Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aiphoenix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,543
Message 1 of 14

Ideapad 320s and Linux Fedora

Hi all!

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but it was the closest I found. I'm considering buying a 320s (one of the better specced), and will run Fedora Linux exclusively. I know that the Thinkpad series is considered one of the most Linux-friendly laptops out there, but I kinda like the new series. I've read up a little, and to me it seems that Lenovo in general is quite Linux friendly-ish, so my question is:

320s and Linux (Fedora). Yay or nay?

Kind regards,

Stef

Alan_eng
Paper Tape
Views: 20,857
Message 2 of 14

Re: Ideapad 320s and Linux Fedora

Thanks for posting this, have you any updated information? I'm thinking about buying the 320S to use as a Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 10 dual boot machine. After reading some of the posts on the 710S, see...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/ideapad-710s-and-Linux/td-p/3358780

Linux and the raid (like) configured SSD, I'm slightly concerned with Linux compatibility. 

After trying to search the web and Lenovo's site there seems a lack of information on what type of SSD (SATA or PCIe) is fitted and if the machine is configured as raid or AHCI. Any chance of some info from the Lenovo technical department, Or a current owner?

Alan_eng
Paper Tape
Views: 20,851
Message 3 of 14

Just decided to read the maunal

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad320s-14ikb_320sx-14ikb_520s-14ikb_520sx-14ik...

for the 320S mentions legacy boot support for 'select models' and no where is Linux mentioned, I also had a look at the 320 manual this mentions leagacy support and Linux. 

Looks like some very good hardware from Lenovo here, but the change of wording in the manual concerns me a bit.

mark227
What's DOS?
Views: 19,856
Message 4 of 14

I'm also curious if anyone has managed to sucesfully run linux on one of these.

Noehlmann
Punch Card
Views: 19,058
Message 5 of 14

Re: Ideapad 320s and Linux Fedora and Opensuse and Ubuntu and Linux Mint and and and

I tried to install Opensuse 42.3, latest Ubuntu and latest Linux Mint from ISO USB stick on my MIX 320-10ICR (with Windows 10) as dual boot. So far unsuccessfully.

The installation system starts from USB after choosing the respective boot option in BIOS but then stalls. Secure Boot is disabled.

After reading through various forums I lerned that I must enable USB Legacy but cannot find this option.

Can anybody advise?

Alan_eng
Paper Tape
Views: 19,037
Message 6 of 14

Re: Ideapad 320s and Linux Fedora and Opensuse and Ubuntu and Linux Mint and and and

I think if you can select the USB to boot from, and the installion starts you are past any secure boot problem. The Miix320 uses and Atom chipset, try an ISO from Linuxium, see:-

http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com

I'm not an  expert and I don't have the Mix320 to try it, some better help maybe along latter. Please post an update on how it goes to help others...

Noehlmann
Punch Card
Views: 18,902
Message 7 of 14

The Ubuntu 17.10 Beta which you adviced, is installing without any problems on my MIIX 320-10ICR (not so the 17.4).

I wonder what makes the difference!

Thanks a lot to you. My problem is resolved.

bresbo
Paper Tape
Views: 14,885
Message 8 of 14

I've just bought an Ideapad 320s-14IKB (Intel i3, 4Gb, 128Gb SDD, full HD screen). I managed to boot Linux Mint off a USB stick quite easily once I'd twigged how to do it. I haven't installed it yet; but from the stick, it works flawlessly. This is what I did:-

1. Install Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) on Windows.

2. Download Linux Mint, I took linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso.

3. Pop in the USB stick.

4. Run Rufus to write the iso file to the stick and make it bootable.

5. In Windows click on Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Restart Now.

6. You may have to wait a while.

7. Then you get "Choose an option". Select "Use A Device" and then "EFI USB Device".

8. You should get a message "System doesn't have any USB .... blah blah". Hit the "Ok" button.

9. Which will take you to the Boot Manager with your stick as an option. Select it, and hey presto!

PenguinFan01
Paper Tape
Views: 13,859
Message 9 of 14

I have installed Debian 9.3 64 bit successfully in an Ideapad 320s-14IKB. Originally I was thinking to delete all info in the SSD because all the comments I saw on the Internet about UEFI & Windows 10 problems, but basically I went inside the BIOS and tweak the 'Boot' menu options as:

Boot Mode: UEFI

Fast Boot: Disabled

USB Boot: Enabled

and the 'Security' menu option of 'Secure Boot' in 'Disabled' mode. Intel RST is also enabled.

The USB containing Debian was placed on the right-hand side USB port. I required an external mouse connected to the left-hand side port because the touchpad didn't work during the installation process. Wifi required installation of Intel's non-free drivers manually. The Keyboard worked fine.

Ques4
Paper Tape
Views: 13,672
Message 10 of 14

I have the exact model and same BIOS settings as you mentioned, but during installation from USB or running Ubuntu from USB, I cannot find my internal harddisk to install.

I tried unsuccesfully creating a partition and without a partition, and Debian, ElementaryOS... 

Did you need to update your BIOS as well?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals