Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsRed Hat and CentOS
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-08-2021

Canada

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 3

Automated Installations of RHEL 7.9 though USB on ThinkStation P340T Workstation

2021-07-08, 18:11 PM

Hello there,

I have been trying to install RHEL 7.9  Where I am booting from the USB and at the boot prompt modifying the kernal by pressing "e"" key to amend the boot options with the location of the kickstart file.  The kickstart file from an HTTP server, so to add the "ks=http://192...../ks.cfg" boot option. 

We have been using this method for many years with no issues until we switched to P340T Workstation. It gives the Dracut error message of 

"Failed to start media check-in. /dev/sdb write-protected, mounting read-only" ...this seems like my USB

I have created the bootable USB using Fedora Media Writer following this link

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/installation_guide/sect-making-usb-media#sect-making-usb-media-linux

Attached is the simple version of my kickstart file

And the configuration of my workstation is 

LENOVO THINKSTATION P340,

INTEL I7-8700 (3.20GHZ, 12MB),

1X512GB SSD SATA III, NVIDIA P620, INTEL9560AC+BT5, 

I already have win 10 installed. Is there any setting I need to change from BIOS ? 

Any inputs will be appreciated.

thanks

Options

218 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

366 Signins

2411 Page Views

• Views: 2411
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Automated Installations of RHEL 7.9 though USB on ThinkStation P340T Workstation

2021-07-09, 10:56 AM

The USB key should be sda when booting which would make the SSD drive sdb.  It looks like the SSD has a SATA drive interface and is read only to Linux.  Since you have been using this method for some time has the root disk always been a sata SSD drive?  Have you tried running fsck on the disk in a live boot session to fix any errors, that has been known to solve this type of issue.

Options

5 Posts

07-08-2021

Canada

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Automated Installations of RHEL 7.9 though USB on ThinkStation P340T Workstation

2021-08-09, 15:04 PM

fsck on the disk doesn't return any error message and /dev/sdb is the usb key. It automatically turns to write-protected mode as soon as it tries to boot from the usb despite changing the permissions to RW many times. any other inputs?

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms