Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-28-2009

emea

8 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 6

access connections problem

2009-01-28, 20:26 PM

I am trying to use Access Connections to automatically switch my location profiles, i have 2 problems though:

1. every time I plug in my computer to the lan, first I receive an IP properly, then access connections seems to be siwtching profiles and the result is a 169.254 IP and therefore no connectivity, so access connection shortly thereafter switches on wifi and connects with that.

I have tried removing the profile and creating it again (while connected on the ethernet and also disconnected) but no use, same happens.

2. my company pushes a wlan profile which access connections realizes nicely and offers me to use that in the profile and takes me to the wireless settings page. on this page everything is grayed out (wlan settings come from a policy, so nothing to override) and clicking next just says: "enter wireless settings" which I cannot do as everything is grayed out...

Any ideas how can I fix thexe two problems?

thanks

Options

5 Posts

01-28-2009

emea

8 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Bug in Access Connections

2009-11-08, 16:19 PM

My company has WLAN profiles deployed through group policy. The network profile uses WPA2 with AES and certificate authentication.

I would like to create a profile in Access Connections, so I open up the create profile dialog, get a popup if I want to select from the AD deployed WLAN profiles, click yes, select the appropriate profile, then get to the Wireless Settings page where all controls are grayed out.

If I click next here, I get a popup to "Enter the wireless security settings.", I cannot do this however, as the control to open the profile properties is also grayed out :)

I'm using Access Connections 5.41 (this repros though also on earlier versions)

Any better place to report a bug in the software?

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

Australia

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Bug in Access Connections

2009-11-08, 22:15 PM

wrote:

Any better place to report a bug in the software?

Its not really clear what your situation is, but if you have a corporate profile for AC pushed to you (presumably as part of a corporate SOE), it may well be intended in that profile that you cannot change some aspects of it..... so it may not be a bug at all.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

5 Posts

01-28-2009

emea

8 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2009-11-09, 0:45 AM

I might not have been specific on profiles. I am talking about built-in WLAN profiles deployed by group policy consisting of ssid and security preferences for the network. I do not want to change these, I simply want to create an AC profile to be used when connected to that network (with the pushed settings). So no centrally deployed AC profiles, but windows wireless settings.

The goal would be to have access connections set my printer and proxy settings.

So yes, I do find this as a bug, not a feature :) especially that access connections is aware of these profiles (extra prompt appears).

Options

289 Posts

11-28-2007

United States of America

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 5 of 6

2009-11-09, 16:11 PM

This is not a bug.  Access Connections is not capable to be used with domain policy profiles for 1 big reason.

The profiles are part of the domain policy, therefore cannot be edited or modified in any way.  Access Connections needs to be able to manipulate the profile in order to function properly. Local WZC profiles don't have this limitation and as such work fine (domain policy WZC profiles are even stored in a different part of the registry).

Since Microsoft doesn't want a program to be able to modify the domain policy (for obvious security reasons), you can't do what you want.

You can instead use the Access Connections adm template and deployed profiles to do the same thing.  Please consult the deployment guide for more information (link on the download page).

Options

5 Posts

01-28-2009

emea

8 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2009-11-09, 20:10 PM

Thanks for your reply!

If AC needs to manipulate the profile, I understand your reasoning, I can accept it.

The thing I don't get then is the following prompt:

"New profile(s) deployed by active directory have been found. Do you want to select a profile and apply it to this location profile?"

If it's deployed by ad - and therefore not supported by AC - then why can I "apply" it if I won't be able to get past the next screen? This is somewhat misleading - not nice UX :(.

Q1. Is there any other use for this prompt?

Q2. If the ad deployed WZC profile was set to no authentication - so that there's no need to "enter wireless settings", I would succeed, I guess?

My understanding was so far that AC doesn't manipulate directly (can create profiles though) the way Windows connects to the Wireless networks it just notices changes in connectivity and applies necessary settings (proxy, printers, etc. - which are not part of the domain policy WZC settings).

Q3. Am I getting this wrong?

If AC doesn't support domain policy WZC profiles at the moment, what is the process of suggesting features for a later version?

Thanks for your time,

Andras

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms