Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,887
Message 1 of 10

Many errors in Event Manager when Vantage is run

I updated Lenovo Vantage to 4.15 as previous version was crashing when checking for updates. Now I get a half dozen errors each time I run Vantage, a few more when checking for updates and two WER dumps and reports thrown when this is all run.

Two are distributed Com

Two are .net Runtime n fwdetectcmd2016.exe

Two are application errors in kernebase.dll with the same fwdetect

Happy to post details, but hoping you have a fix.

Thanks.

~Bob

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,854
Message 2 of 10

Re: Many errors in Event Manager when Vantage is run

what is your machine type? And if you search this exe, what is the location? 

BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,851
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply.

P51S

I cannot right click the tile or search result to see the file location! I do not see it in program files or program files (x86) Lenovo directories. Where should I expect to find this?

~Bob

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,840
Message 4 of 10

This is the issue for updating thunderbolt software. And do you have any Thunderbolt device? Is so, could you connect it and then run system update plugin again?

BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,835
Message 5 of 10

I just realized what path you were asking for is the fwdetectcmd2016.exe. Its in c:\ProgramData\Lenovo\ImController\SystemPluginData\session\repository\n1vt05w

I had thought you meant Vantage, which seems to be a .dll

I have nothing thunderbolt.

Any other way to cure this? Would any of the details of errors help?

Thanks again.

BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,819
Message 6 of 10

You are exactly right this is Thunderbolt. After you mentioned, I saw the system tray icon. And it appears to be disconnecting Thunderbolt (sounds like removing a USB) and then restating the service. So I have a theory:

I use my laptop 99% of the time docked. When docked, you cannot even see the USB-C port and it is not duplicated on the dock. So perhaps that throws the errors? Maybe it is dosconnected when docked?

I will try to run update again today undocked. Think good thoughts. I'll report back.

~Bob

BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,811
Message 7 of 10

Well, was a good idea, but nope Smiley Happy Still throws errors. Unhandled exception in .net as well as app error in kernelbase.

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,787
Message 8 of 10

Here is the steps to fix this issue.

1)Download the ThurderBolt software for your system, for P51s,

Here is download link:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/zh/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

2)run the downloaded software,  which will extract the software to a folder like “C:\Drivers\Win\Thunderbolt”

3) Uncheck the box about “Install Intel Thunderbolt”, do not install it

4)Open C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt, then run setup.msi.  Follow on-screen instructions to update the Thunderbolt software

5) Run Vantage again, there won’t be any more fwdetect crashes.

BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,783
Message 9 of 10

Off to give it a try. Thanks!
BobU
Punch Card
Views: 1,780
Message 10 of 10

Ran and it did disocnnect and reconnet Thunderbolt when checking System Updates, but did not see the Event Viewer Errors. Brought up an update for the Thunderbolt firmware update which I am running, then rebooting.Its flashing the firmware as I type.

Once rebooted will check event viewer, run Vanatage, check event viewer and report back..................................................................

OOPS. Odd message about new PD version. Put into G3 mode? Shut down and unplug. Hmmmm.....................................................

Yet is seems to be rebooting anyway even though that odd "G3 shutdown and unplug" message. Rebooting...................................

Rebooted just fine. No intention to shutdown and pull plug unless you recommend that and can explain.

Checking device manager - OK

Checking Events - None of those related to this thread.

Running Vantage. System Update.

Checking Events again - The errors are gone as you predicted!

Seems like you found an elegant solution! Odd the driver and service were never installed nor ever came up at System Updates.

Do know it is incredibly appreciated you took an interest and are knowledgeable and the recommendations to run SFC, etc in most posts were not here.

If you have any interest in heping with the numerous 10016 DCOM errors including those that JUST started in Windows Security Systems, I will post a new topic with a good bit of the most prominent. If not, I fully understand.

Thanks again.

~Bob

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors