11-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 131 of 342

Re: Email, calendars, contacts

2011-05-28, 20:38 PM

After downloading the update my corporate sync calendar would not load.  I went into my accounts and both my corporate sync and hotmail accounts were not listed, only gmail and backup were there.  However I was able to see my emails for both those accounts through the messaging app and they were syncing.  When I tried to reinstall my accounts it said they already existed and I had no way of removing them since they were missing from My Accounts.  I did a factory reset and then set up my accounts again and so far they seem to be working well.  I saw another person had this same issue, not sure if anyone else did.  Sorry if this is confusing but I found it rather odd.  Other than that no issues with the update so far.

Options

23 Posts

03-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 132 of 342

2011-05-28, 20:38 PM

try deleating alll your accounts then resyncing them......

Options

197 Posts

08-31-2010

United States

4 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 133 of 342

2011-05-28, 20:40 PM

i saw at least one other mention of this, but hotmail is not being pushed to the phone per the fetch schedule. however, the emails will appear when i go into the stock email client as more of a pull on demand process.  this happened with froyo every once in a while, so it may or may not fix itself. matt,please track this one.

Options

46 Posts

07-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 134 of 342

2011-05-28, 20:41 PM

Well still no email. I guess I should do another wipe.

Options

49 Posts

03-05-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 135 of 342

2011-05-28, 20:46 PM

I really like the new look in contacts, but I don't feel confident when scrolling quickly. The large tab on the right side that the old system had helped me feel confident where I was touching. I like the alphabet look on the right side, but it's hard to pin down what letter I am touching. I have accidentally hit the wrong letter several times.

Suggestion: It might be nice if a future update "grew" the letters near the current one to give a little more positive feedback.

Options

46 Posts

07-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 136 of 342

2011-05-28, 20:56 PM

Fresh reset. Waiting for help!

Options

6 Posts

12-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 137 of 342

2011-05-28, 21:06 PM

I solved my issue. Aparrently the default location for contacts created on your phone is in your OtherContacts label on Gmail. That label was not synced by default. Is there a way to change the default label? Maybe to Android so that we can go back and sort later?

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Views: 58302
  • Message 138 of 342

2011-05-28, 21:17 PM

Keith, I had a miscommunication -- I wasn't told that the person was not able to check in right away. If you want to PM me your phone number he can call you. He's not close to his computer.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

313 Posts

03-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 139 of 342

2011-05-28, 22:45 PM

Matt (Forums Manager) wrote:

Please be sure to mention which email platform you are using, Exchange server, etc.

Greetings,

Email

We're not using an in-house "email platform" such as an Exchange server. Nor is email being pushed to our Droid X phones. Rather it is manually retrieved (pulled) by users as required. Texting has largely replaced most email activity which is reserved primarily for complex communication and communication requiring file attachments.

1. Our email needs are relatively light. Our phones are each configured to handle 1-3 low-security email accounts from an external host. Our tests of GB 2.3.3 found no problems with sending or receiving POP3 email on a Droid X.
  2. We were unhappy to see that the "Email" app provided with GB 2.3.3 still links (like the previous version under 2.2.1) to only one email account. It seems silly to have to go to the "Message" app to receive/send email for other accounts. All email should be managed from the one "Email" app.

Calendars

We've never liked the calendar that was supplied with Froyo 2.2.1 (our first version of Android). We depend on a good long-range view and most of our users prefer the month view.

1. The Google Calendar app's month view uses a bold font to mark days with events. The bold font has hardly any more weight than the normal font that is used for unscheduled days. The result is that we can barely tell at a glance which days have scheduled events and which do not.
  2. Furthermore, text event labels are not provided on the month view.
Both of these shortcomings seem so basic. If you are going to provide a month view, make it easy to see which days have events. There are many third-party Android calendars that provide an excellent month view (like the "Touch Calendar" app). The Droid X display has plenty of pixels to render small text and make a month view very usable. Maybe that's the problem---Google is designing their Calendar app with a much lower resolution display in mind. The Google Calendar app is truly terrible in this regard and it is a disappointment to see that they have not improved it with GB 2.3.3.

Contacts

It is our belief that contacts management is "the" core feature of a smartphone and we're amazed that Google seems to have so much difficulty with it in Android. We've never been thrilled with contacts management under Froyo 2.2.1 but we're very unhappy with the way contacts are managed under GB 2.3.3. In fact, we're so unhappy that it is forcing us to reevaluate our future plans for migration to Android. Of all the new features of GB 2.3.3, the disastrous way it manages contacts overshadows all the good it has and leaves us very, very disappointed with the upgrade in its present form. In fact, we would prefer to stay with Froyo 2.2.1 even with its existing problems in order to avoid an even worse mess with the new Contacts app. Our GB 2.3.3 first impressions follow:

1. Under GB 2.3.3, it appears that the Contacts and Dialer apps have been merged into one app. There's nothing wrong with that---it makes sense. Tapping on either app's icon seems to launch the same app. This new combined Contacts/Dialer app has some nice new features like alphabet bars to divide the contact list and an alphabet scrollbar that is always visible along the right edge of the app. These are good features.
  2. Sadly, most of what we have to report is not good! The new combined app has many unpleasant surprises. For example, there is no longer a "Phone Contacts" account---at least not by name. Instead, when you go to Contacts/Dialer menu > More > Settings > Contact storage, you'll see your Google accounts and "Backup Assistant". What happened to "Phone Contacts" from Froyo 2.2.1? It used to represent local storage on the phone. Does this mean that we can no longer store our contacts locally on our phone? The "Backup Assistant" is not an "account"! Nor is it the main place to store contacts. Rather, it is a service that backs up your phone's local contacts data. It doesn't have the same weight or gravitas as a primary storage location---it should be treated as a secondary backup storage location! If, like us, you do not want to store your contacts in any of your Google accounts, where are they stored? Where do we tell the app that we want to store them in the phone, itself, with no outside links or syncs? Someone hasn't thought this through and it is more confusing here than it was under 2.2.1. Is Google trying to force us to store our contacts on their server (in a Google account)? If so, we'll never use Android again!!! We expect a certain level of privacy and that includes keeping our contacts---our most sensitive information---away from the eyes of others. Our customers are depending on it!!!
  3. If you go to Contacts/Dialer menu > Display options, you are faced with more strangeness in the section titled "Choose contacts to display". There it lists each of your Google accounts, each POP3 email address, and a Verizon wireless "Preset". Why are POP3 email addresses listed here? They're not a list of contacts! If we want to add an email sender to our contacts list, then we'll do it. But we don't want to see every person whose email we ever saved listed with our contacts. What a mess that would make! What is the Verizon "Preset"? Why isn't there some sort of local contact list (like the former "Phone Contacts") where we can choose to display only contacts that are saved locally on the phone?
  4. The new Contacts/Dialer app under GB 2.3.3 does not support all of the information of the former Contacts app under 2.2.1. For example, Anniversary dates were apparently dropped. (There may be others that were dropped, too---we didn't have time to check.) Any contact that had an anniversary date, will receive an "Anniversary" entry in the details of their contact under GB 2.3.3 but it will be followed by a strange code number---the anniversary date is not shown. If you edit one of these contacts, you won't find any "Anniversary" entry to edit which makes it impossible to remove the entry and its weird code number. (User's could add anniversary dates as a "Note" but this means going through every contact one at a time and editing it. And it precludes any chance of them being added to the calendar.) Since the original Anniversary date is not visible, you may not know what date to enter into the Notes field. After all, that's why we put things like anniversary dates in our Contacts---so we won't have to remember them. Now it appears that we do!!!
  5. When a user wants to enter and save a new contact, they must (A) configure where it will be saved in one place, (B) enter most of the contact information in another place, (C) configure a custom ringtone or redirect to voicemail in another place. This is stupid. ALL contact details should be editable from a single display!
  6. The new combined Contacts/Dialer app also creates another problem. All icons that you may have created on your home (desktop) panels for the old Contacts app will now be broken. You'll need to delete them and create new ones.

We cannot underscore strongly enough how important it is for our contacts information to remain private. It is the most sensitive information we carry in our phones. And our customers and our friends depend on us to safeguard their information. We only allow it to be managed and stored locally. The idea of trusting a third party like Google to store a copy of our contacts is unacceptable.

We strongly recommend that the following changes be implemented to GB 2.3.3 and its Contacts/Dialer app. This is a roadmap to fix the mess:

1. Provide a simple intuitive way to set the default location where contacts will be saved. Make sure that a local storage option is provided and give it an obvious name like "Local storage in phone".
  2. List all backup storage locations separately as "Backup storage" so it will be obvious that they are not the primary storage location. It is okay to list them on the same display with the primary storage locations (Local storage in phone, Google account, etc) but they must be in a separate section.
  3. Flatten the process for entering and/or editing new and existing contacts. Every detail from name to ringtone to links and syncs should be accessed from one place---this can be a single screen using the show/hide section model that users are accustomed to with Android. If the user wants to change a contact, they should only need to go to one place to do it regardless of how they want to change it.
  4. Immediately above the contact "Save" button, list every location where the contact is about to be saved so it is obvious to the user where the information will go so mistakes and duplicate entries can be avoided. And make the save destination(s) changeable so the user can save an individual contact to a different location on a contact by contact basis if desired (and thereby override the "default" save-to location). Perhaps this can be accomplished by having the destination display serve a dual role as both an indicator and a button.
  5. Go back to the Contacts app of Froyo 2.2.1 and carefully note every single detail that can be saved in a contact. Add the missing ones (like anniversary dates) to the GB 2.3.3 Contacts/Dialer app. No detail that was present in a Froyo 2.2.1 contact record should be omitted from a GB 2.3.3 contact record. Nor should the length of any text string be shortened. We're supposed to be taking a step forward---not backward---when we "upgrade".

Frankly, we're dismayed at the present state of the Contacts/Dialer app. Since it is a Google app, it seems that the people who really need to hear about this are the software development managers at Google. And it seems late in the game to be making fundamental changes when a full release is expected to happen soon. The best we can say, is to encourage you to get this information to the right people as soon as possible so these issues can be addressed promptly.

Regards, D.Harris

Options

3 Posts

09-02-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 140 of 342

2011-05-28, 22:58 PM

Sending a reply over wifi with my gmail account seemed to take longer than usual.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete