Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathan_morgan
What's DOS?
Views: 33,661
Message 1 of 40

ThinkVantage Password Manager Firefox Extension, version 2.0, breaks pop-ups

I am not sure where it came from (I think it was in the latest Client Security Solution update I installed a day or two ago using the System Update - I didn't install it myself) but an extension named ThinkVantage Password Manager 2.0 appeared in Firefox, and it made any pop-up window crash Firefox entirely.  I disabled the extension and all is well.  Any idea what is going on?  Will future client security solution updates install things in my browsers?
RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 33,654
Message 2 of 40

Re: ThinkVantage Password Manager Firefox Extension, version 2.0, breaks pop-ups

Right-click on the FireFox icon -> Run as administrator.
Done.
This will help to get rid of "chrome registration" failures at FF startup. (otherwise the extension is not registered, and you keep getting the error each time you start FF.)
The next time you start FF it should not give the error anymore.

grumbledook
Fanfold Paper
Views: 33,637
Message 3 of 40

Re: ThinkVantage Password Manager Firefox Extension, version 2.0, breaks pop-ups

No, this doesn't help. Firefox still crashes tryin to open a new window.
Views: 33,630
Message 4 of 40

Have you got the latest FF version 2.0.0.11?
If all else fails, download the above first, then uninstall the Lenovo Add-on, then completely uninstall FF. Reinstall FF from the new download. All your settings and bookmarks should still be there. If it now works as it should, re-install the Lenovo add-on (or leave it out).

PS: just saw 2 different posters, did this work for Jonathan?

Message Edited by RealBlackStuff on 01-10-2008 04:43 PM
grumbledook
Fanfold Paper
Views: 33,617
Message 5 of 40

Yes, it's the latest FF release. And I already tried to uninstall the TV PWM add-on. But even when I run FF as administrator the unintall button is inactive ... Now, don't tell me I have to uninstall the whole CSS package first! This FF add-on is a MS-like piece of cr... by Lenovo.
Views: 33,595
Message 6 of 40

If the Add-on uninstall does not work, in Explorer go to the FF Extensions directory:
\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profile number]\extensions.
Check out the contents of each {numberletter} subdirectory to find which extension is for that addon you're looking for.
Delete that whole {numberletter} subdirectory, or if you want to be safe, move it somewhere else first.
See if that solves the problem.
jbarquinha
What's DOS?
Views: 33,583
Message 7 of 40

I'm having the same problem!!
How do I uninstall de plugin or where can i get a update of this plugin that does not crash firefox?

Thanks!
niuphan
Paper Tape
Views: 33,523
Message 8 of 40

I had the same problem with this stupid password manager.  I cannot believe all of the crapware that comes installed on these Lenovo machines.  I made a clean factory reinstall of XP pro on my thinkpad but made the mistake of also installing Thinkvantage sercurity suite that comes with the machine.  I uninstalled the Thinkvantage security software and unstalled FF without any success. 

This solved my problem:

Make sure you uninstall thinkvantage security suite and Firefox.

I deleted the entire Mozilla directory at:
\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\

AND

I deleted the Mozilla folder at:
\program files\Mozilla

Then a good old fashion restart for the heck of it.

***Uninstalling from "add or remove programs" does not remove these folders***

Downloaded and reinstalled firefox, plugin gone and amazingly the "prevent popup boxes" option works again!!!

Lenovo preinstalled crapware is terrible.  Causes nothing but problems and lagging right out of the box.  The original factory OS install slowed my 2.2 dual core to a crawl.  Slower than my home built 2.2 single core.

Message Edited by niuphan on 01-12-2008 10:17 AM
Belenus
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,496
Message 9 of 40

I solved this problem reinstalling the Firefox Extension that its located in the programs folder->Lenovo->CLient Security SOlution

Drag the file: tvtpwm_moz_xpi.xpi to Firefox and when it ask to install the extension wait the counter and install

restart and all its OK
chrismo111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 33,396
Message 10 of 40

I tried most of the solutions outlined in this thread and none worked for me. What ultimatley worked for me was to un-install the buggy version of the pass word manager via add/remove programs and re-install the prior version of the client security solution that it was part of. 

Here's the download uri for the prior version: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68470

<IMPORTANT>
If you decide to do take this approach, be sure to export your password entry list before you uninstall the password manager.

The import/export process did not work expected-- so I've outlined what I did, b/c had I followed my initial instincts, I don't think I would have gotten my data back.

Be sure to export your password entry list in the two formats that the tool allows you to export the data into.

If you look at the file save dialogue box that launches when you go to the Import/Export menu and select "Export Entry List" the "save as type" drop down list contains two options: .exe and .pwm.  I exported the data twice (once for each "save as type" option). When you export the list the tool prompts you to password protect each file.   I used the same password for both formats, but when I tried to import the pwm file -- it did not accept the password.  I was only able to recover my passwords when I imported the exe (which had the same pass as the other).  Not sure if the exe reads the pwm file or not-- but I'm glad I had both.
</IMPORTANT>

So, what a pain in the ass, I hope the IBM/Lenovo Release Manager &/orTest Lead responsible for this bug have to wear dunce caps for at least a week.  Needless to say, before I realized the cause was the password manager, I thought I'd probably got hit with some malware -- and wasted alot of time scanning for viruses, spyware and adware. Then wasted more time following the solutions listed in this thread and more time taking the steps listed above.

Good luck

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors