Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brutser
Not applicable
Views: 1,069
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Vantage - Some questions

I am configuring a Lenovo Thinkpad T560 for my dad, just finished installing Windows 10 Pro (Dutch).

Now I want to make it easy for him, so I searched for Lenovo Vantage, but I have a few questions regarding this app:

1. In the appstore there is an older Lenovo Vantage (released 2012) and a Lenovo Vantage BETA (released 2019), now I am confused which to use, because the BETA is clearly not 100% finished, but still it is released to the public and the reviews say it is much faster than the original app. Can anyone recommend me what app to go for?

2. I want to create a "standard user" account for my dad, so he does not have administrator rights (it's a little safer for him i think). Can the Lenovo Vantage app still update the system for a user like this? Will this happen in the background, or does it need user interaction before updating the system?

Any other advise regarding how I should setup the Vantage app is welcomed and any additional information about how it works too.

Thank you all!!

Jerry_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 982
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Vantage - Some questions

Hi brutser!

You can download the latest version of the Lenovo Vantage here https://vantage.lenovo.com/ as it is better to use the newer one because of its features. 

The app has a setting that it will automatically download the latest updates for the drivers and let the user know if it needs to reboot. 

You can find more information about the Vantage app by clicking on the link above. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

brutser
Not applicable
Views: 965
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for the link, but the question was more about whether I should install the Lenovo Vantage BETA app (which is also available through the appstore) or the regular one through the link that you replied me (also on the appstore).

Also, can a standard Windows user make full usage of the Vantage app, since installing drivers and changing important Windows settings through the Vantage app will require administrator access if I am not mistaken? Or will admin access be granted to the Vantage app during installation and can it then function correctly for a Standard Windows User?

Highlighted
someotherguy
Not applicable
Views: 918
Message 4 of 7

If I were setting up a machine for my dad, I would not use a beta version of anything (including Lenovo Vantage).

To answer your question about installing driver/software updates.  The Vantage System Update feature runs as a system service so it is able to install these updates regardless of whether user is standard or admin (same as Windows Update).  The updates will automatically be installed weekly (via a scheduled task), or you can run Vantage and manually check for updates at any time.

Note that the first time you run Vantage, you will be prompted to download and install Lenovo System Interface Foundation.  This part requires admin rights, and you will get a User Access Conrol pop up asking for a Windows admin password.  But after it is installed, you won't need admin rights for anything else.

Hope this helps.

brutser
Not applicable
Views: 871
Message 5 of 7

Thanks that really explained all!
AllStar101
Not applicable
Views: 745
Message 6 of 7

I came across this post looking for help with Lenovo Vantage.

How come Lenovo Vantage does not run automatically, even when it indicates that it will run on a certain date?

Also, by reading your response, I do not get prompted to download the Lenovo System Interface Foundation.

I administer 60 lenovo laptops, and they are not updating. Users do not get the update message either. Most users do not have admin rights, but about 10 do. No computers are being updated. I have to run the update manually.

Is there something I need to do?

Thank you.

someotherguy
Not applicable
Views: 740
Message 7 of 7

@AllStar101, I will need more information to help you.  Is Lenovo System Interface Foundation already in your image?  You can confirm this by looking in Device Manager -> System Devices for the System Interface Foundation V2 device.  If it's there, then it's installed.

As for updates.  I want to clarify that Lenovo Vantage does not run automatically.  But there is a scheduled task that will install the updates in the background.  Please check for it in Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Lenovo -> ImController -> Plugins.  You should see a task like LenovoSystemUpdateXYZ and also the details like Next Run Time and Last Run Time.  Has the task ever run on your PC?  If so, can you find the installation history in Vantage -> System Update?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors