cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 19,246
Message 21 of 40

Re: ThinkVantage Password Manager Firefox Extension, version 2.0, breaks pop-ups

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer to the problem.  There are a few Lenovo employees reading and responding to messages here, but this user-to-user forum isn't an official support venue.

From the welcome message:

These communities have been created to provide a high quality atmosphere in which users of Lenovo products and services may share experiences and expertise. While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Ronald63de
Serial Port
Views: 19,232
Message 22 of 40

Re: ThinkVantage Password Manager Firefox Extension, version 2.0, breaks pop-ups

@Nonny: Thank you for your input. I perfectly understand the purpose of these forums. They are similar to other manufacturer built forums. In my experience, forums like this are normally viewed by official staff and used as a means to give information about known issues. Do you think it makes perfect sense to discuss such a software bug among us users and to develop some more or less painstaking workarounds? Wouldn't it be nice, if Lenovo acknowledged the bug and gave a statement about the timeframe of the solution? And yes, I know that the software is free of charge.
dbucher
Serial Port
Views: 19,231
Message 23 of 40

Answer to Nonny :

Nevertheless, people take time to explain bugs they found, and not only these bugs should never happen (how is it possible to Lenovo to release a program that crashes systematically Firefox ? Are they even testing their software) but furthermore it would be the minimum for Lenovo developpers to have a look from time to time to their forums ?

They do not need to discuss subjets with people but how is it possible not to know about such a huge bug ?
I just cannot understand...

I think that this level of quality is not the level Lenovo markets about...

Let's hope they will discover about it some day...

What if the next bug make the computer crash, should we wait months without a computer ?

Message Edited by dbucher on 02-04-2008 03:57 PM
mjbruder
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 19,185
Message 24 of 40

I've attempted to reinstall the xpi file as suggested, and Firefox will not install it.  Firefox simply opens a page that says "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11"
Mike Bruder
mdr01
Paper Tape
Views: 19,068
Message 25 of 40

chrismo111 - I'm curious, since you went back to an older version of Client Security, what versions of Password Manager and the Password Manager Firefox Addon do you have now? I'm wondering if Lenovo just forgot to update the addon when they updated Client Security and the Password Manager apps (PWM = v3.00.0006.00 but addon = v2.0).

For everyone else, I just started having the same problem with the addon. Disabling the addon in Firefox (2.0.0.11) seems to prevent the errors - Tools, Addons, highlight the Thinkpad Password Manager 2.0 entry and click the Disable button, then restart Firefox.

I tried removing and reinstalling the addon manually as suggested in an earlier post, but it didn't fix the problem, so I'm just going ahead with it disabled for now.

For those of you who are having problems removing the addon, this may help. There are at least 3 different locations where you can specify an addon:
c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profile number]\extensions
c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\
and in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions
For the registry, try searching for the CLSID - FCF36B88-1BBA-487f-B64B-D2E8980A9293

The easiest way to tell where your addons are installed it to view the file c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profile number]\extensions.cache . The first column shows the location - "app-profile" means it's in the individual Firefox profile, "app-global" means it's in c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\ and loads for all profiles, "winreg-app-user" means it's listed in the HKCU registry hive which means that it loads for the current Windows user ID.

In my case, in the Firefox addons manager, I could enable or disable the addon, but I couldn't uninstall it (the option was greyed out) because the addon was listed in the registry. After I deleted the CLSID key (Make sure you back up your registry if you try this!), the next time I started Firefox, the addon was gone. Then, when I tried re-installing the addon from the xpi file, it was installed as an "app-profile" addon and I now have the uninstall option. It still causes errors when it's enabled, though.

Hopefully, this helps somebody.

Message Edited by mdr01 on 02-05-2008 11:30 PM
blu3ic3
What's DOS?
Views: 18,792
Message 26 of 40

The easiest thing to do is open Firefox, File -> open, then find the file tvtpwm_moz_xpi.xpi
It will install the password manager Plugin.

Then go to Tools -> extensions and DISABLE the password manager.
Restart Firefox and it works fine.
Lenovo Employee Myles_Lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 18,064
Message 27 of 40

Lenovo has just released a patch for Client Security Solution 8.1 that will correct this problem.

The "Client Security Solution 8.1 patch for Mozilla Firefox" is now available for download from following URL: http://www.lenovo.com/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-69426

This patch will also be made available via ThinkVantage System Update in the very near future.

The Lenovo Support Web team

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-26-2008 03:08 PM
Highlighted
Ronald63de
Serial Port
Views: 17,642
Message 28 of 40

ThinkVantage Password Manager still crashes Firefox

Bad news. After applying the patch which should fix the problem with the crashing of Firefox, all worked fine. But all of a sudden, the problem came back: as soon as a pop-up window opens, firefox crashes. When I tried to re-apply the patch, the patch setup tells me that it is already applied. Don't know what to do...... Maybe I downgrade to the last working version of Client Security Solution.

Note from Moderator:  Please don't create new threads for existing topics.  It splinters the discussion.

Message Edited by nonny on 03-06-2008 05:32 PM
tlroche
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,430
Message 29 of 40

Today I installed Client Security Solution 8.1 on my Z61t (with winXPSP2) after doing TVSU (to install latest BIOS) and before installing Rescue and Recovery 4.2. I noticed that my Firefox (2.0.0.12) would die as soon as I started to load a saved session (Tools>Session Manager>). After googling I noticed

> The "Client Security Solution 8.1 patch for Mozilla Firefox" is now available for download from following URL:
> http://www.lenovo.com/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-69426

I downloaded and installed that, and restarted as instructed by the installer. (Note that I did not install any Firefox extensions.) Now Firefox doesn't die once I load the session, but Firefox seems pegged @ 50% CPU, and the session seems to take longer than usual to load ... which is why I'm using IE to post to this forum :-(
FWIW, Tom Roche
chrismo111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,645
Message 30 of 40

Mdr01,
RE:
>> I'm curious, since you went back to an older version of Client Security, what versions of Password Manager and the >>>Password Manager Firefox Addon do you have now?

Firefox add on: v 2.0 of Think Vantage Password Manager (obtained via tools/add-ons in ff)
When I launch the pass mgr from the sys trey and go to help/about it says v 2.1.0
Client Security Solution: v 8.00.0311.00
In the extensions.cache file, the entry for the pass mgr says:
winreg-app-user    {FCF36B88-1BBA-487f-B64B-D2E8980A9293}    abs%C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Client Security Solution\PWM Firefox Extension    1200200097  
My ff version (currently) is: 2.0.0.13

If it's not clear, i'm still running the 'old' version that the link in my earlier post points to.
Out of curiosity, I just ran Thinkvantage System Update tool and saw the following in the optional tab:
ThinkVantage Client Security Solution for Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Vista 32-bit Version 8.10.0006.00

I guess that's not brand new.. recall seeing it a few weeks ago and I decided to hold off.  Given the recent posts.. i think i may continue to hold off on installing it -- the description doesn't mention if it contains an update to the password manager or not.

Message Edited by chrismo111 on 03-31-2008 08:36 PM

Message Edited by chrismo111 on 03-31-2008 08:42 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors