Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 2,894
Message 1 of 4

Corel Burn.Now -- Specifications? Comparison to Windows 7 Built-In?

Has anybody used this tool that came bundled with my new Lenovo 530 and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional SP1?

I want to burn data CDs and DVDs for offline storage and archival.  I need to know the file system used by this software (e.g., UDF, ISO 9660, Mode, Level, Joliet, etc.) and disk format (e.g., Disk-at-Once, multi-session, disk not closed, etc.) in order to assess compatibility with other readers and operating systems.  There is precious little specific information in the "User Guide" provided with the progam.

The same questions apply to the Windows 7 built-in disk burner in "Mastered" format -- I would never use "Live File System" format, whatever that is.
 -- JCW2

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,866
Message 2 of 4

Re: Corel Burn.Now -- Specifications? Comparison to Windows 7 Built-In?

Hello,

I do not think I have run the default provided app for burning CDs/DVDs since Windows XP came out, but I believe Corel BurnNow SD 4.5 is based on ULead Burn.Now 4.5, which I found manual for at http://ftp.ulead.com/pub/Manual/dmf6/BurnNow_User_Manual_5.pdf.

If that is indeed the correct program, it looks like BurnNow supports ISO-9660 and UDF/ISO-9660, Joliet, Mount Ranier,UDF 1.5, 2.0, 2.01, 2.5 and 2.6, and burning Disc-At-Once, Incremental Write, Session-At-Once and Track-At-Once.

Given that the Corel BurnNow program is about four years old now (at least, that seems the be the date on the version I saw for download on Lenovo's support site), it might be better to look for a more modern, frequently-updated program, such as BurnAware, CDBurnerXP,  ImgBurn, ISO Workshop, PowerISO and so forth.

One very important thing to keep in mind is that some of the above programs may come with some kind of third-party app to "sponsor" the application.  Be careful to review any programs when installing them for such things as it is very easy to accidentally install them unless you specifically "opt out" of installing the sponsoring app.  Also, some anti-malware programs may detect the sponsoring app as a potentially unsafe application, program or software (PUA/PUP/PUS).  That is normal (or at least, to be expected), so, again, make sure you don't install any of those programs, unless you want them, for some reason.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 2,853
Message 3 of 4

@goretsky wrote:

...I believe Corel BurnNow SD 4.5 is based on ULead Burn.Now 4.5, which I found manual for at http://ftp.ulead.com/pub/Manual/dmf6/BurnNow_User_Manual_5.pdf.

... it might be better to look for a more modern, frequently-updated program, such as BurnAware, CDBurnerXP,  ImgBurn, ISO Workshop, PowerISO and so forth.

Goretsky -- Thanks **very** much for this excellent response!  I was discouaged after looking at the limited capabilities in Lenovo's "User Guide" for the program, but the original ULead Burn.Now manual that you provided is quite informative and corresponds much better to the actual "Lenovo" program.  Further, the program itself appears to have almost all of the capabilities that I actually need -- multiple file systems, multi-session disks, verify after write.  The only fault I can see so far is that it's Burner>Disk Information command doesn't list state the file system(s) found on the disk nor the size of the individual sessions.  Other than that, it appears more capable than many programs out there.  I think I can live with this!

In case it helps anyone else, along the way I've instlaled trial versions (or full versions in the case of free software) of several other packages including BurnAware Free (which didn't work at all), InfraRecorder (which gave errors as soon as it tried to write and apparently no longer has a help forum), Nero Burning ROM 2014 (which apparently won't write multiple file systems but has the best Disk Info command), and Ashampoo Burning Studio 12 (which reports the worst disk information of all).  At least one of the above installed OpenCandy on my manchine (which MalwareBytes apparently can remove) withOUT giving me any option -- maybe that's reserved for the paid versions?  So far I think "Corel Burn.Now 4.5 is the best of the lot, although it probably doesn't handle exotic disks like BluRay.  Cheers! -- JCW2

JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 2,696
Message 4 of 4

@JCW2 wrote:

...The only fault I can see so far is that it's Burner>Disk Information command doesn't list state the file system(s) found on the disk nor the size of the individual sessions.  Other than that, it appears more capable than many programs out there...

Two addenda to the previous post:

1) Ulead Burn.Now 4.5 (aka. "Corel Burn.Now") doesn't know explicitly about different track "Modes" (e.g., Mode 1, Mode 2 Form 1, etc.) and gives you no direct control over that.  (Nero 2014 **appears** to do this, but my trial copy refused to write data CD-Rs in anything but Mode 1.)

2) The best way I've found to get good diagnosis of a CD-R is to use ISOBuster free -- a really fine program! -- JCW2

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors