Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-06-2010

USA-CA

29 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad + T-Mobile = WORKS!

2010-08-06, 9:50 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post and hopefully it would be helpful at least for some of you.

Finally I was able to configure T-Mobile USA SIM Card to work with ThinkPad X201 Gobi 2000.

I received my laptop yesterday and I was frustrated with the fact that T-Mobile is not listed within the 3G providers’ list in USA in the Access Connection (ThinkVatage). I knew that Gobi is already it not locked to AT&T but i didnt know why its not able to connect to T-mobile.  I was sure there is a work around it and I finally found it ;)

1. Open Access Connection and then go to second tab which is Location Profile
  2. In Location Profile, click on Create
  3. Name of Location: whatever name you want, for clarification, I named mine T-Mobile
  4. Type of network: select Mobile Broadband
  5. As you don’t have another 3G modem, Qualcomm Gobi 2000 is selected.
  6. Click next
  7. From the left side, select the first option: “Connect to HSPDA/GPRS network…”
  8. From the right side: “Select WAN settings” : from the drop down menu select “Custom Settings” and then click on Edit Settings
  9. A new window called HSPDA Network Setting going to open. Follow these steps to fill the form:
  10.  Known WAN Service Provider: Other
  11.  Custom Service Provider Name: T-Mobile
  12.  APN (Access Point Name):  wap.voicestream.com
  13.  User Name: blank (leave it empty)
  14.  Authentication Option:  PAP
  15.  Prompt for Authentication: leave it UNCHECKED
  16.  Click OK
  17.  Click Next
  18.  Click Finish, you will be prompt “Apply this profile now” for clarification purpose, click No
  19.  Now you will see the new profile named T-Mobile is added to the profiles’ list
  20.  At the left top of the Access Connection, you will see Location. Select the new profile that we have just created which is T-Mobile and click on Connect.
  21.  It will try to connect and after seconds your status will be connected :)

Hopefully it will work for everyone.

If you live anywhere other than USA, all what you have to know is the APN of your 3G provider and you will be ready to go. Just follow the same steps and change the APN to your provider’s VPN.

NOTE: for some reason, the first time for the 3G to work, I had to plug my ThinkPad’s power.

I am connected now using my T-mobile SIM CARD :)

Just for the record, you have to have a connection plan with T-Mobile such as Unlimited Data to able to use your SIM card, otherwise, you will be charged hell alot ;)

Have fun with your Thinkpad :)                              

***Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
Answer
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22208 Signins

317455 Page Views

• Views: 317455

Re: Thinkpad + T-Mobile = WORKS!

2010-08-06, 22:33 PM

Hello LovelsMe, welcome to Lenovo forums.

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Your procedure could help many people with similar issues.

I´ll mark my post as solution, cause I cannot mark yours (technically issues), but it´s dedicated to your post!

kind regards
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22208 Signins

317455 Page Views

• Views: 317455
  • Message 2 of 6

2010-08-06, 22:33 PM

Hello LovelsMe, welcome to Lenovo forums.

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Your procedure could help many people with similar issues.

I´ll mark my post as solution, cause I cannot mark yours (technically issues), but it´s dedicated to your post!

kind regards
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

16 Posts

08-06-2010

USA-CA

37 Signins

275 Page Views

• Views: 275
  • Message 3 of 6

2010-08-17, 14:14 PM
Thank you. hopefully it would work for others too
Options

30 Posts

04-28-2010

USA

108 Signins

406 Page Views

• Views: 406
  • Message 4 of 6

2010-12-26, 0:07 AM

In Access Connections' "Connect to the Internet" tab, the Mobile Broadband radio button is greyed out. When creating a new "Location Profile", Mobile Broadband is not an option for Adapter or Type.

Perhaps I'm missing a driver or need to enable it from somewhere? I have installed the following drivers:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68495

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73681

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-72938

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-75686

I also have the latest Access Connection installed: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73682

I have a USA T-Mobile Sim Card (with unlimited data), Windows 7 64bit, and ThinkPad T410

PLEASE HELP! Thanks

Options

6 Posts

06-03-2014

New Jersey

9 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 5 of 6

2014-10-13, 17:24 PM

All:

I have a Thinkpad Twist S230u Windows 8.1. I also have a free T-Mobile SIM with a data plan. The instructions below do not work for me in part because they don't appear to be possible within Win 8.1. I would appreciate any help or an app that could see the SIM and allow me to get internet connectivity from the laptop through the SIM to T-Mobile's network.

Options

1 Posts

12-05-2014

Austria

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-12-05, 22:13 PM

More than 4 years ... I just purchased a refurbished X201 for a friend and recognized the mobile connection. After a lot of wrong actions I found your cook-book and followed your steps. And yes, it is working. Not in the US but in Austria, with a special SIM card of a provider, where I have to enter APN, user id and password .. no problem .. Finally I'm connected.

Thanks a lot!!!

It would be great to get some type of confirmation that you got my message. My userid is robert.mandl@gmail.com.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms