09-22-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 251 of 342

Re: Email, calendars, contacts

2011-05-30, 4:09 AM

I've fixed my issue with the existing re-occuring exchange calendar events not showing up and thought I would post a follow up.  I used my PC and edited the whole series, made a small change, saved, then repeated the process but removed the change so it was back to original form.  Everything synced up and is working again.

Vald wrote:

Having problem with the Calendar program and syncing to exchange.  It is not picking up any re-occuring events.  I'm on a fresh factory reset, have removed and re-added the account multiple times, still nothing.  The calendar is only picking up the few individually created events that exist.  It will also let me create re-occuring events and then display them.

I checked out Touchdown and it is picking up the existing calendar events just fine, re-occuring or otherwise.  So it's not my exchange server causing the issue.

This was working before I did a factory reset and was just working off the upgrade from the froyo version.  It is set to display, sync, etc...  I am also the sys admin for my company, and there are no blocks or hurdles to jump through to connect -- it's about as easy a connection setup as can have with Exchange and i've never come across this before using stock calendar/email app and account setup.

Something with the calendar program or the sync account isn't working right...  email is coming through just fine.

Options

10 Posts

02-14-2011

US

2 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 252 of 342

2011-05-30, 4:21 AM

My sync icon has been on continuously since Friday as well.  I decided to take a deep breath and relax about it.  It does not seem to be draining the battery, slowing the phone or doing anything else bad.

This factory reset that has been recommended sounds awful.  I'd lose all my settings, files, pictures, installed apps, and I think you even lose the GB update and have to do that over too.  Overall that is way too much to turn off a sync button that does not seem to be harming anything.

By way of troubleshooting I can turn off that sync indicator for long stretches of time by clearing the data in Contacts and ContactsData but it eventually comes back.  I read on another forum that this is due to two files running on the back end at the same time so it confuses the phone.  Ideally they will fix this with some type of push on the verizon/moto end.  At this point I have grave doubts that it is actually just syncing.

This little thing turned out to be my only "serious" issue.

macrosmatic wrote:

I have a question about the Sync icon on the top bar. Does anyone think it's causing a specific problem (draining battery, software conflict or whatever) or just on principle it's annoying to have an unneeded icon?

Thanks for input!

Options

60 Posts

08-16-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 253 of 342

2011-05-30, 4:34 AM

One more email issue.  It looks like email sync is not working with my POP account when the phone is in the car doc.  I don't know about corp email because I did not receive any emails this weekend.  IM's are received.  Test was done by leaving the phone in the doc, removing it from the doc after 1/2 hour, no new emails had shown up.  Going to my email account and having it do a sync showed several emails that should have shown up.  I do not have this problem when not in the doc.

Options

1097 Posts

07-15-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 254 of 342

2011-05-30, 4:48 AM

@mikeurl you don't lose any of your pictures or files on your SD card through a factory reset unless you choose to reformat your SD card, too. And, you don't have to redownload the GB update once it's installed. I did a factory reset after downloading the update and it helped me avoid some of the problems people are encountering such as the sync icon stuck in the Notification Bar.

Options

21 Posts

08-18-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 255 of 342

2011-05-30, 5:08 AM

I use Exchange, Gmail, and Facebook for messaging without any issues so far.  I also like the new Messaging widget's interface.  But I did notice that when I scroll to the end of a message within any mail app, a couple rows of light blue scroll up with my finger, then recede.  This occurs at the top, bottom, left, and right at the end of a message depending on how your finger is tracking.  I'm not sure if this is by design or not.

Options

1097 Posts

07-15-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 256 of 342

2011-05-30, 5:11 AM

@jiggpuff the light blue shadow is there by design. It's meant to make you aware that you've reached the bottom of the page.

Options

53 Posts

10-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 257 of 342

2011-05-30, 5:22 AM

I received an exchange server meeting request, but I no longer see the drop down to select accept, tentative, or decline

and it automatically pits in in my calendar as tentative which was an issue I had with froyo. How do I decline a meeting request

with a reply? Do I now have to do a 2 step process, reply to the email then delete the request?

Options

53 Posts

10-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 258 of 342

2011-05-30, 5:34 AM

When scrolling vertically on a meeting request email from our exchange server, there was about 20 lines of white space at the end, when I scrolled back up all the email text disappeared. I had to exit the email and open it again for it to display again.

Options

313 Posts

03-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 259 of 342

2011-05-30, 6:46 AM

Greetings,

The Contacts/Dialer app under GB 2.3.3 has a number of nice new cosmetic features. But many of us have noticed that a few things are missing. I'll detail the contact details that are missing or have changed below. But before we get to those details, let's step back and look a the big picture. I believe this is very important because the greatest changes, and by far the most serious, are being overlooked by many. GB 2.3.3 wants your contacts to reside on a Google server in a Google account. To that end, the local "Phone Contacts" option has been removed from the list of locations where the contacts can be saved.

Contacts management is the most central feature of a smartphone and contains some of the user's most sensitive data---especially if we conduct business with our phone. Did we buy our phones with the idea that Google would keep our contacts for us? Is this wise? That's what Google is trying to do beginning with GB 2.3.3.

I use my Droid X for both personal and business use. My family, friends and customers all expect me to keep their information private and safe. That's why I want to manage my contacts locally where I have greater control. GB 2.3.3 makes this confusing. It misleads us by listing the Verizon Backup Assistant as a storage location with our Google accounts---it's a secondary (not a primary) storage location for backup and it doesn't support all of the contact details, either. The GB 2.3.3 Contacts/Dialer app offers no local choice for saving our contacts on our phone which will confuse many users by coercing them think they must choose their Google account.

Under Froyo 2.2.1 all of the details of a contact except contact links were managed from one convenient place---the contact add/edit display. For an unknown reason, GB 2.3.3 fragments this by putting some of the details (the ringtone and send to voicemail settings) in a separate option menu. Then GB 2.3.3 drops a number of contact details including support for contact links.

When we upgrade from Froyo 2.2.1 to GB 2.3.3, we will lose contact links. Many of the unsupported details like birth dates and anniversary dates are entered as uneditable text entries into the GB 2.3.3 contact details. Sadly, the dates appear as unrecognizable code numbers as others have described. Since we cannot edit them, our only choice to clean up the mess is to delete the affected contacts and re-enter them under GB 2.3.3.

But why did they remove some of the details? The birth dates and anniversary dates cause me considerable trouble. You'll empathize if you have numerous friends and business contacts for whom you've stored this information.

The following list includes every detail that can be stored under Froyo 2.2.1 and GB 2.3.3. Here is what the colors mean:

• Blue indicates the detail is supported by both Froyo 2.2.1 and GB 2.3.3.
  • Black means the detail is new to GB 2.3.3.
  • Red means the detail was dropped by GB 2.3.3. These are the problem details.

First name

Last name

Phone

Home

Mobile

Work

Other

Work Fax

Home Fax

Pager

Other

Custom

Company Main

Assistant

Callback

Car

ISDN

Main

MMS

Other Fax

Radio

Telex

TTY TDD

Work Mobile

Work Pager

Email

Home

Work

Other

Custom

IM

AIM

Windows Live

MSN

Yahoo

QQ

Google Talk

Jabber

Netmeeting

Custom

Address

Home

Street

P.O. Box

Neighborhood

City

State

ZIP Code

Country

Work

Other

Custom

Organizations

Work

Company

Department

Title

Other

Custom

Additional Info / More

Dates

Birthday

Anniversary

Nicknames

Initials

Maiden name

Other name

Short name

Custom

Website

Blog

FTP

Home

Homepage

Other

Work

Custom

Notes

Call Handling

Ringtone

Send straight to voicemail

Link contact

Although this ppost does not cover all of the problems that exist with the GB 2.3.3 Contacts/Dialer app it should be clear that the problems are serious enough to warrant delaying the GB 2.3.3 launch until they can be fixed.

Kind regards, D.Harris

Options

10 Posts

11-23-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 260 of 342

2011-05-30, 8:34 AM

The phone seems to read the exchange global catalog .  I tried to add a birthdate today and realized i could not.  That was very disappointing

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete