Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dwayno
Paper Tape
Views: 3,750
Message 11 of 128

Re: Battery Charge Threshold bug - charges past threshold

Windows 10 Pro as it was installed from Lenovo is currently running on ,my T470.

I recently upgraded Lenovo Companion and uninstalled Lenovo Settings. Previous to that, it would happen infrequently, maybe a a few times a week where it would charge one or both of the batteries past the threshold.

However, with the installation of the updated Companion, I'm experiencing what everyone else is, the thresholds are ignored completely, always charging the batteries to 100%.

This isn't the behavior I was originally trying to submit a bug about though, so if Companion's charging thresholding is fixed, it would be nice if it would also not charge if the battery creeps above the threshold.

Model: 20HDCTO1WW

BIOS Version: N1QET67W 1.42

Companion Version: 4.5.3.0

mikew3
Punch Card
Views: 3,731
Message 12 of 128

Its not working for me either. Its random. Most of the time it will respect the threshold. But then randomly I will see it charging all the way up

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,576
Message 13 of 128

@planetjumper,
If you discharge your battery to very low level(near 0% or below 5%) and shutdown the system but keep AC adptor connected. the battery will be charged to full.( Chargethrshold is lost when battery is discharged to no power).
This is a design.

Is this your case?

And battery charge threshold will be re-applied when system is powered on and log into windows.

Yamadajr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,556
Message 14 of 128

Same issue for me with the new Lenovo Companion.  Randomly not respecting charge thresholds.  No problems previously with Lenovo Settings.

anthonyw22
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,512
Message 15 of 128

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as everyone.  I think either the new Companion app or a driver is resetting some settings.  It seems that the battery threshold settings are saved to four registry values:

ChargeStartControl
ChargeStopControl
ChargeStartPercentage
ChargeStopPercentage

These registry values appear in a few locations:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\<Your_battery_ID>]

If I set them manually in the registry, the battery threshold is enabled and every works as expected.  But once I reboot, the battery threshold gets disabled again.  When I check the registry, I can see that these four values are changed back to 0 (disabled).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\ChargeStartControl
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\ChargeStopControl

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\<Your_battery_ID>]\ChargeStartControl
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\<Your_battery_ID>]\ChargeStopControl

I just hope Lenovo issues an update to address this soon.

~anthonyw22

mikew3
Punch Card
Views: 3,502
Message 16 of 128

Anthony, its yet to be determined which registry keys even matter. Yes, these are the entries:

ChargeStartControl
ChargeStopControl
ChargeStartPercentage
ChargeStopPercentage

I'm on a clean install, and I only see the entries in two places:

PWRMGRV\Data

PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\$BATTERY_ID

My t470s has 2 batteries and therefore 2 separate keys. I do not see those entries in this location:

PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data

Now: the $BATTERY_ID keys _DO_ get set correctly by the Companion app, and those may be the only keys that matter. We don't yet know. I also just set the PWRMGRV\Data entries manually within regedit, and those values did persist upon reboot. 

So I just woke up the computer from sleep, used it for a few minutes and it was not charging. The thresholds were working.. Then suddenly it just starts to charge and the $BATTERY_ID/ChargeStartStopControl reg entries are at 0. Simply reopening the Lenovo Companion app and nagivating to the power section reset them back on. I can't figure out whats triggering it to reset. I've tried sleeping and waking up multiple times but that doesn't seem to cause it.

Griszimek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,425
Message 17 of 128

Same problem here with a Thinkpad Helix 2 and an older Thinkpad T420.

There have been a lot of complaints about this issue on the website for Companion customer feedback in the last days:

https://lenovocompanion.uservoice.com/forums/270555-lenovo-companion/category/131895-issues-please-p...

Lenovo should be quite aware of the problem...

thinkmac
Punch Card
Views: 3,409
Message 18 of 128

I am experiencing the same charging past battery threshold issue on 

ThinkPad P50

ThinkPad T470

ThinkPad X1 Carbon (3rd gen)

The common denominator? It is the buggy Lenovo Companion. Aside from the charging issue, the Companion often shows there is a driver update, but it doesn't always show what the driver is for me to even click to install. Whoever did QA on Companion app is doing a crappy job there.

mikew3
Punch Card
Views: 3,319
Message 19 of 128

Question for everyone:

Do you have multiple Windows user accounts? Do you have the Companion app installed on all accounts? Do you have the same power threshold settings on all accounts?

I ask because when I created a 2nd account, I had to download the Companion app again, and when I opened it, the default settings shows thresholds as OFF. For those having problems, please verify

janez33
Punch Card
Views: 3,303
Message 20 of 128

Same issues here. 

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen (20HR)

Windows 10 Pro Build 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors