Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itashman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,664
Message 1 of 6

Recovery Partition there but I can't get to it

My X61s had Vista 32 from the factory.  I did a fresh install leaving the partitions alone, with Vista 64.  I installed Lenovo System Update to get the drivers back.  When I press the blue ThinkVantage button at bootup, it just gives me those 3 options - I can't remember what they are.  How can I get it to boot into the recovery partition?  I know all the stuff is still there because if I do a backup of the partition with Acronis, and restore to a folder on the C: drive, all the stuff is still there and it is almost 5 gig of stuff.

I want to burn recovery DVD's in case I want to go back to the factory state.

Thanks in advance.

Giraff
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,625
Message 2 of 6

Re: Recovery Partition there but I can't get to it

I don't have the answer but I want to how.

I have the same problem with my X200 Smiley Sad

Itashman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,520
Message 3 of 6

anyone??
Retired Guru
Views: 1,502
Message 4 of 6

Am no expert on this but as nobody else is answering:

My T500 comes w three partitions, the S partition contains R&R but its also the partition the system boots from although the C partition is the system drive. The Q partition contains the backup of the C partition for resetting it to factory settings. After you have made the recovery disks you can delete the Q partition but you still need the S partition to boot from.

So I don't understand what you mean with a fresh install of Vista 64 but if you mean a clean install from Vista64 media I don't see how you could do that without moving the boot partition to be the new Vista64 C partition. So how can you now boot into the S partition at all?

But on the other hand why do you want to boot into the S partition if all you want to do is create recovery disks? The program creating recovery disks is run from the C partition as its backing up the Q and S partitions  If you have installed Thinkvantage on your Vista64 system I have no idea if the create product recovery media application in the Thinkvantage folder in Control Panel All Programs will be able to successfully back up a 32-bit Q and S partition.

But it's no big deal if you now can't make the recovery disks. Lenovo support will ship them to you for I believe around $50 or €50 depending on your geography.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-04-25 02:58 AM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Itashman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,480
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I don't particularly want to spend $50.  My X61s has two partitions.  The first one is a 5gb partition with no drive letter.  The other partition is C:.  I did a clean install of Vista64 media, formating the C: partition, but leaving the 5gb one alone. 

From what you're saying the Lenovo's usually boots from the S partition, and it just basically wait a couple of seconds to see if you press the blue ThinkVantage button, and if you don't, it starts up the C: partition - and if you do, it runs R&R.   I guess when I installed Vista64, the boot sector is booting directly to C:, so there's no way for me to get into S to run R&R.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,470
Message 6 of 6

Yes that's what I think. However your X61 has a different one recovery partition setup relative to my two Q and S partition setup, see here.

Anyway my second point was that the program to create recovery media resides in the Thinkvantage folder of the C partition, there is no way to create media from the R&R partition itself. This I know is the same for older and newer Thinkpads having recently made the recovery disks on my T42 when upgrading to a larger hard disk.

So if you havn't done so try installing R&R 4.21 in your Vista64 system and see if it recognizes the recovery partition enough that you are able to use the Create Product Recovery Media program in the Thinkvantage folder in All programs. R&R isn't in the Driver Matrix, you have to find it and all the patches required both to Vista and to R&R itself here.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-04-25 01:19 PM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors