Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mithrandir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,618
Message 1 of 3

W500 display black after undock

Hi,

as I didn't find a matching thread I have to describe my problem in a new one. However, if the issue is already covered in another thread, I'd be pleased if you could just paste the link to the thread.

I'm using a W500 with an advanced minidock.

Usually I use the notebokk with closed lid in the docking station with a HP LCD connected.

When I undocked the notebook and opened the lid afterwards the display switched to the notebook display.

For a few days now the problem is that the display turns black after I open the lid. If you are fast enough you can see the picture on the notebook display shortly after opening it, but then it turns black.

Even FN + F7 doesn't switch it on again. Also FN + F7, "Arrow  down", "Return" (to choose a profile blindely in the PD) doesn't work.

If I put the notebook back again into the docking station the display recovers again.

If I open the display before undocking the notebook. The display doesn't turn off.

I tried updateing the presentation director, using different profiles for docked and undocked. Nothing helped.

I have a "docked" profile which is set to "use after docking the notebook". This step works. So if I use another profile and dock the notebook it switches to the designated profile.

When I undock the notebook (with open lid) there's no switching to another profile.

The docked profile is set as "clone displays". As I don't have a wide screen lcd yet, there are black sidebars on the notebook display when docked with open lid.

After undocking the screen on the notebook expands to a matching resolution for the widescreen of the notebook, althoug it's the same pd profile.

Does anybody have an idea how to get back to the behavior that the screen doesn't turn black after opening the lid after undocking the notebook?

Right now I set the FN + F7 beaviour to switch between external and internal screen, so I'm able to get a picture if I forget to open the lid before undocking.

Of course, this works fine and it's only one shortcut, but it would be good to have the old behavior back.

Thanks

Mith

Former Employee
Views: 1,605
Message 2 of 3

Re: W500 display black after undock

hey Mithrandir,

try uninstalling the presentation director. then test it again.

also do check on our support page if there is any new driver available for your graphic card.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Mithrandir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,581
Message 3 of 3

Re: W500 display black after undock

Hi,

great, it worked.

- Uninstall pres. director

- update video driver

- reinstall pres. director

--> Screen available after undock and opening the lid.

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors