Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 12 (3,138 Views)

Lenovo Solution Center Fails

[ Edited ]

I have a relatively new (3 months) ThinkPad P50. There have been several problems and support's solution is always "we'll send you a box". I now have 2 boxes and another on the way. The problems have all been the kinds of things that should be solved via phone, with or without an on-line support connection, but they want me to send the computer in.

The problem is relatively minor. The Solution Center appears to be a poorly engineered piece of software, but I can see that it would be useful -- if it would run. It does not. Following an update this week, I tried it again.

• Normal run: Hardware scan fails with "One or more operations are taking longer than expected. What would you like to do? Retry|Abort" Abort ends the process. Retry resumes the process and the error message eventually returns.
  • So I located the exe (C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Lenovo Solution Center\LSC.exe) and tried running as Administrator: Hardware scan fails with "One or more operations are taking longer than expected. What would you like to do? Retry|Abort" Abort ends the process. Retry resumes the process and the error message eventually returns.

The next step would be to uninstall that application and reinstall it, but I can't find anywhere on the Lenovo site to download it. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds104501 specifies Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 and I have a reasonable expectation that it would work under Windows 10. But I also have a reasonable expectation that if the file was intended for use with Windows 10, Lenovo would label it properly.

That page offers a System Update ("Automatically scan your system and get the latest available updates.") Not so much. It stalls at 97%.

If you've experienced this problem and solved it, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I'll just write off LSC as bloatware and uninstall it.

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 12 (3,102 Views)

Re: Lenovo Solution Center Fails

I believe that this is in the wrong forum section. If an administrator can move it to the right location, please do and I apologize for starting the discussion in the wrong location.

An update: The process did eventually complete after nearly half an hour and listed several updates. Some of these were successful, but the power management update threw a BSOD.

Lenovo Settings offers a new component (ThinkAPSPackage) and gives no choice whether to install it or not. After allowing the installation to proceed and restarting the computer, Lenovo Settings tells me there is a new component (ThinkAPSPackage) and gives no choice whether to install it or not. Great user experience!

There is another application called Lenovo Companion. It also offers a hardware scan. Instead of erroring out in less than a minute, it continues for 2 or 3 minutes before saying "We are unable to run a hardware scan at this time." More great user experience.

Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 12 (3,098 Views)

I run the Lenovo Solutions Center that states it is for Windows 8.1 on my Windows 10 system just fine, so I would definitely uninstall, reinstall, and then when prompted, let it update to the recently released version 3.4.002.    Note:  I did get an CRC error the first few times it tried to update (apparently a known issue) but it did eventually update to 3.4.002.

You might also run each test individually, rather than to a complete hardware scan, as it might point to a particular piece of hardware that is causing the problems, or needs an updated driver.

If you cannot use the Thinkvantage System Update, try downloading and installing the drivers manually from the Lenovo Support site for your system  (I would skip the BIOS for now since they can sometimes go badly).

I would also suggest you run Checkdisk to ensure your filesystem is in good shape, and perhaps run the Windows System File Check utility (SFC) to make sure all of Window's system files are correct too

How to run System File Checker 

1. Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type:  sfc /scannow

Note: Let the System File Check scan run until it completes: even if it appears to hang at about 20%.  It will eventually complete, but may take up to an hour to finish depending on the speed of your system.

Once it completes, it will give one of the following results: 

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"  (If you get this message, then system file corruption was likely not your problem)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"  (If you get this message, then your problem might have been corrupted system  files, and the problem may be fixed)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"  (If you get this message, see below on how to run DISM to fix a corrupt Windows Component Store, and then run the SFC scan again)

Note:  If you get the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"  you will need to run the System File Checker scan in safe mode, but before doing so, make sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp (normally C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp), and if not, create them.

How to start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the SFC scan fails to fix all the corrupt files, there is another tool you can use called the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to download and fix Windows Component Store corruption.    This is needed when the sfc/scannow  command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the Windows Component Store (source) itself is corrupted.

How to run DISM

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  2. Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  3. In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note:  After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Checker again to fix any corrupted system files not repaired earlier during the SFC scan..

Good Luck,

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Message 4 of 12 (3,077 Views)

Lenovo Solution Center is not intended for Windows 10.  Lenovo Companion (which includes is for Windows 10.  In Lenovo Companion, you can run the same hardware scan that Lenovo Solution Center has for Win7/Win8.  Anyway, my recommendation is to uninstall Lenovo Solution Center if you are using Win10.

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 12 (3,019 Views)

I wonder why Lenovo includes the Solution Center on computers that come with Windows 10 when it is not intended to be used with Windows 10. That's a puzzle for another day, though. Here's a status report.

Based on recommendations here, I have removed the Lenovo Solution Center.

Additionally, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Lenovo Companion, which requested that I obtain and install the Lenovo Account Portal. I did that.

Lenovo Settings reported that it needed to install the ThinkAPPS Package. An earlier attempt to do this had failed, but this time the process worked and I was able to open Lenovo Settings following a system restart. (That's a small bit of progress.)

After starting Lenovo Companion, I selected the hardware scan and specified the Quick Scan option. The dots in a circle chased themselves from 3:57pm until 5pm, when I canceled the test.

I tried a second test using the option to select individual tests. More dots in a circle chasing each other. I closed the application.

I had run sfc /scannow a few days ago and it reported no problems.

Additionally today I ran HWiNFO64 (v5.42-3050), which reported no hardware errors and all temperature sensors are well within normal ranges.

Lenovo Staff
Message 6 of 12 (2,887 Views)

Companion's hardware scan is working OK on my P50 here.  After clicking on "Run Quick Tests", I see the spinning dots for about 15 seconds until the "Information" window pops up about running the tests uninterrupted, don't close the app, etc.  Based on your description I assume that you never see this pop up.

Anyway this does sound like a software problem (and not hardware problem) so I need to check with the Companion team about how to debug this kind of issue.

Meanwhile if you just want to run diagnostics you can try the Quick Tests or other Bootable Diagnostics that are listed on this page (below Lenovo Solution Center):

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 12 (2,881 Views)

That's correct. Regardless of which option I select, the pop-up never appears. I'll check out some of the other items based on your link. Thanks!

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 12 (2,713 Views)

I found this topic, cause my LSC crashes when trying to scan the system. Well, I think, this is not good Smiley Wink

After your answer, I have exactly same thoughts as this topic's author: "Why install LSC on brand new Win 10?"

Lenovo Staff
Message 9 of 12 (2,653 Views)

legionmaster wrote:

I found this topic, cause my LSC crashes when trying to scan the system. Well, I think, this is not good Smiley Wink

After your answer, I have exactly same thoughts as this topic's author: "Why install LSC on brand new Win 10?"

Here's the full story about LSC on Win10.  When Win10 1507 launched in July 2015, we had LSC in the Win10 factory preloads.  Starting with the preloads that are built on Win10 1607 in July 2016, LSC was removed and the hardware scanning features were moved to Lenovo Companion.  My point is, LSC is not intended for Win10 1607 or later.  If you are having problems running the Companion hardware scan, let me know and I will try to help debug that.  And there are other options for diagnostics as I wrote in a previous post.

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 12 (2,463 Views)

Just checking to see if there's any update on this. It's still not working. -Thanks.

2017-01-08_11-09-45.png

Top kudoed Authors