Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxtarquini
Paper Tape
Views: 226
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Yoga 520 + Linux fan problems

Hi all,

i got a Lenovo Yoga 520 notebook Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4 running Linux Fedora 30 OS.

I'm really satisfied about the notebbok but i'm experimenting problems with the fan. When performing cpu intensive (but not so intensive) tasks, the CPU warms up and switch into protection mode (400MhZ). 

I'n mot able to determine if the fan is working but, since i do not ear any rumor i suppose the fan is not working.

May it depends on Linux? is there  eway to check fan status?

Best

Max

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 163
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Yoga 520 + Linux fan problems

In Fedora 30 you should be able to run "inxi -F".  In the output toward the bottom it should show temperature of CPUs and fan speed

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

maxtarquini
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 3 of 4

Hi Dave,

you are right but ir seems that there is not a fan sensor installed on this notebook.

When asking for fan speed the output is always the same (doesnt matter which tool i used):

Fan speed (RPM): N/A

Is it correct? Should i expect the fan speed?

Best

Max

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Freeman_Zhang
Lenovo Employee
Views: 45
Message 4 of 4

Hi Max,

It seems you cannot get the fan speed by tools such as inxi, lm_sensors  on some of the IdeaPad products. In this case, I suggest to find the processor with the highest CPU comsumpsion by 'top' command. A better choice for monitoring the CPU temperature and processors at the same time is 'glances', you can installl by:

sudo dnf install glances

or use 'pip3':

pip3 install --user glances

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals