03-05-2010

Nowhere

5 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 11 of 12

Re: ThinkVantage button startup behavior changes after Rescue and Recovery

2011-09-26, 18:21 PM
I too would be interested in a solution to this. It's not entirely clear to me if the change is happening in the MBR or in one of the partitions. It might not be too hard to locate the appropriate bytes, but I don't have any working MBRs to compare against, and I'm not sure if those change based on machine type. Anyone have access to a bunch of different machine models to try?
Options

4 Posts

03-05-2010

Nowhere

5 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 12 of 12

Re: ThinkVantage button startup behavior changes after Rescue and Recovery

2011-10-11, 0:24 AM

Some more info here.

I was visiting a friend that had a (almost) matching computer - T400 vs T410, the former which has the boot menu, and the latter which has the recovery when pressing the button - and spent a bit of time on this. I tried comparing the master boot record, partition tables and the like, all of which were too different to discern the cause.

I backed up the drive on the T400 (which had the menu) and tried to get it to *not* have the menu, but I was strangely unable to make it go away - I booted into recovery, ran recovery - restored from a factory disk image; nothing. Still had the wonderful menu. Eventually, in a fit of frustration - I swapped drives. Lo and behold, the T400 (with the T410's drive) still had the menu, and the T410 tried to go into recovery. Trying the computers without drives does the same thing - the computer with the menu still has the menu, and the computer without tries to go into recovery (and fails, because there's no drive).

My only conclusion is that it must be something in the BIOS. I don't know what triggers it, but I don't know enough about reverse engineering them - maybe Middleton (who did the previous Fn-Ctrl swap) could figure it out. However, one bonus did come out of all of this. At one point I managed to get the T410 (recall - without the boot menu when pressing the ThinkVantage button) to display the menu. I had no idea what I'd done, but after several more minutes of experimentation, I discovered that pressing *Enter* on bootup brings up the desired boot menu. Both machines did this, it's just the behavior or the ThinkVantage button that differs.

Sure, it's not ideal, and the display message could certainly be clearer. But at least I can get into the boot menu I miss so much. I find it very puzzling that I couldn't get it to go away on the other computer - it almost makes me wonder if I ever had it on mine.

Edit: Lost formatting

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms