Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Views: 3359
  • Message 1 of 6

Unexplained Delay Launching Applications (two related questions)

2009-05-21, 19:19 PM

I apologize at the outset for the length of this message.  I've added the information accumulated after trying several Window XP forums.

1) I'm getting a 30-60s delay launching almost any program (from Command Prompt, Notepad, through any Office 2007 application), but only the FIRST time that particular program is launched during a given "session."  (Here "session" seems to mean any extended period of inactivity, not generally a reboot or logoff/logon.)  The Windows Task Manager shows CPU usage is 99% by System Idle Process during this delay (but I can't do much else while I wait), so I have no idea what's causing the holdup.  After the machine gets "warmed up," however, there are no delays of any sort.  Any suggestions to track down the problem?

Possibly relevant details:  Lenovo T61 (Core2 Duo), vintage June 2008, running Windows XP Professional SP2 -- factory-supplied downgrade option from Vista,  (This is a problem that I noticed shortly after the downgrade, not a "new" problem appearing on an older installation.)  All other current Windows security updates (plus Windows Search 4.0 but minus SP3, which Lenovo warns against, and minus IE 8, which is too new for my taste) have been applied.  A bunch (but far less than half) of the Lenovo preloaded software has been uninstalled.  The only security software is ZoneAlarm Security Suite 8.0.298.035.  (Yes, I did a clean uninstall of Norton before anything else.  I use ZASS "Internet Lock" a lot, and one of the many manifestations of this problem is a long-delayed response to right-clicking on the locked ZASS icon in the system tray.  Nevertheless, I did try a clean uninstall/re-install of ZASS with only a temporary improvement.  Further, the problem does not arise every time I use Internet Lock.)  Various other "tweaks" that don't seem immediately relevant have been applied, of course.

I have another very similar installation of XP (SP3 this time), and ZASS on an older Dell laptop -- all of the same tweaks have been applied, as near as I can tell (but no Lenovo add-ons, of course) -- which shows no such problem.  This is why I suspect some interaction with Lenovo software (in addition to the fact that there is so much of it).

The precise phenomenology of the problem is difficult to ascertain, but it seems to occur primarily after Power Options has turned the screen off for an extended period of time.  (It's not allowed to go to sleep or hibernate automatically while plugged in.)  In any case, it doesn't only happen after a reboot.  What continues to puzzle me most is that there's no indication in Task Manager of anything going on at all.

An apparently reasonable suggestion was made that I was seeing unusually long virus scans on first launch of programs, but this doesn't seem to explain the delays:  They don't usually happen immediately after a reboot, and there's no CPU hog showing up in Task Manager when this happens.

2) I would be most grateful for any information about which of the ThinkVantage applications is really essential for this machine (or is potentially problematic), since I would really like to get rid of more of them, thus (I hope) resolving my problem.  For example, I assume I would want to keep "Active Protection System," but I use an image-backup system so I don't really need "Rescue and Recovery."  Nor do I need the pre-installed multi-media suite -- apparently by Sonic, which also installs a very annoying "InstallShield" update manager that I cannot figure out how to disable -- especially since I prefer CDBurnerXP and Windows Media Player.  It seems that a lot of this Lenovo stuff is loaded on startup, thus consuming resources and a potential source of my problem.  Before I embark on a whole-sale un-installation of ThinkVantage software, however, I'd like to know more about what's relevant and how to restore individual packages if I find I need them.

To take one example, the Lenovo overlay of Windows Power Manager appears to have significant additional features (e.g., CPU speed control and smart battery-charging modes), but I can't tell whether they really do anything with the given hardware or whether their benefits might be worth having the software running constantly.

Below is a list of stuff that's set to run on startup -- most of it left over from the original Lenovo Thinkpad setup -- that I didn't dare uninstall without more knowledge.  (I checked all the potential startup sources that I know of, and the rest are empty, including win.ini/load=.  Windows Search says it's finished indexing.)  I could also send a table of running services (long!) if anyone really wants to see it...

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
04/09/2009  01:03 PM    <DIR>          .
04/09/2009  01:03 PM    <DIR>          ..
03/09/2009  07:41 PM             1,753 Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk
03/09/2009  07:41 PM             1,795 Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk
03/10/2009  01:10 AM               643 Bluetooth.lnk
03/10/2009  01:09 AM             1,625 Digital Line Detect.lnk
04/09/2009  01:03 PM             1,794 Windows Search.lnk
               5 File(s)          7,610 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  30,908,010,496 bytes free

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SynTPLpr"="C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPLpr.exe"
"SynTPEnh"="C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPEnh.exe"
"PWRMGRTR"="rundll32 C:\\PROGRA~1\\ThinkPad\\UTILIT~1\\PWRMGRTR.DLL,PwrMgrBkGndMonitor"
"BLOG"="rundll32 C:\\PROGRA~1\\ThinkPad\\UTILIT~1\\BatLogEx.DLL,StartBattLog"
"TPFNF7"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Lenovo\\NPDIRECT\\TPFNF7SP.exe /r"
"TPHOTKEY"="C:\\Program Files\\Lenovo\\HOTKEY\\TPOSDSVC.exe"
@=""
"TpShocks"="TpShocks.exe"
"SoundMAX"="C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\SoundMAX\\Smax4.exe /tray"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect"
"TVT Scheduler Proxy"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Lenovo\\Scheduler\\scheduler_proxy.exe"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\jusched.exe"
"DLA"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\DLA\\DLACTRLW.EXE"
"ISUSPM Startup"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\INSTAL~1\\UPDATE~1\\ISUSPM.exe -startup"
"ISUSScheduler"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\InstallShield\\UpdateService\\issch.exe\" -start"
"AwaySch"="C:\\Program Files\\Lenovo\\AwayTask\\AwaySch.EXE"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"TPKMAPHELPER"="C:\\Program Files\\ThinkPad\\Utilities\\TpKmapAp.exe -helper"
"SoundMAXPnP"="C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\Core\\smax4pnp.exe"
"ZoneAlarm Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"

Again, thanks in advance for any help (if indeed anyone reads this far). -- JCW

Answer
Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393

Re: Unexplained Delay Launching Applications (two related questions)

2009-05-22, 15:49 PM

jcw2, nothing to worry about :smileywink:

Most of these have are listed in the processes beacuse they are in the system startup(you mentioned it yourself).You explained in your post that you were willing to replace sonic record now.removing these from the startup donnot mean that they are "un-installed" from the system.It will only help you in increasing your boot time to your desktop.I only recommended removing these from the startup items only!

Removing any thinkvantage utility program is at your own discretion,it depends on what you want to use and what you dont.If you have observed my post correctly i have not mentioned anywhere about removing thinkvantage utilities from startup, I am not aware of thinkvantage utilites on a thinkpad. 

now let me explain why i suggested you to remove them only from  startup

1.adobe synchronizer

The Adobe Synchronizer is a networking agent that is used to build disconnection tolerant applications. The Synchronizer provides a local copy of data on a server so that applications can utilize it regardless of network connectivity. As data changes on the server, Synchronizer updates the local copy and as the user publishes changes made locally, Synchronizer makes the modifications to the server

2.adobe speed launcher

The Speed Launcher runs automatically when your computer starts. The Speed Launcher is not required in order to use Acrobat  or Adobe Reader . However, if you disable the Speed Launcher you may notice an increase in start time when you run Acrobat  Acrobat 3D or Adobe Reader  

3.Soundmax

only removes the system tray icon of analogdevices(soundmax digital audio)

4. jusched.exe:

A background process of sun microsystems  which checks for java updates.It uses  an active internet connection as well in the background.you will not require this program unless you are using java based applications or the java runtime environment(if you want to update java you can go to control panel options an update it from there)

5. DLACTRLW.EXE:

What does DLACTRLW.EXE do?

The Drive Letter Access component allows you to drag and drop files directly to the CD-R or DVD-R drive on your computer, just as you would to any other folder. It writes the files onto the CD as you copy them, taking a lot of the complication out of burning CD or DVD discs with Windows.

Is it necessary?

Only if you actively use the feature. If you burn CDs and DVDs in a traditional way, such as starting up the CD-writer application and choosing files from there, then you can safely disable this program from running at startup.

I donot know what utilites  you tend to use from the thinkvantage menu so cant answer regarding those processes.

Hope my info helps you

Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 05-22-2009 09:21 PM

Replies(5)
Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2009-05-22, 2:00 AM

jcw2 welcome to the forums

you have explained your problem in depth,i see that any app you try to open takes a time delay?I think its an on-acess virus scanner which checks for processes when loaded into the memory. can you provide a screenshot of the process tab(not servies tab)  in task manager?

if you think you donot require the bunch of multimedia apps you got with your system try using combined community codec pack 

it will play most of the file formats.you can also safely remove the following programs

1.adobe speed launch

2.adobe synchronizer

3.soundmax

4.jusched.exe(java)

5.smax4pnp.exe(analog devices)

6.DLACTRLW.EXE(sonic record now)

7. issch.exe(instashield update)

Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 05-22-2009 07:45 AM
Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 05-22-2009 07:45 AM
Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2009-05-22, 2:18 AM

>>I think its an on-acess virus scanner which checks for processes when loaded into the memory. can you provide a screenshot of the process tab(not servies tab)  in task manager?<<

Thanks, vadhi, for your reply.  I'm not sure exactly what you're after here:  I have no Services tab in Task Manger.  I mentioned that, during the delays (which occur only occasionally, and rarely after a reboot or user change) I have viewed the Processes tab in Task Manager, sorted by CPU usage, and determined that 99% CPU is always due to Idle Processes -- no virus scanning evident.  For that an other reasons I had already concluded that the problem was not on-access virus scanning, but perhaps I'm wrong.  Anyhow, if what you want is just a listing of running processes at any random time, I can get you that (although I don't yet know how to attach pictures to a message on this board).  I also note that this process list is currently longer than will fit on my screen (high resolution)! -- JCW2

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2009-05-22, 14:43 PM
>>...you can also safely remove the following programs

1.adobe speed launch

2.adobe synchronizer

3.soundmax

4.jusched.exe(java)

5.smax4pnp.exe(analog devices)

6.DLACTRLW.EXE(sonic record now)

7. issch.exe(instashield update)<<

vijaysaradhi --

Could you be a bit more explicit here?  Only one of the above items is listed overtly in Add/Remove Programs.  Some others might be guessed (e.g., "Sonic DLA" for DLACTRLW.EXE).  Several show up in Task Manager as running processes and (if they are services -- I haven't checked) might be disabled through Administrative Tools/Services.

Of even more concern to me, however, are the many other ThinkVantage running processes, such as those beginning with "tvt," "rrservice.exe," etc.  Can't we safely get rid of some of these, perhaps by uninstalling things like "Maintenance Manager," "Rescue and Recovery" and "ThinkVantage System Update" (which appears to be obsolete anyhow) in Add/Remove Programs?

-- JCW2

Answer
Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2009-05-22, 15:49 PM

jcw2, nothing to worry about :smileywink:

Most of these have are listed in the processes beacuse they are in the system startup(you mentioned it yourself).You explained in your post that you were willing to replace sonic record now.removing these from the startup donnot mean that they are "un-installed" from the system.It will only help you in increasing your boot time to your desktop.I only recommended removing these from the startup items only!

Removing any thinkvantage utility program is at your own discretion,it depends on what you want to use and what you dont.If you have observed my post correctly i have not mentioned anywhere about removing thinkvantage utilities from startup, I am not aware of thinkvantage utilites on a thinkpad. 

now let me explain why i suggested you to remove them only from  startup

1.adobe synchronizer

The Adobe Synchronizer is a networking agent that is used to build disconnection tolerant applications. The Synchronizer provides a local copy of data on a server so that applications can utilize it regardless of network connectivity. As data changes on the server, Synchronizer updates the local copy and as the user publishes changes made locally, Synchronizer makes the modifications to the server

2.adobe speed launcher

The Speed Launcher runs automatically when your computer starts. The Speed Launcher is not required in order to use Acrobat  or Adobe Reader . However, if you disable the Speed Launcher you may notice an increase in start time when you run Acrobat  Acrobat 3D or Adobe Reader  

3.Soundmax

only removes the system tray icon of analogdevices(soundmax digital audio)

4. jusched.exe:

A background process of sun microsystems  which checks for java updates.It uses  an active internet connection as well in the background.you will not require this program unless you are using java based applications or the java runtime environment(if you want to update java you can go to control panel options an update it from there)

5. DLACTRLW.EXE:

What does DLACTRLW.EXE do?

The Drive Letter Access component allows you to drag and drop files directly to the CD-R or DVD-R drive on your computer, just as you would to any other folder. It writes the files onto the CD as you copy them, taking a lot of the complication out of burning CD or DVD discs with Windows.

Is it necessary?

Only if you actively use the feature. If you burn CDs and DVDs in a traditional way, such as starting up the CD-writer application and choosing files from there, then you can safely disable this program from running at startup.

I donot know what utilites  you tend to use from the thinkvantage menu so cant answer regarding those processes.

Hope my info helps you

Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 05-22-2009 09:21 PM

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

236 Posts

05-21-2009

United States of America

467 Signins

3359 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2009-06-02, 16:50 PM

I think I found the real solution to this problem, in case anybody else cares: 

(It doesn't appear to have anything directly to do with Lenovo "bloatware.;" it's a firewall "Program Control" issue.) 

At least as far as ZoneAlarm Security Suite 8.0 is concerned, it
seems that "Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services"
(C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe) that must have "Pass Lock" privilages -- no
longer "Services and Controller app" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe) as in
W2K.  Granting these privilages to svchost.exe seems to eliminate the
occasional launch delays on my XP machines (both SP2 and SP3) -- yes, the Dell machine eventually began to exhibit the same problem, proving that Lenovo wasn't at fault.  I had
suspected some kind of software incompatibility, but it now
appears that these machines were just waiting while svchost.exe tried to get in touch
with my router, for whatever reason.  (Meanwhile I had uninistalled a lot of Lenovo/ThinkVantage software, but that didn't completely solve the problem.)

A major side benefit (at least for me) is that this procedure allows both
machines to renew their local DHCP leases from my cable/DSL router during
"Internet Lock."  Nor is "Internet Server" access required by this program;
"Trusted Server" access is sufficient!

I hope this solution may help somebody else who suspects Lenovo "bloatware" for a machine "slow-down." -- JCW

Message Edited by JCW2 on 06-02-2009 12:52 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms