Options

15 Posts

11-23-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 751 of 998

Re: Everything else -- please post any comments or issue here that don't fit the other threads.

2011-06-01, 17:16 PM

After 4 days of pretty much flawless work on my phone, I awoke this morning to a message on my phone saying "no data connections available".  First, I thought it was my wireless (in my home), so I turned that off, but the 3G connection didn't come up either.  I put the phone in Airline mode...let everything shut down...and brought it out of airline mode...still no data connection.  Finally ended up rebooting the phone and the data connections (both 3G and wireless) came back up.  Scared the heck out of me, to be certain.

Options

35 Posts

07-29-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 752 of 998

Re: Everything else -- please post any comments or issue here that don't fit the other threads.

2011-06-01, 17:21 PM

cjagger wrote:

After 4 days of pretty much flawless work on my phone, I awoke this morning to a message on my phone saying "no data connections available".  First, I thought it was my wireless (in my home), so I turned that off, but the 3G connection didn't come up either.  I put the phone in Airline mode...let everything shut down...and brought it out of airline mode...still no data connection.  Finally ended up rebooting the phone and the data connections (both 3G and wireless) came back up.  Scared the heck out of me, to be certain.

I had the same thing happen one time over the weekend. I thought it was something that I had done. Reboot fixed mine as well.

Options

16 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 753 of 998

2011-06-01, 17:26 PM

Well said!  I agree with all your points totally!  Couldn't have siad it better myself!

Dave

Options

51 Posts

04-20-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 754 of 998

2011-06-01, 17:42 PM

binger wrote:

ImRich wrote:

psipher wrote:

Benne (MOD) wrote:

psipher wrote:

JBass wrote:

Matt (Forums Manager) wrote:

This is our catch-all thread. What do you have?

When I long press the home button to get recent apps, some apps will not respond. Instead I see "application not installed on your phone." Most recently speed test gave this message. The app works fine in the app drawer.

I've experienced the same thing on some apps in the 'Recent Apps' folder.

Can you guys report what applications are doing this. So far I have:

• K-9 Mail
  • Speedtest.net

Please no double applications and quote this post please.

this has happened on the following app also:

- Encountr (version 2.69)

it has occured with me also with Speedtest.net, but only if the app is further down the list in the 'Recent Apps' folder...if it's in the approx top 6 apps it opens fine...further down the list it says app not installed.

Good find! I confirm, if it's in the first few positions, it opens, if it's #9 (the one I happened to test) it fails with the 'app not installed'.

Interesting.  I only have 8 recent apps.  I tried each one of them and they all opened up fine.

Market in position #11 opened fine for me.

Options

313 Posts

03-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 755 of 998

2011-06-01, 17:45 PM

keithfaber wrote:

Everyone, as best as I can tell this update REQUIRES FACTORY RESET! I had many of the problems talked about here, and since the wipe of the phone I have little or no problems.

1) My LED's work

2) My contacts are all correct, birthday's and all

3) Battery Life is good

4) Text messages are properly threaded

Hi Keith,

You must have a very special Droid X and a wonderful custom version of GB 2.3.3. I wish I had them both! :-)

The part of this "soak" that I've paid the closest attention to is the Contacts/Dialer app because of the problems I've seen in it. And I can unequivocally report that your second point is not true for me (and I suspect it is not true for most).

First, the new Contacts/Dialer app in GB 2.3.3 does not support any contact dates. This means no birth dates and no anniversary dates. When it imports your old contacts during the update process, it transforms the dates into uneditable text entries. In many (perhaps most---and in my case "all") of the dates appear as long unintelligible number strings. You cannot enter a birth date or an anniversary date for a new contact. Nor can you edit the old entries that were imported during the update.

Second, a number of us have done a factory rest in an attempt to overcome as many problems as possible. We've also wiped the cache partition as a separate step in case it wasn't fully cleared during the factory reset. And we still have the same problem with the contacts. They are not correct.

There may be a significant difference in the way your contacts are configured than mine. You probably are using your Google account as the location where your contacts are saved and I am not. Perhaps that difference enables birth dates and anniversary dates that were imported during the update to be readable. And you should be able to still edit dates from a computer. But even if this is true, you will find that you still cannot edit them and you cannot enter them for a new contact from your phone because they have been dropped (along with other item) from the contact details under the version of GB 2.3.3 that we received during this "soak".

I hope that you'll prove me wrong about this---I would dearly love to be wrong! The changes to the Contacts/Dialer app have caused me more trouble than any other and have soured the entire update because contacts managment is such a central feature of the phone.

Kind regards, D.Harris

Options

46 Posts

07-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 756 of 998

2011-06-01, 17:57 PM

My contacts come from my corporate sync account and facebook. I agree that

all of the supported data contained in an Outlook contact file should ne

synced and editable on the phone. This is my office and I need it to work

with as much of my corporate data as possible.

On Jun 1, 2011 1:46 PM, "d.harris" <motorola-mobile@hosted.jivesoftware.com

Options

418 Posts

06-04-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 757 of 998

2011-06-01, 18:14 PM

Dear Keithfaber:

[removed] My guess is there are a number of Newbies in this Soak Test, and they may blindly follow what someone else says here. Again, I have not (now do I plan on doing) a Factory Reset, unless given specific instructions from someone at Motorola.

It is certainly your right to do what you want, [removed]

Rick

d.harris wrote:

keithfaber wrote:

Everyone, as best as I can tell this update REQUIRES FACTORY RESET! I had many of the problems talked about here, and since the wipe of the phone I have little or no problems.

1) My LED's work

2) My contacts are all correct, birthday's and all

3) Battery Life is good

4) Text messages are properly threaded

Hi Keith,

You must have a very special Droid X and a wonderful custom version of GB 2.3.3. I wish I had them both! :-)

The part of this "soak" that I've paid the closest attention to is the Contacts/Dialer app because of the problems I've seen in it. And I can unequivocally report that your second point is not true for me (and I suspect it is not true for most).

First, the new Contacts/Dialer app in GB 2.3.3 does not support any contact dates. This means no birth dates and no anniversary dates. When it imports your old contacts during the update process, it transforms the dates into uneditable text entries. In many (perhaps most---and in my case "all") of the dates appear as long unintelligible number strings. You cannot enter a birth date or an anniversary date for a new contact. Nor can you edit the old entries that were imported during the update.

Second, a number of us have done a factory rest in an attempt to overcome as many problems as possible. We've also wiped the cache partition as a separate step in case it wasn't fully cleared during the factory reset. And we still have the same problem with the contacts. They are not correct.

There may be a significant difference in the way your contacts are configured than mine. You probably are using your Google account as the location where your contacts are saved and I am not. Perhaps that difference enables birth dates and anniversary dates that were imported during the update to be readable. And you should be able to still edit dates from a computer. But even if this is true, you will find that you still cannot edit them and you cannot enter them for a new contact from your phone because they have been dropped (along with other item) from the contact details under the version of GB 2.3.3 that we received during this "soak".

I hope that you'll prove me wrong about this---I would dearly love to be wrong! The changes to the Contacts/Dialer app have caused me more trouble than any other and have soured the entire update because contacts managment is such a central feature of the phone.

Kind regards, D.Harris

• Edited for personal attack – please stay on topic and follow our site rules.

Message was edited by: Matt (Forums Manager)

Options

32 Posts

10-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 758 of 998

2011-06-01, 18:27 PM

drone46 wrote:

cjagger wrote:

I had the same thing happen one time over the weekend. I thought it was something that I had done. Reboot fixed mine as well.

I believe this has happened to me about 4 times since the upgrade.  Never happened before gingerbread.

Options

32 Posts

10-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 759 of 998

2011-06-01, 18:35 PM

One other issue: In Swype I used to be able to double-tap a word in order to correct it.  This now brings up the screen for the new cut and paste functionality, blocking me from performing the correction in swype. 

That is the main problem with this change, but overall the fact that I cannot use the normal swype methods for selecting and editing text is a huge issue for me.

Options

726 Posts

08-21-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 760 of 998

2011-06-01, 18:43 PM

The_Cheat wrote:

One other issue: In Swype I used to be able to double-tap a word in order to correct it.  This now brings up the screen for the new cut and paste functionality, blocking me from performing the correction in swype. 

That is the main problem with this change, but overall the fact that I cannot use the normal swype methods for selecting and editing text is a huge issue for me.

I agree, it is a bit different now.. Not sure yet if it's "better" ..  But this is what I discovered:  To correct a misspelled word, you Tap Once next to the left-most (or right-most) character of the word. It pops up a BLUE thing that is actually like regular editing adjustments.  You now SLIDE either the left 1/2 or right half of that BLUE thing to select the chars. you wish to change ... then just swipe your new letters.  Kinda strange to get used to but it does work ...   Oh, and doing so it won'[t bring up "suggestions" for the word ... Hope this helps.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
    X

Save

X

Delete