Options

4 Posts

04-05-2010

China

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 9

What's wrong with my Access Connections?

2010-04-05, 3:51 AM

Can u help me? When I upgrade the Access Connections to v5.61, I can't get into the Access Connections.

Symptom 1: the process is running in the task manager, but no user interface comes out.

Symptom 2: when I choose the profile of wireless network, it can't work normally - the status is "Limited or No Connectivity".

The related services are running:

Access Connections Main Service

Ac Profile Manager Service

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Service

There is nothing wrong with the drivers and the hardware, coz I can use Windows configuration to make it work well. So what happened when I upgrade the Access Connections and how to fix it?

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: What's wrong with my Access Connections?

2010-04-05, 14:05 PM

When you upgrade Access Connections, did you also upgrade the Hotkeys, Power Management driver and WLAN/WWAN drivers as per the readme?

Options

63 Posts

04-01-2010

United States

196 Signins

2021 Page Views

• Views: 2021
  • Message 3 of 9

2010-04-05, 20:19 PM

You should remove Access Connections from your unit and use the built in windows wireless utility. Access Connections has many flaws and is known to cause issues to many Thinkpad units. I have had issues with it on various units from the antique T20 to the modern T500.

Options

4 Posts

04-05-2010

China

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2010-04-07, 15:18 PM

I upgraded it from system update in Thinkvantage like what I did before.  I did upgrade the Power Management at the same time.

If only the WLAN can't work, it could be the driver problem. But what about the Access Connection process, what makes it suspended?

Options

4 Posts

04-05-2010

China

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2010-04-07, 15:20 PM

Thank u guys! I still can't fix it.

I use Access Connections for convenience, so I don't like the Windows configuration.

Options

63 Posts

04-01-2010

United States

196 Signins

2021 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2010-04-07, 16:08 PM

I beleve that you are looking for the word suspected not suspended. I will answer the question as if suspected was the correct word.

Numerous units have over the years had problems with Wi-Fi cards while Access Connections was installed.

First there was my T23 without a intergrated Wi-Fi card. The Access Connections software could not properly detect, use, or operate the add-on adaptor after several patches. Then there was a T43 which a boss had on one of my contract jobs. It had problems connecting to the Wi-Fi signal. Then there was my T500 which could not find a hidden AP. Then there was a pack of T20's which had problems detecting their own Wi-Fi cards with Access Connections. And lastly there was a T42 from a friend that could not see any Wi-Fi signals.

All these problems were corrected by removing Access Connections. The issues span from old to new so it is a problem with the way it was coded. While I can't knock Lenovo or IBM themselves Access Connections is the worst software program in the Lenovo/IBM suite.

Options

4 Posts

04-05-2010

China

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2010-04-08, 15:01 PM

I appreciate you shared your experience and your suggestion.

I did mean "suspended", as the process was on the task list, but nothing I could get. It looked like the Access Connections process was waiting for something to be activated.

I always use Fn+F5 to switch the connection profiles, so I think Access Connections is so easy to do that. That's why I want to figure out what' wrong with the program.

Options

63 Posts

04-01-2010

United States

196 Signins

2021 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2010-04-09, 17:18 PM
With windows the profiles change automatically without any input from you as long as the AP is programmed in. You can program in AP's at your will or they will be added when you select them As for the hanging issue. It is very common that Access Connections will hang and so far it is random or as close to random as possible. There is no fix for this other than using another program to manage your internet connection or waiting it out. As I did say earlier Access Connection is badly coded.
Options

1593 Posts

07-17-2009

Slovakia

576 Signins

12029 Page Views

• Views: 12029
  • Message 9 of 9

2010-04-09, 19:06 PM

Hi,
the hint to uninstall Access Connection is something irrelevant.

However, of course it's your decision.

The basis is, that of course you have to upgrade all the apps and drivers like:
Power Manager
Power Management dirver
System interface driver
Hetkey features
Wifi driver

Once this is done, of course restart the system.
Make sure, that the AC services are running and the "Windows Zero Configuration" and "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" windows services are also started.

For your situation, also try to go into %programfiles%\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities and try to start following files:
ACMainGUI.exe
Access Connections.exe

The "Access Connections.exe" is the original file, that should by default start. The second one should work, if you can see it there.
Also please make sure, the you have .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 installed and configured for your system.

NOTE to the persons, who are writing to uninstall Access Connection: Please don't place such notes, as this does not belong to this kind of forum. Valuable informations are of course appreciated.

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete