Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

04-02-2019

Norway

13 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 1 of 50

X1 Carbon Gen8 coming with Fedora Linux! (and other models too)

2020-04-24, 17:29 PM

https://fedoramagazine.org/coming-soon-fedora-on-lenovo-laptops/

You’ll soon be able to get Fedora pre-installed by selecting it as you customize your purchase. This is a pilot of Lenovo’s Linux Community Series – Fedora Edition, beginning with ThinkPad P1 Gen2, ThinkPad P53, and ThinkPad X1 Gen8 laptops, possibly expanding to other models in the future.

Answer
Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Views: 5346

Re:X1 Carbon Gen8 coming with Fedora Linux! (and other models too)

2020-04-25, 0:19 AM

You beat me to it :) I was going to post an item saying "Hey - Fedora is making an announcement - check it out" and the day has been kinda busy.

If there are any questions feel free to post them on the Fedora post or here - I'll be monitoring both and will try and answer as many questions as I can. Or come visit virtually at the RH summit!

Mark (who's also really excited we're finally going to be selling systems on the web and is glad he doesn't have to be quiet about it anymore!)

Replies(49)
Answer
Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Message 2 of 50

2020-04-25, 0:19 AM

You beat me to it :) I was going to post an item saying "Hey - Fedora is making an announcement - check it out" and the day has been kinda busy.

If there are any questions feel free to post them on the Fedora post or here - I'll be monitoring both and will try and answer as many questions as I can. Or come visit virtually at the RH summit!

Mark (who's also really excited we're finally going to be selling systems on the web and is glad he doesn't have to be quiet about it anymore!)

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

9 Posts

04-02-2019

Norway

13 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 3 of 50

2020-04-25, 18:51 PM

So good news! Looking forward to ordering a Carbon X1 and getting it delivered with Linux. :-)

Options

9 Posts

04-02-2019

Norway

13 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 4 of 50

2020-04-27, 11:43 AM
So let me start with the first question: is all hardware expected to work out of the box? I'm particularly thinking about the fingerprint reader, that has lately been a pain point (to this day some X1 models have fingerprint readers from Validity unable to function even with beta fprintd software).
Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Message 5 of 50

2020-04-30, 13:57 PM

Hi @jimis0,

Yes - the HW should work out of the box (with a few caveats I'll get to). We are testing the platforms and working with the community to make sure it's as good as it possibly can be 

Fingerprint reader on the three devices will work. 

As an aside for all platforms that have the Synaptics fingerprint reader that has supported (do lsusb and look for "06cb:00bd") the firmware should be released in the next few weeks. For other fingerprint readers - it really needs support from the HW vendor and we're working on that. Our new platforms should all be using the supported device when they come out. For the Validity fingerprint reader (can you get be the USB ID?) I need to check on that. I heard that it somewhat worked and then broke so I need to find out more. FWIW I've been using the fingerprint reader on my X1C7 happily.

For the caveats 

- WWAN won't work out of the box. I don't think it will be enabled as a purchase config until we have  support for it  (we're still working on some of those details). There should be WWAN support later this year but it's quite a tricky issue to solve and really hard to do in a way that works for all the distros so we may have to make the SW for that available as a separate install. Part of the Fedora agreement is we're not modifying their image so there is a likelihood it won't be pre-loaded unless we find a solution that can go in their repositories

- The IR camera doesn't work very well. Again linux support isn't quite there yet. 

- There's  a NFC reader on some platforms that doesn't really have linux support (and I've heard no user demand for it so it's low on the list)

- I got a mention about Optane devices not being supported - but I've not looked into that. I believe we won't sell you the linux system with an Optane device on it for now.

Hope that helps

Mark

Options

6 Posts

05-09-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 6 of 50

2020-05-09, 7:27 AM
Hello! It seems X1 Carbon Gen8 is now available but I don't see Fedora option. When to expect it? Is there a way to at least avoid paying the Windows tax until you guys sort all issues out? I don't mind suffering those issues until you come up with the official release, those issues wouldnt affect the main functionality of the machine anyway. See: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Carbon-Gen-8-/p/22TP2X1X1C8 Thank you
Options

6 Posts

05-09-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 7 of 50

2020-05-09, 7:40 AM
Another comment I have is that Fedora is commonly aimed at developers, who often need more RAM than the rest of the computer users population because they run all sorts of software in parallel, compile source code, run VMs, etc. Dell XPS 13 with their Developer Edition includes a 32GB RAM option. It would be perfect to add that to the Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen8. It is the only thing holding me from purchasing it right now. I am torn between the reliability of Thinkpad laptops and the higher RAM capacity of Dell XPS 13 which also has Ubuntu option (I only care about generic GNU/Linux support, which opens the way for extension to all existing distros if supported by at least one). Making 32GB RAM option on the X1 Carbon Gen8 would clear any ambiguity and make it a clear winner, and a purchase, at least from me. Thanks again.
Options

9 Posts

04-02-2019

Norway

13 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 8 of 50

2020-06-29, 21:09 PM

@MarkRHPearson any news? I hope the launch has not been postponed for the next generation of Thinkpads!

Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Message 9 of 50

2020-07-01, 2:00 AM

Definitely not postponed - we're getting there! I'm hoping I can share the release date really soon. I'll be posting to the forums as soon as I have the date. 

Mark

Options

3 Posts

05-12-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 16
  • Message 10 of 50

2020-07-11, 19:50 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

- There's  a NFC reader on some platforms that doesn't really have linux support (and I've heard no user demand for it so it's low on the list)

Take this as at least one user wanting NFC support... it's the main thing keeping me from using Fedora on my X280.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms