12-24-2009

Richmond, VA, USA

5 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkvantage broken after applying all the updates

2009-12-24, 21:36 PM

I had not run the Thinkvantage updates in a while (ok, ever) and was having problems with my T400 just shutting off without any warning and thought that the driver updates might help.  However, after running all of the updates, none of the Thinkvantage tools seem to work.  No fingerprint scanner, no wireless/network management, no presentation manager, etc.  I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkvantage broken after applying all the updates

2009-12-27, 13:13 PM

How strange. maybe try downloaded the Thinkvantage Update utility and setting it up again? http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html

Have you looked in event manager to search for any potential errors? It'll be in control pannel under administrative tools.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Thinkvantage, my usual thing when it all crashes is to rebuild the macine and try again, but obviously thats alot of effort for most people, and there's no guarantee it'll work for you.

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Options

5 Posts

12-24-2009

Richmond, VA, USA

5 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2009-12-30, 11:51 AM

Things get even more odd but in a good way.  Yesterday, I tried my fingerprint scanner and it worked.  I then tried Fn-F5 and got my wireless list again.  It seemed some service must have not been starting and miraculously started again after another reboot (one of many trying to get this working).  

Still, It appears I lost all of my display options for Fn-F7.  There is nothing there.  Originally after the updates, when I launched the Presentation manager manually from the start menu, there was nothing there and it would give me an error when I tried to add a new profile.  Now, I can at least add new profiles.  However, is there a way to get the default profiles that were there before?  The profiles for the default notebook and projector settings?

Thanks,

-Steve

Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 4 of 6

2009-12-30, 12:48 PM

Well I'm glad you've got some it working!

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the presentation manager or display settings. Can anyone else help out here?

Thanks.

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Options

5 Posts

12-24-2009

Richmond, VA, USA

5 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2009-12-30, 13:10 PM

I also noticed that the on-screen display is not working.  I go to Display properties and then the advanced button, then the on-screen display tab and it is enabled for speaker volume, LCD Brightness, ThinkLight, and Display Switching but none of those actually doe anything.  I did notice that the size field is blank even after I choose "large" and apply.  Do I need to re-install it wor something?  I gather I have a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Display adapter.  Should I look for an update to that? (It was one of the drivers updated by Thinkvantage updates already).  Thanks for any advice anyone has.

-Steve

Options

5 Posts

12-24-2009

Richmond, VA, USA

5 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

Presentation manager fixed

2009-12-30, 15:05 PM

I exported the presentation manager screen schemes from another Lenovo and imported them into mine.  I now have the "home" or "Default" scheme along with the others for projectors, etc.  Now if I can just get my on-screen display working again for volume,mute, etc.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms