Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nvanm
Paper Tape
Views: 491
Message 1 of 17

Microsoft Desktop apps again

Hi there, I have deployed roughly 150 E series laptops in an educational environment. Last year when I did the first round, I got stuck with the Micrsofot  Desktop Apps problem and O365 popping up when you launch a microsoft office app. Like many of the other threads on here regarding this, we have our own lovume licensing solution. Aside from launching the wrong app, users cant set a signature with Micrsoft Desktop apps installed. It simply freezes. Unfortunatley in the deployment, uninstalling the app doesnt work, because it returns as soon as a new user logs in. This has been established and documented. I have set GPOs to try and resolve this, but as soon as an educator takes the laptop offsite and logs in, this fails.

I read on here about a powershell command to permanently remove Microsoft desktop apps, and tried this on a few laptops today. It did actually remove the software from SETTINGS>APPS however, launching our Office 2016 apps (any of them) brings up the Office 365 nag about Try Buy or Activate.

There has to be a solution to not have This built in garbage come up with every new user. I am consulting with a different school now and I will have to walk away from Lenovo if I cant find a solution that doesnt require a support ticket and uninstall for every logged in user. Please help.

regards

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 419
Message 2 of 17

Re: Microsoft Desktop apps again

Hi and sorry for this trouble.  See if this helps you:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT507832

You need to uninstall the preloaded version of Office if you want to use a different version.

nvanm
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 3 of 17

Good morning; this doesnt help. I have done this command, and now Im left with the office 365 pop over for 

TRY BUY ACTIVATE.

$AppToRemove = "Microsoft.Office.*"

Get-AppxPackage | where {$_.Name -like $AppToRemove} | Remove-AppxPackage -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | where {$_.PackageName -like $AppToRemove} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Literally worse than having the desktop app installed. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 358
Message 4 of 17

Could you please try the script that was linked in the article I provided previously?

https://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/attachments/lnv/tp07_en/75933/1/uninstall_preloaded_office.zip

If the problem still happens, I need more information about what could still be installed to cause this problem.  Please create 2 text files with the following commands (from an admin powershell) and attach them here:

Get-AppxPackage > output1.txt

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online > output2.txt

nvanm
Paper Tape
Views: 313
Message 5 of 17

nvanm
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 6 of 17

screen shot. O365 nag with Word 2016 behind it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 300
Message 7 of 17

I'm not sure how this situation is possible when your output files show that Microsoft Office store app is not installed.

Is it installed as a desktop app in Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features?  Can you please post screenshot showing all your installed apps?

nvanm
Paper Tape
Views: 296
Message 8 of 17

here you go. I did 3 laptops yesterday, and the result is the same on all of them.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 263
Message 9 of 17

Can you please check if this solution from Microsoft works for you?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/office-repeatedly-prompts-you-to-activate-on-a-new-pc-a9a6b...

According to the article, this situation happens when you install Office 2016 before uninstalling the trial version of Office 365.

Highlighted
nvanm
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 10 of 17

Actually that didnt happen. Its was uninstalled with the script before I installed Office 2016. I dont install software until it is on the doamin. Im glad to check the link though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors