Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremiahs
Punch Card
Views: 2,709
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Vantage just updated itself in the background

Same here, I don't want any of these ads or links to their 'legion game store'.

It does feel snappier than the last version but i can't find this release useful, i'm removing it!

Admin note; Opening post removed as a result of necessary housekeeping

Lenovo Employee LaCroix
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,686
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Vantage just updated itself in the background

Thanks for your feedback. Lenovo Vantage is updated through the Microsoft store, and is marked as an optional update.  This is how all the applications are delivered; Adobe, MS core features, etc.

All of the features are the same and the dashboard will be evolving to let users customize it themselves. We are in open beta with the new platform. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or even complaints, feel free to email me directly at lacroix@lenovo.com.

Highlighted
jeremiahs
Punch Card
Views: 2,670
Message 3 of 9

That isn't true. All of my Adobe applications are installed via their creative cloud, and I have granular access to what's installed and when, and if somehow I prefer an older version, I can install that. Microsoft isn't trying to sell me antivirus software, VPN services, password managers, and etc. Please don't conflate what those companies offer to what you're doing here with Vantage.

This app is also not an optional update, my Vantage installation updated in the background automatically with zero manual input. This new version is the official version on the Microsoft Store, Lenovo even has screenshots up of the new version. 

There is a separate Lenovo Vantage beta app on the store, that is not what I have installed.

If this version that's being pushed is an open beta, Lenovo needs our consent.  None of us want a beta app unless we expressly consent to it. Also, I paid almost $3000 for this laptop and accessories, I don't want ads on it for McAfee, Dashlane, VPN, 'WiFi security', or your Legion Game store. That's why I had the Enterprise registry keys installed, this unwanted update does not recognize those keys. 

The new app is snappier but the UI is unintuitive and unnecessarily clunky. 

otyikondo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,433
Message 4 of 9

In addition to the other comments, the flashy new Vantage does NOT have the Health&Support Hardware Scan function - leastways not so I could find it. I have followed the instructions found elsewhere here to restore my previous version (4.27.32.0).

Mind you... as fate would have it, the first attempts I made to perform the Hardware Scan that was missing from the beta update ran into the brick wall of  "We are unable to run a hardware scan at this time". 

So I'm not sure if I'm any better off after all. Smiley Surprised

kaz911
Serial Port
Views: 2,385
Message 5 of 9

I have all updates on my PC set to MANUAL only and it updated anyway.

Not only that - it updated the Power Manager display to the same crap design (inspired by Twitters terrible redesign I guess)

Now I have removed/uninstalled Vantage - but Power Manager still shows the crappy design. 

Don't have time to experiement - but dear LENOVO - the REDESIGN IS TERRIBLE - WASTE SPACE - And looks like  something you would see in a GAME or A TOY - NOT a PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATION like a ThinkPad

P1 G1/P52/P51/P70/X1 Carbon Gen 3/W540/Helix/W520/W510/W700ds/X41t/X60t/X61t/T61p

tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,133
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

I've been a long time ThinkPad user but recently I'm getting frustrated by the changes to tools over and over again.
Lenovo Settings became Lenovo Vantage and alot of features disappeared and it took a long time before Vantage was as complete as Lenovo Settings.
Now there is a new version of Lenovo Vantage and once again it lacks alot of features and I have to learn how to find the settings once again.

All in a span of less than three years.

Sorry, but I don't need any hassle I require tools that does what they are expected to do and that just keep working.

Where did the bluelight setting go, and how do I turn of all the nonsense in Vantage?

ok, I found it, and that I can block vantage.csw.lenovo.com  with my firewall which makes most nonsense not show up.

I've paid good money for my ThinkPad and I'm not interested in any ads.
I don't want to OPT OUT, if anything it should be OPT IN.
I require a tool that has the settings and nothing else.

Great hardware combined with no nonsense easy tools to keep it updated and configured as I want is what I liked about Lenovo (and IBM before that). Without the tools its just great hardware and there are other companies that does that.

Admin note; post merged in, subject edited.

x260 20F6 (CTO1WW) (6500u, 8GB, 256 GB nVMe, Full HD, Backlit keyboard, FingerPrint, SmartCard, 72Wh)
otyikondo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,024
Message 7 of 9

As noted in an earlier post, I uninstalled the unsolicited open beta Vantage and re-installed the tried and tested 4.27.32.0 iteration, and then turned off automatic app updates in MS Store, thinking that was an end to the matter. HOWEVER, the ad-heavy and incomplete new Vantage was back again today, for a second visit! How this happened I cannot tell, but it is not amusing, and it is not making me a happy Lenovo user.  Please desist, or at least give us a means of silencing the **bleep** thing until it is fit for purpose. Thank you. 

jeremiahs
Punch Card
Views: 1,980
Message 8 of 9

@otyikondo wrote:

As noted in an earlier post, I uninstalled the unsolicited open beta Vantage and re-installed the tried and tested 4.27.32.0 iteration, and then turned off automatic app updates in MS Store, thinking that was an end to the matter. HOWEVER, the ad-heavy and incomplete new Vantage was back again today, for a second visit! How this happened I cannot tell, but it is not amusing, and it is not making me a happy Lenovo user.  Please desist, or at least give us a means of silencing the **bleep** thing until it is fit for purpose. Thank you. 

Remove Vantage and all the other Vantage related things, then run this script: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-Lenovo-Vantage-and-Lenov...

Now reboot, then reinstall Vantage from here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/Lenovo-Vantage-install-update-failure-in-...

That will install the old version of Vantage, if you want the new version, just let it automatically update via the Microsoft Store. If you want to keep the old version, disable auto updates in the Microsoft Store.

If you know what you're doing/have time to read through the deployment guide in this package, run the Group Policy edits or the registry edits to remove all the useless crap in Vantage once you have installed the package from the link above. https://support.lenovo.com/il/en/solutions/hf003321

tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,877
Message 9 of 9

Wait, WHAT?

You updated my software to a BETA without my consent to participate in a BETA environment?

Thats even worse than trying to force me to use the tools that you upsell in Vantage.
How do I remove all the paid software recommendations?
I use a password manager but Vantage require me to use a specific one, how is that helpful?

I also use a vpn, but again vantage require me to use a specific one.

My internet security software contains a feature that checks all wifi:s that i connect to, again vantage require me to use one specific tool for the purpose. How is this helpful?
Vantage states that I will get BETTER protection with McAffe LiveSafe than I get with Bitdefender that I'm currently using.
Thats not what AV Comparetives have found in their testing: https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-february-may-2019/ 
In what way is McAffe better?

I've got an unbloated Signature Edition Thinkpad and Vantage tries to undo that.

x260 20F6 (CTO1WW) (6500u, 8GB, 256 GB nVMe, Full HD, Backlit keyboard, FingerPrint, SmartCard, 72Wh)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors