet some people here work for companies and did not know about update retriever.  Either way they both connect to the same IBM back end to get data and as a result both get the same errors.  My system update pcs that I reverted back to IBM are experiencing the problem too.
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 82 of 90

2008-09-18, 23:02 PM

All,

While there are a number of possibly unique cases in this thread, I thought I should provide some comment about the overall performance of the TVSU update function in recent times.

"Lenovo servers used for ThinkVantage System Update and ThinkVantage Update Retriever have recently experienced over-capacity issues. This has occurred due to a significant increase in customer utilization of this product suite and users that experience the failures will typically receive the following error window: "Package Index server is Unavailable. Please try again later. " Usually, a later attempt will be successful. Lenovo is aware of this issue and is working to resolve it as quickly as possible."

Lenovo is working on improvements to the ThinkVantage System Update server and infrastructure to ensure consistent performance.   In the near term, Lenovo has implemented an update to randomize each client's timed update where possible to balance workload on the server.  If that update has not installed, customers may improve performance by adjusting the TVSU scheduler on their systems to search for updates during non-peak times.

Complete the following steps to change the system update schedule:

Launch Start -> All Programs -> Think Vantage --> System Update application.

1. Click Schedule Updates on the left menu. The Schedule Updates window opens.

2. Set the following update parameters:

Select package type: This setting specifies the severity level criteria for downloading updates (available options are Critical updates, Critical and recommended updates, and All Updates). System Update will look for updates with the specified severity levels.

Select frequency: This setting specifies the frequency of the automatic update, either monthly or weekly.

Run on: If the Weekly option is chosen, this setting specifies which day of the week System Update will check for updates (Monday through Sunday). If the Monthly option is chosen, this setting specifies which day of the month System Update will check for updates (1 through 28). The default setting for the previous versions of TVSU was the 1st of the month. To avoid peak server demand, change the day of the month setting to anywhere between 4th and 28th of the month.

Run at: This setting specifies which hour of the day System Update will check for new updates (12:00 AM through 11:00 PM).

The default setting for the previous version was 11AM. To avoid peak time of 11AM to 2PM EST, please select any other time from the

pre defined range.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

133 Posts

04-23-2008

US

237 Signins

1262 Page Views

• Views: 1262
  • Message 83 of 90

2008-09-19, 13:31 PM

MARK_LENOVO

Thank you SOOO very much for updating us on the situation.  I know others like myself have been struggling with the update server(s) for some time now and not knowing the real issue has simply been frustrating.  People sayingthis will fix it or that e will fix it only to find out it was all a matter of timing after they tried the fix and were able to connect.  I will admit I was also guilty of doing that as I was getting desperate myself.  Even though i knew in teh back of my mind that the real problem was on the LENOVO side.

Again thanks Mark.  Can you keep up apprised of the situation as time permits you, we would certainly appreciate it?

Yesterday i was finally able to get my server updated 100%, so my clients can get updates, after a week of running it and failing in many different scenarios.  Yesterday I simply selected all and did that until the system connected.

Also you may want to let someone on your end know that Update retriever 3.0 has a minor issue, it will not allow you to resize the window, full screen is basically all you get.

Options

17 Posts

08-06-2008

New Hampshire

56 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 84 of 90

2008-09-19, 17:49 PM

While there is no doubt that Lenovo had problems, especially recently, this thread goes back 7 months and I still believe that there have been three different problems covered by this "System Update: Package Index Server temporarily unavailable" error, and depending on at what period of time a person got it, it may have been local or remote. So I hope others, who read this in the future, don't dismiss all troubleshooting based on the previous two posts.

• I definitely believe that at least a few times it has been the Lenovo server.
  • It may also have been that the session folder was set to read-only as OllieB stated, although I can't confirm that issue personally.
  • And that versions 3 and 4 of Windows Search installs did, in fact, break .NET 2. I confirmed this at a time the server was not known to be having any access problems, and the fix worked immediately for me several times, and for numerous people here and in another thread that also covered this error.

So anyone who gets that error in the future still has to try to figure out which of the three is the cause since it can be any of the one of them, or maybe some new problem yet to happen. It is not really much of a problem to check the read-only attribute and even to fix .NET, and then if you still have problems, you know it is probably Lenovo.

Also that "500 Internal Server Error" mentioned earlier, although I am still not sure where that person found that URL they said they pasted (I assume in some log), but if you do that and get the 500 error, you know it is Lenovo. I think that if a lot of people show up on these boards and post that they can't access the update server, it is also an indication that it is Lenovo's end since it is not likely that everyone changed their computers locally in the same manner. Microsoft patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday of the month) may be an exception since that does change a lot of computers at roughly the same time.

Options

17 Posts

10-01-2008

USA

16 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 85 of 90

ThinkVantage System Update not working

2008-10-01, 16:40 PM

When I run ThinkVantage System Update, it gets to about 30% and then pops up and says "The Package Index Server is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Is it really down right now or is something wrong on my end? How can I get updates?

Thanks in advance!

Moderator Note; please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market. Knowing your location helps us help you

Message Edited by andyP on 10-01-2008 08:26 PM
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

DE

22089 Signins

317030 Page Views

• Views: 317030
  • Message 86 of 90

Re: ThinkVantage System Update not working

2008-10-01, 17:02 PM

Hello,

your message suggest that the server is not availible now. 

Please try in a few hours or tomorrow. It might possible, when Lenovo is loading new

updates on their server.

regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

226 Posts

02-16-2008

US

836 Signins

6956 Page Views

• Views: 6956
  • Message 87 of 90

2008-10-23, 16:30 PM

One observation, as far as Vista is concern.

Net 2 is part of Vista and can NOT be uninstall, since it does not show in the Program & Features (Old Add/Remove)

Cheers

Rolando E Creagh, MD. FACS. USA. T61p, 64608WU, Dual Core Centrino 2.8 GHz, T9000, 8GB RAM. HDD 0: 1.0TB SSD w/ W-7 Ultimate SP1 64b (2nd clean install). HDD 1: 0.5TB 10K rpm w/ W-7 Ultimate SP1 64b (cloned). HDD 2:1TB 7.4K rpm AF w/W-7 SP1 64b (1rst clean install). HDD 3:250GB, VistaB-SP2 clean install, HDD 4:100GB, XP-SP3, factory install. HDD 5:1.5TB, 5K rpm, AF, DATA. 2504-10U Mini-Dock. Three more T61p.
T70, 20ERCTO1ww, 2.81 GHz Xenon, 64.5 GB RAM, 2 M2 SSD, 1 MX300 1T SSD. Windows 10, Windows 7 Ultimate.
Options

136 Posts

01-21-2009

uk

117 Signins

923 Page Views

• Views: 923
  • Message 88 of 90

2009-02-15, 10:14 AM

Bajpai says ... 'Anyway I think now the situation is that more and more people are trying more often, and therefore the servers might be experiencing a deluge.'

i say ... at £1500+ per unit they should spend some of that on some decent servers then

wth is happening to this brand?

are they trying to bury it?

if they are, they are doing a grand job, if they are not, then its sheer incompetence of the highest level

i reckon in less than 5 years, people will be searching ebay for T21's, cos the new ones are chit and the new company is chit too

crumblyfartypants

T42 - T21 - Tecra 8200 all xp
Options

136 Posts

01-21-2009

uk

117 Signins

923 Page Views

• Views: 923
  • Message 89 of 90

2009-02-15, 10:18 AM

i would also like to thank MARK_LENOVO for his more than humerous post at the top of this page

clearly stating that LENOVO dont have good servers and/or enough bandwidth for their customer base

i honestly would have bet good money that if there was one company in the world that had good equipment and plenty of bandwidth it would be this one

i stand corrected, they are clearly nothing special anymore

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

T42 - T21 - Tecra 8200 all xp
Options

39 Posts

05-17-2008

AU

197 Signins

1946 Page Views

• Views: 1946
  • Message 90 of 90

2009-03-07, 4:06 AM

I just finished doing an XP restore on my Lenovo 3000 N200 notebook and am once again getting the error message in the thread title. I did the read unset that OllieB had turned up. But the error has persisted. In this instance, it's because the file C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\session\QuestResponse.xml is non existent on my system.

Where can I download a copy of that file from?

edit: update.

Did another WinXP reinstall on my notebook and this time I did the read attribute remove before I made any attempt to access Lenovo Update. This time I had no problems accessing the update server.

Looks like doing that read remove has to be done before you attempt to access Lenovo Update for the first time or else the QuestResponse.xml will never be able to be generated, and the update system will act as though you are in a permanent error state that persists across user accounts and cold reboots.

Jenifur Charne

Message Edited by JeniSkunk on 03-07-2009 08:12 PM
Lenovo notebooks
3000 N200 0769A64 (mid 2008 and STILL works!)
C340-15IWL 81N50044AU
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete