cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Guru
Views: 4,882
Message 271 of 503

Re: ThinkVantage System Update - Update

I think normal terminology in the industry is that "Available May 2009" means available May 31 2009.

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,847
Message 272 of 503

zilla wrote:
I think normal terminology in the industry is that "Available May 2009" means available May 31 2009.

You forgot "at 11:59PM"...  ;-)

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,083
Message 273 of 503

@zilla wrote:

1. The announcement said "May." It didn't specify in which year.

2. It could also have been poor wording for the intended meaning "may be available..."

What's DOS?
Views: 3,705
Message 274 of 503

@hausman wrote:

@zilla wrote:

1. The announcement said "May." It didn't specify in which year.

2. It could also have been poor wording for the intended meaning "may be available..."

for 2: Sorry, but i got the same message in German language, and id says the month may, not maybe Smiley Happy

for 1: Truthfully, your right. What a shame.

docb
Paper Tape
Views: 3,746
Message 275 of 503

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

Good day,

I'm in a managed environment, with my own repositories.  Still cannot get Update Retriever to work.  It'll download the list of what I need for one type of computer at a time, but won't send any of the updates.  I've got 31 different systems with two versions of OS.  I don't have time to manually download the updates, and don't know how to add them to the DB.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DocB

Good day,

Found the new version (3.X) of Update retriever, hopefully this will fix the problems.

Thanks,

DocB

Message Edited by docb on 05-06-2009 07:44 AM
Good day,
The new version only runs full screen on my Vista system, they forgot to include the sizing tabs for the window.  While it did download the updates for all the systems at one time, it never downloaded a single file. Tried downloading updates for one system, then one system and just one OS, no joy.  Still get server error message.
Thanks,
DocB 
Message Edited by docb on 05-06-2009 09:32 AM
Serenityvalley
Punch Card
Views: 3,714
Message 276 of 503

You need to go to This Page and download just about everything on it -espeically the  System Update Deployment Guide and start reading.  It'll take you a few hours to learn what you need to do and implement it if you are familar with editing system registeries and you have some luck and everything goes well.  

Good luck.

I'm fortunate that my girlfriend actually DOES this kind of work for Chicago Public Schools with updating and knows her way around a system when it comes to pushing out computer updates.  She's been an invaluable resource for me.  I'm lucky this whole TVSU debacle hasn't gotten me fired so far.  I'm in the doghouse over it and my "slavish devotion" to thinkpads which now has put a HUGE target on my back because of the mess and all the money it has cost us.  

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff. I can pull apart a computer and put it back together piece by piece and fix any hardware that is broken but I always looked to Lenovo to give me a system that took care of itself as far as system software was concerned.  The old TVSU was easy.  This new "solution" is more broke than fix.  If we have to hire an expert to do this job (or send me to school again to learn it) then we might as well move to Dell.   I can keep a Dell running just as much as a Lenovo hardware-wise, and the money we save on not buying the "so-called top-end" Lenovo will pay for added driver update workload. 

t-man
Serial Port
Views: 3,908
Message 277 of 503

@zilla wrote:

Actually, it usually means May 32, 2009. Smiley Wink

On a side note in regards to UR, you do not need to have any sort of IBM or Lenovo equipment to run it.  I have an HP desktop and the repository is on just a regular file share, and I am able to install, use and update UR with no problems at all.

As mentioned previously, if this is the way that Lenovo is going, it sure would have been nice to give us that information up front, and give us some time to change over.  Especially now after it has been over a month and this supposed new update system was supposed to appear, we hear nothing from Lenovo.  Very unprofessional.

x61s
jlaprise
Punch Card
Views: 3,883
Message 278 of 503

I'm just another longtime ThinkPad fan (R40->T61) who is greatly disappointed by this decision. I work for an academic institution where many faculty are not aware of the importance of updates. The automated system made it easy for many colleagues to worry less about their systems.

The demise of the automated update system makes Lenovo a less attractive solution to my colleauges and I. No doubt this problem will be raised by IT when they are deciding upon notebook computers to outfit the university faculty and staff. 

Highlighted
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,132
Message 279 of 503
Moved:

FULenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,824
Message 280 of 503

Ridiculous customer service

EMAIL TO CUSTOMER SERVICE:Thanks for disabling the Automatic update on my new
computer. I just love the idea of trying to figure out what drivers, etc need
updating for my particular system. And don't worry that my system will never
be up to date again. And don't worry that auto update was a major reason why I
bought from Lenovo. And don't worry that I have previously purchased 4
IBM/Lenovo computers in the past. And don't worry that I am madder than hell at
your corporate dishonesty, greed, and stupidity. No, no, no don't worry about
your short sighted decision to spurn a loyal customer.

RESPONSE FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE:

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for all the inconveniences and dissatisfactions that you experienced due to the discontinuation of ThinkVantage System Update. Lenovo is looking into alternative solutions to serve our customers better. We do hope that similar tools would be made available in the near future.

Once again, we apologize that this service discontinuation has impacted you heavily.

Thank you for contacting the Lenovo Web Content Team.
http://www.lenovo.com/support
05/06/2009 - DDBB-7RRG4J

RESPONSE TO ALL:

As stated above, I have paid a premium three times in the past for IBM/Lenovo products. The last three times, I got value for money spent. Not so this time.  I don’t have time to screw around updating my drivers and system.  That’s a big reason I purchased my latest Lenovo computer.  BECAUSE IT HAD AUTOMATIC UPDATES! Now less than two months later they discontinue one of their best features, and in the process devalue my purchase. To add insult to injury, when I complain, I get this BS response back from them.  Somebody better wise up and fix this situation ASAP, if Lenovo wants to retain its past position as supplier of the best. If not corrected and soon my future computers will be sourced elsewhere.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors