Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sadley
What's DOS?
Views: 2,598
Message 1 of 3

System Migration Assistant

Wondered if anyone can point out the obvious for me. Smiley Happy I have ran the SMA on the old machine as admin and copied the current profile (admin) and another one. Log into the new machine as admin. Run SMA again and migrate both profiles. (admin being the current one, and one other in the background) Everything works great for the admin profile (because that is the one I am currently logged in as.) But when I log in as the other profile I had migrated. I get an SMA Seed error pop up saying it can not find the task file. Any help or suggestions ?? I have had this work only once where when I logged in as the other profile and everything worked...even desktop icons and wallpaper.
Eric67
What's DOS?
Views: 2,413
Message 2 of 3

Re: System Migration Assistant

Sadley, I am seeing the same issue.  Did you ever find a cause?
sadley
What's DOS?
Views: 2,376
Message 3 of 3

Re: System Migration Assistant

I think I may have found a cause.  In the first place when I was saving the .SMA file I was saving it to a flash drive plugged into the old machine.  Then plugging the same flash drive into the new machine and running the tool.  So it seems that SMA does not bring all the necessary files to the hard drive when you run the restore.  So when you log in with one of the accounts you loaded in the background, it is still looking for that .SMA file, which of course is on your flash drive.

Try this and it might work.  When you run the tool on the old machine, actually choose your destination as a local folder, c:\temp for example.  Then copy it to your flash drive, and on the new machine copy it to c:\temp (exact same location) and then run the restore on the SMA tool.

Message Edited by sadley on 04-24-2009 07:34 AM
Message Edited by sadley on 04-24-2009 07:34 AM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors