Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swaldman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,601
Message 141 of 160

Re: Vantage has encountered a problem Windows 1809

Well, it's a few months since this was first reported, but it seems that it's still going on. Last week my T450s updated itself to Windows 10 1809, and sure enough I can't access Vantage. The solution posted by the Lenovo rep doesn't work, and like one or two others, I have the old ThinkVantage UI popping up when I run dxpserver.

I don't have a windows.old folder - presumably it's been too long since the update - so I can't use the other proposed solution, and I can't roll back.

Any further advice?

This is particularly vexing because my laptop is set to only charge to 50%, as it's been sitting on a desk for the last few months, but now I'd like to charge to full for Christmas travel and have no way to access that setting......

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,597
Message 142 of 160

@swaldman wrote:

Well, it's a few months since this was first reported, but it seems that it's still going on. Last week my T450s updated itself to Windows 10 1809, and sure enough I can't access Vantage. The solution posted by the Lenovo rep doesn't work, and like one or two others, I have the old ThinkVantage UI popping up when I run dxpserver.

I don't have a windows.old folder - presumably it's been too long since the update - so I can't use the other proposed solution, and I can't roll back.

Any further advice?

This is particularly vexing because my laptop is set to only charge to 50%, as it's been sitting on a desk for the last few months, but now I'd like to charge to full for Christmas travel and have no way to access that setting......

I don't have any advice about how to make Vantage work other than wait for Microsoft to fix the problem.  Some people report that the issue will eventually fix itself when Win10 eventually retries whatever is failing.  You can clear the charge threshold by uninstalling System Interface Foundation.  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506070

scotav
Punch Card
Views: 3,566
Message 143 of 160

Well, very unfortunate but not surprising.

My X1 Carbon laptop got the Windows 1809 update again about a week or so ago after I had restored back to 1803 due to the vantage problem.  I tried all the solutions here which I am grateful for but to no avail.  Again Windows Roll back failed and I restored to a previous backup that I taken.  I then exported/backed up all the current files from my laptop and prepared to reinstall Windows.

I have now carried out a clean install which I didn't really want to do as it involved many hours of work reinstating my software etc.  I am pleased to say that everything now works as it should after I installed and updated the Vantage package.

I know this won't be of help to many but I thought it worth mentioning as I am pretty tech savvy, but this one beat me!

Best of luck to anyone still having this issue and thanks for all the help.

swaldman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,543
Message 144 of 160

Thanks, I'll remove SIF for now. Hopefully that won't break too many other things...

Highlighted
Bruce443
SCSI Port
Views: 3,529
Message 145 of 160

Hi.  Here's how I finally got it to work.

1) In program files and program data, delete all the old thinkvantage tools stuff.  Lenovo device experience, etc.   Restart.

2) Uninstall Lenovo vantage (from the store) and Lenovo system foundation v2 in the device manager.  Restart.

3) Check in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows metadata folders (both store and cache) that the old file linking to the old version of device experience (look for the blue icon) is gone.  If it's not gone (I think the folder begins with a 4) delete it.  Either way, restart again.

4)  And now, restart again.  (Yes, restart.  You want to clear everything, and I've found the only way to do this is with multiple restarts.  NOT shut down.  Restart.)

5) Now, reinstall Vantage from the store.  When the window pops up asking to downlad SIF, download it and install.

6) Be patient.  Wait.  Walk away from the machine for a half hour (to let it download all the components.)   And, once again, restart.

7) After this restart, open Lenovo vantage.  It will take a long time.  But it should work -- and you'll find that even the Lenovo device experience has updated to the red logo.

I know this seems bizarre.  But I found that all the restarts was the only way to do it.  

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,509
Message 146 of 160

@Bruce443 wrote:

7) After this restart, open Lenovo vantage.  It will take a long time.  But it should work -- and you'll find that even the Lenovo device experience has updated to the red logo.

Right, the only way that Vantage can work on Win10 1809 is if you see the red Lenovo logo in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers

Untitled.png

If it's not there, it means that Win10 failed to download the device metadata which comes from Microsoft servers.  This can be confirmed by looking at the errors in Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> DeviceSetupManager -> Admin.  You'll see one or more errors like the following:

• A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established.
  • The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet.
  • A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established.

We have a bug opened with Microsoft about this, but so far, no reply from them.  Unfortunately, only Microsoft can explain why these errors happen and how to debug it.

vega109
Punch Card
Views: 3,454
Message 147 of 160

@someotherguy wrote:

@Bruce443 wrote:

Right, the only way that Vantage can work on Win10 1809 is if you see the red Lenovo logo in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers

Untitled.png

If it's not there, it means that Win10 failed to download the device metadata which comes from Microsoft servers.  This can be confirmed by looking at the errors in Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> DeviceSetupManager -> Admin.  You'll see one or more errors like the following:

• A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established.
  • The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet.
  • A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established.

We have a bug opened with Microsoft about this, but so far, no reply from them.  Unfortunately, only Microsoft can explain why these errors happen and how to debug it.

Is it necessary to release a program to completely remove old Lenovo device experience (blue logo) and to upgrade to new  Lenovo device experience (red logo) for old users so that we can migrate to win 10 1809 smoothly ??

swaldman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,411
Message 148 of 160

@bruce443 That worked! (even with slightly fewer restarts ;-))

Thank you :-)

Seems to me that the biggest problem here, if not the actual cause, is the difficulty of getting rid of the ThinkVantage utilities.

Net7
Punch Card
Views: 3,136
Message 149 of 160

This post here is ACTUALLY the solution without actually provding any instructions!

Totally fresh install of 1809, could NOT get this to work with ANY of the solutions prior since 1809's initial fumble release and every reattempt after!

Finally, I was reading through EVERY **bleep** PAGE here to see what I was missing, this post I am replying to is "THE ANSWER" if your having this issue on a TOTALLY FRESH install of 1809!

The location for those who want to manually get there (with file explorer, copy/paste to location/address bar at the top):

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers

OR

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers

(the first is for those using the category view on the old control panel, the second those using large icons aka SHOW EVERYTHING, HIDE NOTHING option)

When I went here, that little drop down at the top (forgive me for not grabbing a screenshot or searching for one to use, too excited!) with the message like "Windows can display enhanced device icons and information from the Internet. Click to change", so I hit the option to let it grab what it needed....

BAM, that red lenovo pc branding, and BOOM, Lenovo vantage started RIGHT UP...

We now have the solution for upgrades (removing the old software), and fresh installs and now lenovo can actually do a PROPER FIX for this to prompt to change it upon install like other software already does (sadly, I didnt install any of that software on this system as it's for work and that software is for games... a controller software of all things prompts for this!, kudo's to that company, shame on lenovo!)

Workaround found, lets get a FIX in place Lenovo, Microsoft made this change for "security theatre" and wont be changing it back, only you can properly FIX this now!

bofforama
Paper Tape
Views: 2,584
Message 150 of 160

Net7's post above helped me figure out the issue on my end, although my solution differed.

Like Net7, under Devices and Printers, I saw the blue Lenovo icon. However, I never saw the "Windows can display enhanced device icons and information from the Internet. Click to change" message. But, I noticed when I selected the icon, the Status (shown at the bottom of the window) indicated "Setup incomplete because of a metered connection." So, in network connection properties, I turned off metered connection (I had turned it on to help prevent automatic Windows Updates).

A short while later (somewhere between 1 and 5 minutes, I don't remember), the Lenovo icon turned red on its own. After that, I could start Vantage normally.

It seems like disabling metered connection is important. With it enabled, even manually checking for Windows Updates wouldn't result in the Lenovo icon turning red.

Hope this helps someone.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors