Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 13 (8,874 Views)

Bug report: Power Manager causes slow performance after resuming from hibernation

I'm using Windows 7 and multiple versions of Power Manager, including the lastest 6.63.1 on an X220.

If I hibernate the computer, when I resume, everything is very slow. For instance, it takes several seconds for a page to show after clicking a tab in Chrome, but that is just an example, almost everything is unresponsive. This occurs for about 5 - 10 min, but everything will eventually work normally. It appears to be related to high page file usage. The longer I wait to resume after hibernation, the more severe the problem seems to be upon resuming.

Disabling the Power Manger service did not correct the problem, but after uninstalling Power Manager, the problem completely dissappeared.

I have seen multiple reports of this from other people. This person links it to Power Manager, but does not give much detail.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/unresponsive-after-resume-fro...

This person also links it Power Manager, but gives a description of how he did it, which may be useful to you.

http://asqueella.blogspot.com/2012/07/windows-7-resuming-from-hibernation-is.html

I have not reinstalled Power Manager, because the computer is unusable after hibernate. I like the program though, so it would be nice if you could address this problem.

Best wishes,

Justin

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 13 (8,801 Views)

Re: Bug report: Power Manager causes slow performance after resuming from hibernation

Since no one has replied to this, I assume nothing is being done about it.

Maybe this is not the right place to report bugs. I looked and did not see an official way to report bugs though, and I saw several other people posting reports on the forums. If this is not the right place, could you direct me to the right place? I use two X220s, so it would be nice to fix this.

Best wishes,

Justin

Lenovo Staff
Message 3 of 13 (8,782 Views)

Re: Bug report: Power Manager causes slow performance after resuming from hibernation

I haven't heard of this specific problem before.  Are you using Power Manager's power plans, or are you using a Windows power plan, at the time this problem happens?

When you are in the slow state, check the advanced power settings in Control Panel.  Processor Power Management -> Maximum processor state.  

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 13 (8,693 Views)

Sorry for the slow reply. I never got an e-mail notifying me.

I currently have Power Manager uninstalled since I use hibernate frequently and my computer was nearly unusable. Previously I was using Power Manager's plans and the problem occured using any plan as I remember, and it wasn't an issue with the maximum processor state. I had heavy disk usage, especially access to the Page File, which is what the person in the second link I posted also described. CPU usage was low. The disk usage was seemingly not related to Power Manager (Chrome was usually the worst), but removing Power Manager completely resolved the problem. If you would find it helpful, I can reinstall Power Manager to confirm that it is not the CPU, but I'm quite confident that even with Maximum Processor state at %100, CPU usage was low when it was slow, and that disk access was the culprit.

The person in the second link says he used the steps here to determine where the issue was: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/

I didn't really follow anything at that site, but in general it seems to me that somehow Power Manager is causing programs to swap most of their data to disk during hibernation. Upon resuming, the programs are all simultaneously trying to read from the page file, causing everything to lock up.

Lenovo Staff
Message 5 of 13 (8,692 Views)

[ Edited ]

Justin_KM,

I discussed this with Power Manager team and they think this problem can happen due to a feature of Power Manager called Fast Hibernation Resume.  The idea is that Power Manager will page out most application memory to disk before the hibernation.  Then the hibernation file will be as small as possible, resulting in a faster resume time.  But I guess it can cause this side effect you found if multiple applications have to page in lots of memory from disk, after the resume.  Then you would end up with heavy disk usage and slow application performance, until finally the memory is restored from pagefile.

Anyway, if you want to try Power Manager again, please install the latest version and then apply this reg file to disable the function that we think is causing your problem:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62276273/DisableFastHibernationResume.reg

Reboot after applying the reg file.  This assumes you are running 64-bit Windows.  If you are running 32-bit Windows, let me know and I will give you a different reg file.

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 13 (8,554 Views)

I am also seeing slow performance for first 10 minutes after resume from hibernation. But on a Z580 with Windows 7 64 bit. Could this be the same? I can't find power manager - but can find Energy Manager. But only options are dust extraction and hard disk shutdown
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 13 (8,244 Views)

Isn't the use of Lenovo's "Power Management" really unnecessary anyway if you use Windows "Power Options" under control panel?
I've tried both updating AND removing Power Management from the Lenovo site....and continually get a DLL error message whenever I open Control Panel. It's irritating, to say the least. Suggestions?? Anyone?
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 13 (7,999 Views)

Hi there,

I own a Lenovo S440 since November 2013 and I can report identical behaviour to the OP. Especially with heavily-used programs like internet browsers with multiple windows open, the time to restore them fully was excessive. It took over 3 minutes to restore most of my browser tabs and have the system in a generally usable condition. (New program launches would take a long time owing to the heavy hard disk accessing and use).

I read this thread and decided to uninstall the power manager to see what would happen. The difference was like between night and day! Resuming from hibernation was so much quicker.

I am running windows 7 professional preinstalled with a core i5 CPU and 4 GB RAM.

Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 13 (7,982 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry it took me so long to try this. I installed Power Manager 6.64.2 and added the registry key you provided. So far it seems that resuming from hibernation works fine, so I accepted this as the solution, but I haven't used the computer much since I tried this.

Although the Fast Hibernation Resume feature, on the face of it, seems like it would increase performance, it is actually slower. With or without the feature activated, the same amount of memory is written to disk during hibernation and read from disk when the computer resumes (even though the hibernation file itself is smaller, the information written to the page file still has to be read back in), so the difference between normal hibernation and Fase hibernation Resume is soley related to how quickly the two read from and write to disk. Unfortunately, the way you've described Fast Resume, it would read and write slower than a typical hibernation.

During a normal hibernation, all information in memory is written continuously to disk, and on resume the disk is read continuosly back into memory. Because it's continuous, the hard disk doesn't need to move the head around, and it can reach full speed, so it goes very quickly.

With Fast Resume activated, during hibernation many processes simultaneously try to access the page file, and since Windows will share time between processes by quickly switching between them, it will be a disorderly access of the hard disk, and the head will jump around, which is very slow. Similarly, during resume, many processes try to access the page file simultaneously, and again access to the hard disk is disordered, and extremely slow.

I suspect that this was not noticable before, because computers did not have enough RAM to hold very large amounts of information in memory, so not much was transfered to the page file. Now that computers can easily have 16 GB of RAM, this is becoming an issue. Unfortunately, it seems that Fast Hibernation Resume was a well-intentioned feature, that is actually quite detrimental, and should probably be removed.

To whomever asked why use Lenovo Power Manager when it merely duplicates features in Windows, Power Manager has some very useful features that Windows doesn't include, such as battery charge thresholds. Configuring options is also much easier with Power Manger than in the quite poor interface provided in Windows.

Cheers, and thanks for helping fix this.

Justin

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 13 (7,937 Views)

Thanks for getting back..........but, (and pardon my
ignorance).......what's this program I have in my task bar tray called
Lenovo Energy Management Software, ver 6.0.1.1?

(Can't remember if it shipped with the computer........added itself
later.......or I downloaded it.)

Can you recommend the ONE program I should be using........and is it
possible/necessary to get rid of the Windows one (since you seem to be
dead-set against it? :-) )

Michael Scott
St. Catharines, ON, CAN
L2N 7E2

Top kudoed Authors