Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

1593 Posts

07-17-2009

Slovakia

576 Signins

12029 Page Views

• Views: 12029
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: Thinkvantage Enhanced Backup and Recovery Queries. Please help.

2010-07-06, 22:01 PM

Hi,
vijaysaradhi is correcet.

Just to make it more clear, alethoug I think, the previous explanation fits it:
Recovery Disks are the disks, where is the original Lenovo image stored. The sam goes for the Disks, that you can create by  yourself with the same name.

Rescue Media- that is a CD, that you can create yourself, that is only used in case you cannot boot into your OS. In such situation you boot into this CD which is offering you multiple options like: diagnostic tools, Opera web browser, etc.

Cheers

Options

17 Posts

06-21-2010

singapore

20 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 12 of 14

2010-07-07, 0:22 AM

If I can't boot into OS, I can use Recovery Disc directly to restore everything without needing to boot into Rescue Media CD right?

Still kinda confused between the purpose of having both Recovery Disc and Rescue Media, isn't both serve the same function?

Back to my backup issue. I had create the base backup in the usb drive. But it does not prompt to reformat my usb drive. Also when the base backup is created sucessfully, it does not ask me if i want to make the usb drive bootable.

So i press F1 and change the boot order to usb drive first, but it does not boot from usb drive. Then i press the blue thinkvantage button and go to the recovery workspace. Then i try to view my usb backup, however i can't even press the dropdown list to choose usb drive, it's grey out. Am i right to say it does not detect my usb drive in the pre-desktop area? But i can view the backup in the usb drive through the B&R GUI. So what can i do now?

Options

35 Posts

08-02-2009

Australia

35 Signins

783 Page Views

• Views: 783
  • Message 13 of 14

2010-07-22, 6:09 AM

Hi,

From my understanding (also a new user), if you boot from the recovery CD you will reinstall the system to its original factory setting. If you boot the rescue media, you can restore from to the original factory setting or you can restore your back up you created which includes your additional programs. The rescue media has more options and it is the same environment as if you hit F11 or the thinkpad button (depending on your model).

As for formatting the external harddrive to make it bootable, this did not occur when I made my base backup either. I'm using R&R 4.21. But once you boot into the rescue window, you should be able to locate your backup and reinstall the system. 

Options

17 Posts

06-21-2010

singapore

20 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 14 of 14

2010-07-22, 10:16 AM

Alright. Got it working. Apparently it's the USB port on my laptop. Bootable only work for USB 2.0

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)