Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tudse
What's DOS?
Views: 7,203
Message 1 of 47

System Update hangs at 97% on “Processing package information”

I have for a while had the problem that System Update is not completing the search for available update for my laptop X! Carbon running Win10 64-bit, it hangs every time at 97% and never completes or continues beyond 97%.

Have tried several things including removing all Lenovo tool and reinstallation of new version of System Update 5.07.0065.

Suggestions?

Lenovo Employee jerrycq
Lenovo Employee
Views: 7,021
Message 2 of 47

Re: System Update hangs at 97% on “Processing package information”

Hi Tudse,

Would you please try to backup every thing  under folder C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\ firstly, and then please delete everything under C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\, then rerun TVSU to see if issue gone away or not?Thanks.

Tudse
What's DOS?
Views: 7,005
Message 3 of 47

Sure, unfortunatly same problem after backup and deletion of the content in C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\ when running the System Update.

Lenovo Employee jerrycq
Lenovo Employee
Views: 6,910
Message 4 of 47

Hi Tusde,

Then could you please try uninstall and reinstall lenovo system update? you could download it from below URL.Thanks.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/zh/solutions/ht037099#tvsu

Tudse
What's DOS?
Views: 6,903
Message 5 of 47

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply, the link refers to the same version of System Updated as stated in the problem description, where I had removed all Lenovo tools including System Update prior to re-installing.

I hope that Lenovo eventually figures out what the root cause is for the tool to hanging at processing package information at 97%, it seams to have been around for a while looking at the recommendations provide in the Lenovo forum (7 years).

It’s a great system tool when it’s working, I don’t have more time to spend on this – considering going for MacBook…
Lenovo Employee jerrycq
Lenovo Employee
Views: 6,871
Message 6 of 47

Hi Tudse,

Sorry for the trouble.

We did strongly hope we can figour out the problem rootcause and fix it. But since this is just a intermittently happen issue and the fail rate is very rare, we could not reproduced it here in our Lab, hence we did not have the failure envrionment to debug the rootcause .I know I provided the same version you have already installed. But some times  a uninstall/reinstall action(even with the same version)  maybe helps you fix some weired issue quickly, that's why I asked you try it .

BTW, is it possible for you to allow us remote connect to your system for a remote debuging? Thanks.

JaminBarrett
Paper Tape
Views: 6,855
Message 7 of 47

I am having the same issue (using 5.07.0065 of System Update).

Please note that CPU usage of WMI Provider Host (32 bit) goes to about 20% and remains there when the application until after a reboot after the system update is attempted.

JaminBarrett
Paper Tape
Views: 6,852
Message 8 of 47

I also tried the update using the lenovo website automatic update and using the lenovo vanatage software with similar results.

I tried uninstalling lenovo system update and reinstalling with the provided link with no improvement.

MonkyKnifeFight
Paper Tape
Views: 6,824
Message 9 of 47

For what it's worth, I commonly see System Update appear to hang at about 95-97%, especially on low-spec machines. In all of the situations where this has happened, I've left it alone and it will eventually pull up the needed updates window. I've seen it take in excess of 10 minutes on a machine with non-SSD hard drive and 4GBs of memory. I've not been able to determine that it's affected by the number of updates that are needed - it seems to take that long if there are 15 updates or zero but the speed is definetely helped out by having faster hardware. 

JaminBarrett
Paper Tape
Views: 6,812
Message 10 of 47

I left my machine overnight with no luck.  My machine has 16GB of memory, a solid state drive and an i7 processor.  It appears to me that there is something going on with the utilty that my installation doesn't like.  I have tried the Lenovo System Update utility, the web based system update utilty and the system update built into Lenovo Vantage.  Each time I run an instance of system update, a new WMI Provider Host task is created using about 17.5% (for each task) of of my cpu.  The only way t hat I can kill the task is to re-boot my machine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors