cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 6,178
Message 11 of 37

Re: Lenovo WiFi Security: What is it and what does it do?

@mahn92 wrote:

Hi,

Coronet says their software protects against the "krack" security exploit on WPA/WPA2 secured wifi networks ("krack" permits to read WPA/WPA2 encrypted communications).

Perhaps it protects against other issues but I think that using a VPN on WIFI networks offers a better level of protection as a VPN connection has its own encryption (except for PPTP which is reported to be vulnerable). Its unclear to me yet if coronet permits to detect a security breach in real time, that could be usefull. 

Indeed. But in top of that, Lenovo doesn't specify if all those features are included, only part or something else...

_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,149
Message 12 of 37

All,

We have heard your feedback about the 2 items reported here:

1.  Not enough information about what Lenovo WiFi Security is, what it does, how it works, or why someone should enable it

2.  The report from user Bimme that their home network was flagged as suspicious with no additional information about what the problem is.

I don't have any answers yet, but I have forwarded this feedback to the Lenovo WiFi Security team and waiting for their reply.

lenanto
SCSI Port
Views: 6,099
Message 13 of 37

@bananaman where did you find the text you posted?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,073
Message 14 of 37

@lenanto wrote:

@bananaman where did you find the text you posted?

He got it from me.

RGA
Punch Card
Views: 5,917
Message 15 of 37

It's been a week already..., any update? TIA

Gelatinous_Blob
What's DOS?
Views: 5,256
Message 16 of 37

Also keen to find more info on this. The feature is not usable without solving (1) and (2) above.
brobert1984
Paper Tape
Views: 5,119
Message 17 of 37

Recently on EVERY unlock / login now there is a notification to enable this. No matter if I dismiss it or press No thanks; whether Lenovo Vantage is running or not, it keeps reappearing next time.

I have no problem with this being an optional feature. I have no problem asked about it once. But getting this notification all the time makes me consider blocking Lenovo Vantage from the notifications, or even uninstalling it (which would be a bummer as I'd like to keep the machine up-to-date).

I really hope this is just some bug or lazy programming.

jaredbaszler
Paper Tape
Views: 4,836
Message 18 of 37

This seems like some sort of oversight.  Each time I wake my computer up I get this notification like 3 or 4 times.  "No Thanks" should permanently disable this notification but it doesn't.  Frustrating!

ColdRaker
Paper Tape
Views: 4,717
Message 19 of 37

Hey,

there is a deployment package with a manual. It has the Option to deploy it with deactivated features.

I didn't try it myself yet... Only use this if you know what you do and after reading the manual.

Heres the link to the package https://support.lenovo.com/nl/de/solutions/hf003321

Dunnow if this helps anyone, but I bet its worth a try if you don't want all the annoying features, like the mentioned Wifi Security.

Best Regards

Cold

Yogapants
Paper Tape
Views: 4,162
Message 20 of 37

Just disable it

Lenovo WiFi Security appears to be a dud.

More worryingly, enabling this feature sends your device’s location data to Coronet in Israel. This isn’t disclosed anywhere in Lenovo’s Privacy Policy.

I’ve spent a few days testing its capabilities since there is no actual documentation about it or Coronet SecureConnect. The only test that gave a network a bad rating was when I routed all traffic from the router through the Tor onion network and had it exit in Russia. Coronet’s blog has published a few hints here and there about their capabilities, but none of the few specific points they’ve mention actually result in a bad rating. Lenovo WiFi Security also doesn’t block connections to bad networks but only show you an easily missed system notification message about it.

So you should probably disable Lenovo WiFi Security and don’t worry about it. The best case scenario appears to be that you’ll feel better about connecting to unknown WiFi networks. You’ll likely not be any more or less secure.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors