Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 508
Message 1 of 6

ThinkVantage-Tools slow to start on Windows XP

Hi,

we are experiencing some difficulties with Lenovo AccessConnections 5.84 and Lenovo Energy Manager 1.99g running on an ThinkPad T420 under Windows XP SP3.

The Tools were installed with the local Administrator-Account. If you start them with this account, the tools start normally withen 3-5 seconds.

If you login with normal User rights, say as a normal Domain User in our Windows-Domain, the tools take about 90 seconds to startup.

I am currentliy investigating, if this occurs on our older notebooks aswell.

Has anybody experienced these issues? Mabye it's some kind of timeout?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 503
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkVantage-Tools slow to start on Windows XP

I've not heard of this problem before.  Does the delay happen if you log in as a local (non-domain) limited user?  What happens if you remove the system from the domain?

MrOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 492
Message 3 of 6

It doesn't matter if the machine is member of the domain or not, i've tried both. As of now, the only user account which works correctly, is the local administrator (under which the tools were installed). With all other accounts we experience the delays. Maybe it's some odd configuration/installation by  us. For example we have differen Versions of DotNet-Framework installed (1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5) or some timeout?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 480
Message 4 of 6

It's not something I can reproduce here.  I tried those versions of the tools you mentioned, and they work fine whether I log in as a local admin or a local limited user.  I do agree it's probably some strange configuration setting in your image that is causing this behavior.  The multiple versions of .NET shouldn't matter as this is a typical configuration.  I'm sorry I can't help with this, but if you find the setting that causes the issue please let me know.

Guru
Views: 475
Message 5 of 6

Maybe the guys over at the MSFN forum can help? They're good with this stuff.

Multiple versions of .NET co-exist just fine. A timeout sounds like a plausible cause.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
MrOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 473
Message 6 of 6

The Problem is finally solved after in-depth research with Sysinternals Procmon Smiley Tongue

We had to disable the Option "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" in Internet Explorer's Security Settings for the normal User Account (Non-Admin).

This is a setting which could be modified by a policy as well.

Thanks for your help and input!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors