Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

09-01-2008

USA

12 Signins

118 Page Views

• Views: 118
  • Message 1 of 5

ThinkVantage System Update issues

2008-09-01, 4:28 AM

Hi,

my System Update seems to no longer work.

I run Windows XP Pro SP2, 3GB of RAM, otherwise a regular ThinkPad T60 with Intel Core 2.

If I remember correctly (it was probably a year ago), I had downloaded a lot of updates and selected not to install them at this time.

Now they don't show up.

There are no updates listed when I search for updates (except for one Help Center update), and the History of installed or hidden updates is empty.

I am wondering if my update list is somehow corrupted - there's over 100 updates listed on the website, but I get nothing in Software Update. I even downloaded Software Update separately and installed it again, no change.

While downloading the one Help Center update, now I get errors. They show on the Lenovo website with solutions that don't help at all in my situation:

"The Package Index Server is temporarily unavailable"

I have no firewall or proxy in my system, .NET Framework is installed properly and working, and the policy is set correctly, as per instructions.

I also got this one once today, I think.

"ThinkVantage System Update has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Yes, my Server Service is running.

I think, last year I received this error when trying to install updates.

"An error occurred while downloading packages"

This may have corrupted my installation cache or whatever the program uses.

Is there a way to tell the program to start from the beginning?

Any other advice or things I can try?

Options

6 Posts

09-02-2008

Boston, MA

27 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkVantage System Update issues

2008-09-02, 15:11 PM

I'm having the same problems; presumably there's a server that's down or something.  I'm having problems with a freshly installed system (T60) as well as the system I've been using for over 6 months (T61) with no problems thus far.

One would think there'd be an on-call person who would have handled a problem like this over the weekend (or that it'd be fixed long before being over 2 hours into the business day)...

Options

52 Posts

12-13-2007

USA

442 Signins

6029 Page Views

• Views: 6029
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-09-02, 15:26 PM

yep I'm getting the same thing here on a T61p

started today...although i've seen it in the past but for a short time.   seems to be longer this time around.

The Package Index Server is temporarily unavailable

T61P - 6459-CTO - T7500 2.2Ghz - 4G DDR2 RAM - NV Quadro FX 570M 256mb - 160G 7200 rpm - WSXGA+ 15.4" - Vista Ultimate 32bit
Options

2 Posts

09-02-2008

Worcester, MA

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-09-02, 15:36 PM
I too am experiencing the same issue with system update. I keep on receiving the error "The Package Index Server is temporarily unavailable" . I have exhausted all possible solutions to this problem as posted within this forum and solutions by Lenovo on their support page. I have a thinkpad T60 with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 running with an Intel Core 2 processor.
Options

10 Posts

03-22-2008

A small town, USA

20 Signins

322 Page Views

• Views: 322
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-09-03, 1:19 AM
There has been a longer discussion of this issue under the "ThinkVantage Technologies" folder located near the bottom of the Lenovo Community forums. I recommend reading through all the posts before trying any of the solutions suggested. There is evidence that this problem may be caused some of the time by the Lenovo servers and thus there is no need to make any corrections to your laptop.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms