Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mukeko
Paper Tape
Views: 1,237
Message 1 of 8

install Fedora in Ideapad S340

Good morning, I bought a Lenovo laptop, specifically the ideapad S340 model, and I am trying to install the Fedora distribution but it does not detect the SSD, I have the Secure Boot disabled, I tried several convinations but it does not detect them, some know how I can do to install it

papaneuf
Paper Tape
Views: 592
Message 2 of 8

Re: install Fedora in Ideapad S340

I am also looking at an S340 to buy and plan to wipe Windows and install a Linux system as I have done previously on a Lenovo laptop. I would like to know if Mint will recognize the SSD. After 3 months have you had any response from the community or Lenovo support? I have read there may be a problem with the Lenovo BIOS (UEFI) that prevents Linux from seeing the SSD.
mukeko
Paper Tape
Views: 543
Message 3 of 8

I'm watching and I still don't know how to make it work.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 527
Message 4 of 8

If it's the S340-15 go to BIOS -> Configuration -> SATA Controller Mode and switch from RAID to AHCI.

Once you do that your installed windows won't boot.  If you want to dual boot you'll need to reinstall windows.

[edit to add] There may be a way to avoid the reinstall if you want to keep windows around:

https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

papaneuf
Paper Tape
Views: 514
Message 5 of 8

Thank you! I've ordered the laptop. It's an S340 but I didn't notice an -15 in the description. It does have the 15" display though. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 494
Message 6 of 8

The above may apply to other (non-15) models as well, but I only see the option in the 15.  It may also be a non-issue with other models if they don't use RAID mode.  I'm working with the BIOS simulator and not an actual laptop so I can't personally verify this one way or the other.

My semi-educated guess is that RAID mode is used in the -15 to support the Optane memory option.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

papaneuf
Paper Tape
Views: 484
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the response. I specifically asked before I bought if it had Optane memory and was told it does not. Hoping all works out. I would like to see Lenovo push Linux more. It is the future.

Highlighted
papaneuf
Paper Tape
Views: 232
Message 8 of 8

Ok, I successfully installed the latest edition of Linux Mint XFCE on the S340 and wiped windoze. I first tried to install by an external DVD thru a USB port, but it wasn't recognized. Then I burnt a USB stick and had no problems. I know I turned off secure boot in the bios, and I believe I made the switch from RAID to AHCI. I am on another laptop at present so I can't check. I should have made some notes. But it definitely can be without any problems.

I remember that while running the live USB linux stick I took a look at the hard drives with gparted before I installed and was dismayed to see that only my 2T mechanical drive showed and not the 512 SSD. After a bit of worry I discovered by clicking the gparted menu button it gave you a choice of drives to look at and of course the 512 SSD was there. Duh! Very happy with my Lenovo now and will be installing a 2nd operating system soon. This laptop will be a gift for my daughter.

But!!.....in the couse of this work I noticed on my laptop, an S310, that the bottom is bulging and cracking the case. It is not more than 2 years old and I am very worried. The case is warm over it and I would guess it is a bulging battery. What every happened to the days of replaceable batteries? This will probably progress until it destroys the laptop! It is even warping my touchpad.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals