cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 39,433
Message 1 of 42

Lenovo WiFi Security: What is it and what does it do?

Hi, 

The new Lenovo Vantage is insisting on me to use the "Lenovo WiFi Security". Even sending notifications about it. But it doesn't specify about anything it does:

"Lenovo WiFi Security helps protect you from connecting to malicious WiFi networks. Enable this feature to reduce the risk of having your computer and your data exposed to attackers. Lenovo WiFi Security requires access to location information to run optimally. Additional privacy policy information can be viewed here.

To get the most out of Lenovo WiFi Security, we recommend enabling the Lenovo Vantage Toolbar in the  Power Settings  section of Hardware Settings."

The link only provides information about privacy, so... What is this "feature" supposed to do and how exactly?

LenovoWiFiSecurity.png

Cheers.

_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

SLTM
What's DOS?
Views: 38,428
Message 2 of 42

Re: Lenovo WiFi Security: What is it and what does it do?

Yes. I keep getting this annoying pop-up lately as well. It repeats itself every so often and it's starting to get on my nerves. I didn't need this until now and I don't need it now either.

If anyone knows how to stop this notification from popping up, it would be appreciated if you posted it here.

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 38,370
Message 3 of 42

You can turn off notifications for Lenovo Vantage. But I would still like to know what is supposed to do... If anything.
_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

Bballman365
Paper Tape
Views: 37,506
Message 4 of 42

How exactly do you turn off the notifications for the Wi-Fi security? By step would also be great. Thanks!

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 37,493
Message 5 of 42

You just turn off notifications for that specific Windows App... Windows -> Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions -> Get notifications from these senders

Cheers.
_

tntuof
Blue Screen Again
Views: 37,264
Message 6 of 42

So nobody still knows what the heck it actually does?

700-15ISK Laptop (ideapad)
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 36,730
Message 7 of 42

Enabling a "security" feature which does not explain itself is a bad idea, and I recommend not installing Lenovo WiFi Security, at least until it is properly explained.

We do have a bit more information (below). 

What is Lenovo WiFi Security?

• Lenovo WiFi Security, powered by Coronet, detects and analyzes, in real-time, potential security threats from unsafe wireless networks.
  • Protects users from risks of connecting to unsafe wireless networks by distinguishing between legitimate and risky, possibly malicious, networks.
  • Integrated into Lenovo Vantage, with easy, one-click enablement via Preferences menu.

How Does it Work?

• When the user connects to a wireless network, the Coronet algorithm running on the PC examines some characteristics of the network in its determination of the risk level of that network:
  • Collecting radio, data link, and network level properties of the APs (access points)
  • Contrasting this information both across the APs, and per AP over recent time, and (when essential) with the regional and device level reference of the network environments
  • Deriving risk indicators from the above information, and assessing risk level and risk justifications based on the (server-side generated but client-side operated) threat evaluation module

This third party, Coronet, has access to the collected data per Lenovo Vantage's reference to this privacy policy. 

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 36,691
Message 8 of 42

Thank you bananaman for your reply. I couldn't find any information, since Lenovo, WiFi and Security and too vague and widely used search terms. And yes, I totally agree not ot activate anything it doesn't specify what is supposed to do...

For the bit of information you were able to get, it seems to analyze access points based on known ones and some basic policies like with/without encryption, known DNS and such. Maybe some kind of partial implementation of https://coro.net/product

It might be somewhat useful for non tech-savy users. For me it just looks like another uneeded fatware and I'll plan on treating it that way unless more information is provided, showing it has some reaaally sweet features, low workload and is very stable. So... probably won't ever happen, lol.

_

Bimme
What's DOS?
Views: 36,460
Message 9 of 42

Thanks for the info bananaman.

I was curious, so I enabled the feature connected to my home network.

It first said that it was compliant, followed by that it had detected suspicious activity.

But it did not tell me what was suspicious, just the option to disable the network.

I don't think that my network have any problems. but if it do I would like to know what.

But most important, if it flags my home network as suspicious, how should I then respond if I get the same message on a public network? I guess that most networks could have suspicious activity.

Anyone that knows how to find out more information about what is considered as suspicious?

mahn92
What's DOS?
Views: 36,029
Message 10 of 42

Hi,

Coronet says their software protects against the "krack" security exploit on WPA/WPA2 secured wifi networks ("krack" permits to read WPA/WPA2 encrypted communications).

Perhaps it protects against other issues but I think that using a VPN on WIFI networks offers a better level of protection as a VPN connection has its own encryption (except for PPTP which is reported to be vulnerable). Its unclear to me yet if coronet permits to detect a security breach in real time, that could be usefull. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors