Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 777
Message 111 of 128

Re: Battery Charge Threshold bug - charges past threshold

Rather weird behavior. Installed an application through Microsoft Store, and the battery was sitting at 79% percent before this. Then it slowly started going up while still giving the message "not charging" on the Lenovo Vantage battery indicator. I unplugged the charger at 82%.

lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 720
Message 112 of 128

@hzfdbd

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but I just realized that our poweradapters are 65W and not 45W.

We also did a test where we let the battery drop to 45% and then let it be plugged in without shutting it off and very slowly it goes up 1% at a time, nothing like normal charging times, very slowly.

lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 681
Message 113 of 128

@hzfdbd

We've found a temporary solution to stop the battery charging beyond the threshold, but unfortunately you guys have some real QC-ing ahead of you because once you update Lenovo Vantage it will most likely break.

The temporary solution is to install the Lenovo Settings (Enterprise) that is a seperate download outside of the Windows 10 App Store. But again this is temporary, so would still look into it...

On another note the L380 Yoga Thinkpad Trackpoints are fairly unstable sometimes just doing a jittery motion on the screen for 10 seconds moving slowly and you can't take control of the mouse pointer with the trackpad. It may be something you want to put at the bottom of the to-do list since in all fairness it should work out of the box.

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 648
Message 114 of 128

@lenovo_thinkpad, Thank you for your information. I could repro issue for Vantage and we will investigate it.

And could you confirm if Lneovo Setting for enterprise could avoid issue(stop charging from shutdown and system on)?

lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 633
Message 115 of 128

@hzfdbd

In the past 24 hours we have tested it with the following user cases:

- Shutdown; Does no longer charge past 80%.

- Sleep; Does no longer charge past 80%.

- Normal usage, Does creep up 1% every 10-15 min.

This is after installing:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/LenovoSettings_4.10.49.0.zip

However, I still think it needs to be looked at since it still has these quirky behavior of discharging from 80% to 77% within 12 hours of shutdown with charger attached. Not sure why this is because we shut it down at 80% and we have everything turned off including "Always USB ON" (option turned off), so technically nothing should drain power to justify 3% over 12 hours, especially with a charger attached.

On a positive note it is a relief that it seems to be software and/or firmware related!

lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 622
Message 116 of 128

@hzfdbd

A small update. After using Lenovo Vantage for a bit the settings seem to reset so have to reinstall Lenovo Settings (Enterprise) again. A slight pain.

lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 592
Message 117 of 128

@hzfdbd

After less than 48 hours it's back to its old behavior again that being slowly creeping up 1% at a time every 15 minutes or so. Worked flawlessly for a little while. Not sure what has caused it and frankly have work to do. Unless you guys can fix it within a couple of weeks, we will have to send these units back. Good luck.

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 556
Message 118 of 128

We are now investigating on this issue, will update here when we got progress.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 522
Message 119 of 128

We confirmed that ThinkPad L380 and L380 Yoga have a BIOS bug which makes battery charge threshold not work correctly.  We will fix it in an upcoming BIOS version.  Sorry for this trouble.

Oscar1929
Punch Card
Views: 452
Message 120 of 128

@someotherguy

After updating the BIOS to 1.14, the Battery Charge Threshold bug still exist. The battery charge threshold only work at the first time the battery charge to the threshold. If I plugged out the adpater and plugged it back, no matter the system is on or not, the battery start to charge pass through the threshold I set. Even worst is that I can't stop charging by restarting the Battery Charge Threshold in Lenovo Vantage. However, If I set the threshold lower than the battery capacity, the battery charge threshold seems to work properly. 

It even start to keep charging pass through the threshold in the "Sleep mode" on L380. Anyway,  I just rollback to BIOS 1.13, hoping Lenovo can face up to the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors