Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

41 Posts

01-10-2018

United States of America

79 Signins

549 Page Views

• Views: 549
  • Message 1 of 5

PSA - Lenovo Vantage Missing Features and Reinstallation Problems

2019-11-29, 19:48 PM

Just wanted to make another post here for people who might find themselves in a simliar situation.

After a while of Googling and some independent investigation I came to a solution and indeed there are some scattered posts that may help, but the fact that it took me too long to find I decided to make a consolidated post that others might find useful.

I've had Vantage running on my system for about a year.  Despite some intial installation issues it has been running fine.

I wanted to run a battery reset procedure the other day and I clicked on the battery icon in my Vantage toolbar and chose "Go To Lenovo Vantage."  For some reason, Vantage said it wasn't on my system anymore (despite me never uninstalling it - with this I have 100% certainty).  I thought this was weird, but it brought me to a link to the Microsoft Store where Vantage was listed.  I had no idea why it was not still installed on my system (despite all the supporting apps still showing in my Add/Remove Programs), but I went ahead and installed it again from the Store.

Installation was fine, but I noticed the UI look had completely changed.  It also appeared many features, including the Battery Reset were missing.  Turns out this is a known issue:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/New-version-of-Lenovo-Vantage-10-xxxx-is-missing-features/ta-p/4498027

(I'll try not to rant too long about how ridiculous it is for Lenovo to remove the old versions from the store and release a new version that is basically functionless beyond what Windows can do on its own.  The only explanation that exists for my Vantage app from being removed is that either a) A Windows update made it incompatible and was automatically removed or b) Vantage somehow removed itself or was forcing an update (I tend to believe this one since my Vantage toolbar was still installed and working fine, just not the main app).  For Lenovo to force this upgrade to what they are offering now in their lackluster 10.xxx versions is really a poor poor move. /rant)

As this new version was horrendous, I wasn't going to have any of it - it couldn't perform the most basic features required from a piece of management software.

Unfortunately, I hadn't come across this article yet, and didn't realize I could install the enterprise version to get my old functionality back (and prevent future problems from Microsoft Store upgrades).  Instead I was searching on how to install an older version when I came across this:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/Lenovo-Vantage-install-update-failure-in-Microsoft-Store/ta-p/4196489

So I downloaded the offline version.  I wasn't sure how far back I would need to go to get a version that had the appropriate features, but it turned out that it really didn't matter - since I couldn't get it installed at all.  I was having many of the issues with the PowerShell installer that were mentioned here when trying to install the appx bundle:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Pre-Installed-Lenovo-Software/Can-t-download-Lenovo-Vantage-from-windows-store/td-p/4093272

I gave up, decided to just install the version back from the Store and hope that it would be updated eventually to support the missing features.  However, everytime I tried to install from the Store I was given error 0x80073D05 by the installer.

So I couldn't install any version of the software via the Store or offline.  I then found this and thought I struck gold:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-Lenovo-Vantage-and-Lenovo-System-Interface/ta-p/4297768

That did uninstall something, but there was obviously something left on the system which was causing issue with a resinstallation.

After searching outside the scope of Lenovo Vantage for the 0x80073D05 error, I discovered that there were remnants of the Vantage software still located at:

C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\Packages\E046963F.LenovoCompanion_k1h2ywk1493x8

For some reason I couldn't delete the folder, I was being given some errors by Windows.  I had to drill down and individually delete some subfolders and then I was able to remove the entire folder.

After this was removed I was able to reinstall the Enterprise Vantage software back without issue and get my features back!

* (As it turns out, a user in one of the above referenced threads actually found a similar solution here.  As he was getting a different error code: 0x80073cfb - I think I had glossed over his solution.  Had I tried it I might have saved myself another 30 minutes of independent research).

Options

2 Posts

06-19-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:PSA - Lenovo Vantage Missing Features and Reinstallation Problems

2021-02-09, 21:31 PM

Thank you so much! I can't believe how much digging it took for me to find your post that actually solved my problem. It's a bit ridiculous that the same problem is occuring on updates 2 years after your initial post.

Options

3642 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

284 Signins

18310 Page Views

• Views: 18310
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-02-10, 14:13 PM

Hello Robgo,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Good to hear that this thread solved your problem.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

12-27-2018

Switzerland

6 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-09-13, 8:36 AM

That was it!!! Removed the Folder an it worked! Thanks sooo much!

C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\Packages\E046963F.LenovoCompanion_k1h2ywk1493x8
Options

3642 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

284 Signins

18310 Page Views

• Views: 18310
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-09-22, 1:24 AM

Glad it worked for you @Mike4900  
Take care.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms