Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 30 (7,885 Views)

Registry Reviver - Recommended by Lenovo

[ Edited ]

I just had a Lenovo Solutions Center Update pop up, and it installed Registry Reviver. That is not what I expected out of Lenovo. Has anyone else seen this? Was this an anomaly?

Former Administrator
Message 2 of 30 (7,352 Views)

Re: Registry Reviver - Recommended by Lenovo

There are a few packages being tested which will offer the user the option of installing other software options.

It will not install without your permission, but I think most of us get used to clicking "yes, I agree" as we step through installs and might miss the prompt.

Did you install the package?  Did you elect to keep it, or did you immediately uninstall it?

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 30 (7,327 Views)

I am used to clicking "Yes, I agree", especially when it comes to Lenovo solutions updates. During that time I saw it pop up that it wanted to install Registry Reviver, and I was curious as to see what it was that was being installed. Maybe a new feature to the Thinkcentre package, a registry cleaner? Long behold it was a third party software that costs $29.99 to activate. I started searching some forums and found many people who found Registry Reviver to be similar to a fake antivirus type program. It finds stuff wrong with the registry that somehow is not actually bad. Why not partner with a software manufacturer that is free, as there are many out there, such as CCleaner? Is the money you get from Registry Reviver worth jeapordizing the Lenovo Thinkcentre name?

I immediately uninstalled the package after seeing the activation pricing and the "items" that were wrong with my PC. I have enough knowledge to know that they were trying to scare me into thinking I had a problem. However, the scare tactic that there are problems with the computer have notoriusly been effective in scaring people into purchasing these software programs. It also promotes the install of other malicious trojans that accomplish the same tasks.

Those are my feelings on this third party package install from Lenovo. I would love to hear what others in the community have to say about this.

Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 30 (7,316 Views)

Hi Dhankins,

I am one of the founders of ReviverSoft and thought I'd weigh in here. 

While it's true that some (many?) companies in the software utility space are less than reputable in their practices, my business partner and I started ReviverSoft over 4 years ago to become the trusted destination for all things PC repair, optimization and maintenance related. In addition to selling software products, we also offer free software and publish free content including how to articles and videos to help visitors to our site peform many of the repair and maintenance tasks themselves, if they so desire. 

In our opinion, Registry maintenance is a valuable part of a comprehensive PC maintenance plan, along with many other tasks. Registry maintenance in particular, however, is quite an involved and delicate task that many people feel uncomfortable with, and so a utility like ours will take alot of the stress and worry out of the picture. I can assure you that we do not inflate our error count. We only scan for essential/critical Registry errors is our default scan so not to inflate our count and alarm users unecessarily. You can check this yourself by looking under the "options" section and we have our "deep scan" option unchecked by default. We have had the issue in the past where customers have questioned the discrepancy in error volume between our product and others, and we made the decision to keep the deep scan unchecked by default for the very reason you raise as a concern. Again, we are most certainly not in the business of unnecessarily alarming our customers into action - it's not good for anyone. 

Trust and reputation is of paramount importance to us. Yes, it is true that there were some less than favorable comments about us back in 2009 and early 2010, but I can say that we very quickly made changes as we listened to the comments from our users. It was essential for us to stay true to our objective - to become the trusted destination in this space. We think we have done a pretty good job since. We invest heavily in our product R&D, we invest heavily in free content production, and one of the most important investments we make is to have all of our website and also our products put through rigorous trust certifications including Symantec, McAfee and the very comprehensive TrustE download certification program. We do this to further allevaite concern of any malicious intent or activity occuring while using our website or products. . 

I hope this goes someway in reassuring you and the community of our business, our philosophy and our practices here at ReviverSoft. You are always welcome to contact us directly at founders@reviversoft.com. The email comes directly to us and we are always ready to hear from and engage with the community.

Thanks for your time. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 30 (7,301 Views)

Davide,

Welcome aboard the discussion, and I understand why you would take your reputation seriously with your company. The biggest problem I have is not so much with your software itself, but the "tactic" that is used. Thank you for not pushing the deep scan to start with. Whether you tell me I have 18 errors on my computer, or 500, that is still going to scare users into thinking that they need to purchase your software. Lenovo is encompassing it with their update, which means that most people (just like Java installs) is going to allow the installation to go through and you are going to get more scared people purchasing the software. If they changed it to an Ad in Lenovo Solutions Manager, instead of installing with, I believe it would be a better practice. I can see that you may not get as many downloads that way, but do you not agree that it would be better practice, instead of having a pop up come up during the installation to include the software package?

So far I haven't heard from anyone else in the forums, I don't know if I was a first to get this situation popping up on a company computer or not. I may just be overly cautious and paranoid about the way it is being added to our computers. I am open to hashing out the details, but I would prefer to do it in an open forum at this point instead of behind private email.

Respectfully,

David

Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 30 (7,247 Views)

Hi David,

Thanks for acknowleding and understanding our position and goals of our company. 

It sounds like Lenovo are trialing some different things, and according to Mark from Lenovo in his earlier post, if any additional offer is presented with a Lenovo offering, it is done so as a "user opt-in" that requires acceptance from the user. I'll have to leave it to them to comment on how they're doing it as I don't have any control over that part. Smiley Happy I do, however, trust that Lenovo are very mindful of their user experience though, and will take any comments on board seriously - after all, that's how they've established such a strong and positive brand reputation.

As another point, I also think it's worth considering that what one person might find unnecessary or a stretch for usefulness, another might find tremendously useful. Again, I can only talk to our software but I know that some people find driver updating software a little redundant. For me, I think it's incredibly useful since I don't have the time nor inclination to try and keep on top of all the drivers my system might need, and then having to go and find and update each one individually. The tricky part, as we've touched on previously, is to try and decipher who the trustworthy companies are that provide such a service.

In any case, I too look forward to hearing what others think on the matter. 

Community Moderator
Message 7 of 30 (7,234 Views)

My personal opinion that ANY registry cleaner should not be installed in any fashion by most users. To use these tools with any amount of competence, you need to know a lot more about the registry than most users do. I have no personal experience with this tool, but in past experience even registry cleaners from other vendors remove way to many entries, some of which are needed by Windows or the installed software.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 8 of 30 (7,086 Views)

I recently purchased a refurbished T430s from Lenovo and have not yet installed any programs--not even MS Office.  The only activity I have performed, to date, with the laptop is to install some critical Windows updates upon initially turning on the laptop, browse to the website of a known computer parts supplier, swap the HDD for an SSD (this was done by an IT professional), renamed the recovery drive from "D" back to "Q" following the HDD/SSD swap; and updated the Lenovo Solutions Center.  During that last update, Lenovo "recommended" that I install "Registry Reviver."  And, I did.  Out of curiosity, I ran the scan.  One hundred one errors were found on this nearly prinstine machine!  How can that be?   The errors are noted as follows:  App Paths (2); Uninstall Entries (21); Shared DLL (29); File Associations (10); and Com/ActiveX (39).  I have NOT repaired these "errors."  How can it be that there are so many errors on a nearly pristine hard drive?   If a Lenovo recommended registry tool finds so many errors on a Lenovo laptop that has not been used, what does that say about the tool or about Lenovo?

Using T430s on Win 7 Pro
Blue Screen Again
Message 9 of 30 (7,028 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi OrechDin,

Changes to the Windows Registry can begin to occur as soon as a fresh installation of Windows is performed, when temp folders and files are created then *removed* to perform the installation. Sometimes these folders and files are not removed, leading to orphaned and/or obsolete references. The same may be true for the installation of Windows updates, other software installed, or perhaps even the Lenovo Solutions Centre software. This is not uncommon and over time these, along with other Registry errors, can eventually lead to Registry bloat.

All this being said, I cannot comment specifically on the errors that were found during your scan, however I would be more than happy to have our team take a look at your scan logs and provide you with the specific details on the items found.

If you wish, you can submit your scan logs to me in 1 of 2 ways:

1. In product

Launch Registry Reviver and navigate to Options>>Error Log. Fill in the details here and enter Att: Davide DeVellis in the "Details of Error" section. Please send me an email to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com once you've done this and I will get it looked at immediately.

2. Via Email.

On your PC, navigate to this location: C:\Program Files\ReviverSoft\Registry Reviver\Logs. Copy all the files in this folder and include them as attachments in your email to me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com.

I hope this information helps and I'd be happy to answer any other questions specifically about our product or practices.

Moderator Note; e-mail address removed. Posting an e-mail address is inviting spam, please use the forum's private message function to provide / exchange addresses

Bit Torrent
Message 10 of 30 (7,010 Views)

[ Edited ]

This forum is titled THINKVANTAGE  Technologies. Registry Reviver is a 3rd party product and any questions or commentary should be on 3rd party web site.  The only question MIGHT be should LSC offer this product as install option/pop up install.   I installed LSC the other day and was NOT offered this cleaner. I will install LSC again to check SETTINGS to see if there is an OPT-out for Lenovo special offers. 

ALSO, the install of LSC, and the recommendation to take a RNR backup or windows backup CONTINUES to say you do not have enough free space to take a backup, click here to buy more HDD.  120GGB free space will hold a lot of typical C drived used space. LSC, on initial install states I have Not taken a backup.  RNR backups taken for a long time.  LSC should check the Registry for RNR entries stating such. 

Note:  I do agree with the Kudos to user Hoov and Orechdin.

Note: DDevellis joined this Forum Jan 30, 2014.  Wonder if he has Lenovo branded machines?

Note: A lot of drivers were issued in Jan 2014, to support WIN 8.2 and WIN 9. Many posts recently of System Update/thin installer/update retriever not offering current much less older (sept 2013) drivers for a device, like a Intel lan pro 100 or Nvidia high tech video. Win 8.2 is april 2014; win 9 some time in early 2015.

If I were Orechdin, with a refurbished machine and LSC offers me 3rd party software  and the driver for Lan device xxx offered nothing via SU, I would be ******** . upset. It sounds like squished.

Top kudoed Authors