cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dobro1
Punch Card
Views: 12,029
Message 1 of 9

TPM Problem? Client Security Solutions Problem? AMT configuration?

When I start or restart and after login I get a Client Security Solutions window which says:

"There was a problem connecting to the TPM (security device) on this computer.  It is possible that the anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection.  A missing or disabled device driver could also cause this problem.  Please refer to the online documentation for further information" 

I press (OK) and the screen goes away and the computer runs fine. However, I can't get the Client Security Solutions or the Lenovo System Toolbox programs to run although they both show in the Programs menu.  There is no BIOS update showing in Lenovo system update.  When I check the Intel Management and Security Status from the task bar the "Event History" shows TPM "not detected."  Also the Intel AMT tab status shows status as "unconfigured" and Mode as "awaiting configuration.  In Device Manager it shows the TPM is working properly. 

How do I configure the AMT, fix the TPM error message, and get the the 2 programs (above) to run? Are these problems somehow interrelated.  

T500 2242CTO, Vista Home Basic w/SP-1, Windows firewall enabled, AVG anti-virus, 

Thanks.  

update 1/12.  Ran the TPM Wizard from run command.  It opened but could not detect a TPM chip.  Checked BIOS and chip was "enabled."  Maybe I have a bad TPM chip?

Message Edited by Dobro1 on 01-11-2009 02:21 PM
Message Edited by Dobro1 on 01-12-2009 10:05 AM
Dobro1
Punch Card
Views: 11,983
Message 2 of 9

Re: TPM Problem? Client Security Solutions Problem? AMT configuration?

Problem solved by call to Lenovo.
MrKEK
What's DOS?
Views: 11,844
Message 3 of 9

Dobro1 - The solution listed only states that the problem was solved by a call to Lenovo.  What was the solution?  Was it simple, or do we all have to call Lenovo?
ThinkFirst
Punch Card
Views: 11,565
Message 4 of 9

I am encountering exactly the same issue, have called Lenovo and they haven't been able to solve yet. Please share the solution with us Smiley Sad.

Thanks

J8stringer
Punch Card
Views: 11,509
Message 5 of 9

I also had the same problem. I disabled the TPM in the BIOS & saved the change. restart. Lenovo's solution was to delete some additional client security files that I was not going to use (they were somehow connected to the error)  Once I did all that, after 2X restarting, the error message went away.   I cannot remember what the files were right now, but phone CSR support was very good in their assistance.  I hope this helps someone.
Slammer31p
Punch Card
Views: 10,339
Message 6 of 9

I had this exact problem about on Thursday of last week, it is now Tuesday.   After spending a considerable amount of time talking to three support reps in Atlanta over a period of about six hours, they could not help me solve the problem.   

My system was inoperable.   Device Manager would not appear, programs would not work, a dialog box took ten minutes to show, it was a mess.  I'm afraid the support reps had no clue.  in addition they would not allow me to go up a level.

Well, my only choice was to restore my system from my latest backup, the previous afternoon.  which really wasn't a major issue for me, I use ShadowProtect which works like a dream.  Anyway, guess what my restored system still presented the same error, with the same inoperable system status.   

Well, my only solution was to go to a Factory Recovered operating system and rebuild my system from scratch. Chalking up about sixteen hours and wasting my weekend . . .I'm now back up and running.

However, the question now is, should I use Client Security Solutions.   Should I use the Fingerprint reader.   Should I reenroll?  Right now, I'm not going to do that, unless someone from Lenovo can tell me what the h__ happened.

Thanks

Message Edited by Slammer31p on 03-31-2009 02:06 PM
dcunningham42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,790
Message 7 of 9

We have experienced this issue with multiple systems and have found at least two possible ways to resolve it:

1.  Disable the Security Chip in BIOS.  For a T400, there are three settings: Active, Inactive, and Disabled.  "Disabled" fixes the symptom (the error message, "cannot connect to TPM device" ) and leaves your fingerprint reader functional.

2.  To address the root cause is more involved.  According to a ThinkVantage developer at Lenovo, the Client Security Solution has not been tested and is not fully compatible with XP SP3 as of May, 2009.  I didn't ask about Vista.  I did not test his hypothesis by rolling back to SP2 but this would be worth trying if you need CSS to work.

I have not documented the affected versions of BIOS and the Client Security software -- it would be worthwhile to post the versions if you have success (or failure ).

Message Edited by dcunningham42 on 05-23-2009 08:11 PM
Dave Cunningham
Dempsey Bluevar
IBM & Lenovo BP
ghostdog
Paper Tape
Views: 9,310
Message 8 of 9

I had the same problem on my brand new T400.

The problem for me was Comodo Firewall: for some reason, even when disabled, it keeps on blocking the connection to the TPM.

It doesn't matter if the hardware device is enabled or not.

I had to uninstall Comodo and use another firewall.

I hope this might help.
sschuett
Paper Tape
Views: 8,525
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

i own a brand new Lenovo T400 WinXP SP3 as well. Trying to get Thinkvantage Security Solution 8.2 to run, i get the same error reported here:

"There was a problem connecting to the TPM (security device) on this computer. It is possible that anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection. A missing or disabled device driver could also cause this problem. Please refer to the online documentation for more information."

I have disabled the security Chip in the BIOS, i reinstalled CSS a couple of times, i cleared the Security Chip but the the same problem comes up when my system tries to start CSS..

There is a Tool running from Intel, called 'Intel Management and security status'...i don't know what this PGM really is doing.........and therfore i will not remove it from the system...

Does anyone have an idea if this is really needed !? And if this Tool migh course my CSS issue to happen ?

Regards, Stephan

Top Kudoed Authors