Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveRetired Soak Tests
All Forum Topics
Options

107 Posts

07-19-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 21 of 53

Re: Exchange setup issue when no SSL required - Please read, test and provide feedback

2010-07-30, 18:27 PM

Update:

Got Corp Sync to work using instructions here (posted instructions how my network admin did it and no feedback).

Corp Sync stopped working on Wednesday (posted here and no feedback).

Luckily, I still had Touchdown installed.  However the app would freeze often, so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall.  Would not sync.  My network admin installed version Touchdown 1.x and it works.  WTF!!! 

I thought this was the Motorola FEEDBACK Network.  I have not recieved any FEEDBACK!!!!!  What is the point of getting your user base involved if there is no reciprication?

Let's just say, my experiences with this phone and your lack of communication are getting me increasingly irate!!!!  I really hope this gets resolved soon otherwise this is the last MOTO phone I will ever buy and it will be Goodbye MOTO!

Options

1028 Posts

07-16-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 22 of 53

Re: Exchange setup issue when no SSL required - Please read, test and provide feedback

2010-07-30, 21:33 PM

I also would love to assist but until nobody asks me to do something I have nothing to do.

Options

10 Posts

07-27-2010

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 23 of 53

2010-07-31, 17:05 PM

Francois:

I installed a self-signed certificate early this morning and created a Corporate Sync account aboard the device (with Use Secure Connection checked). I received 'connection error' notifications upon automatic and  manual sync attempts. I then returned to the server and disabled Require secure channel (SSL) for the Default Web Site. The CS account then successfully synced, although I hadn't unchecked the Use secure connection box. Also, I'm not receiving notifications of new messages.

At some point while going back and forth with testing, a second CS account appeared under My Accounts.  This new 'phantom' account has the same name as the working one,  however its settings include only username and password fields (of which  only the password field is live) and a Remove account option (which doesn't work). Entering the password and selecting OK returns the error Username must not be blank.  I deleted the working account to see if it would also delete the  phantom account, and found it didn't. I then re-added a CS account, and again noticed that sync works despite having SSL disabled on my  server, and regardless of whether Use secure connection is checked on the device.

It looks as if the Use secure connection switch  doesn't work at all in my situation, which explains why I couldn't set  up an initial CS account until I had a server certificate in place. Also, since I disabled certificate verification with the self-signed certificate, I'm unable to toggle the Verify Certificate setting under the CS account. I'm not yet sure where this settings information is stored on the device, but it's persistent in affecting account configuration attempts.

(EDITED Jul 31, 8:39 PM) Soon after this morning's work, I reset my phone to factory defaults to see whether adding an Exchange account first - before others - would make a difference (as I suspected, it didn't), and to return SSL to a non-working state, for when I revisit this.

Greg

Options

164 Posts

07-23-2010

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 24 of 53

2010-08-02, 20:51 PM

Dave,

We have our server listening on ports 80 and 443 at the same time. Are you

sure you did not replace 80 with 443?

Thanks,

Francois

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM, davbak <

Options

58 Posts

07-26-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 25 of 53

2010-08-02, 20:58 PM

Francois,

We just opened 443 today and I will be testing the self signed SSL certificate this evening after business hours.  Port 80 will still be opened along with 443.  I'll be testing both ActiveSync (Corporate Sync) connectivity from my Droid X as well as the impact on OWA users.  I'll post my results later tonight or first thing in the morning.

Thanks,
Dave

Options

58 Posts

07-26-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 26 of 53

2010-08-02, 23:34 PM

My findings:

I enabled the self signed SSL certification and verified it was working on 443 by accessing OWA via https (port 443).  Then I setup my Corporate Sync account with a secured, unverified connection.  The account was successfully added to the phone, however, it would not sync.  I then disabled the "require SSL" in IIS and restarted the IIS services.  Now Corporate Sync was able to sync correctly and notifications worked as they should.  Note: Corporate Sync is still set to use SSL, though I'm not sure how to verify whether or not it is using it.

Also of note:  If you require SSL in IIS and you are using a self-signed certificate, the end user accessing OWA will receive a warning about the unsigned certificate.  Basically the browser is telling the user that they are accessing a site that is using a SSL certificate that can not be verified by a third party, which is completely true.  If the certificate issuer is a trusted authority in the browser, this warning is not presented.  In our case, we do have our issueing server listed as a trusted authority, this was distributed on all workstations via a group policy.  However, when I accessed OWA from a machine that is NOT a part of our AD and did NOT have the group policy, the warning was present.

The good news is I was able to sync without making the SSL a requirement, so the impact to OWA users is not an issue.

The problem with this solution is it requires your Exchange admin to make changes to the configuration to work around a bug on the device side.

The other problem I see, and can not test at the moment, is how a server that does have a third-party signed certificate installed is treated by the Droid X.  A third-party certificate is the ideal setup for ANY Exchange setup, so if a company is running their Exchange OWA properly with a third-party SSL, do they have to make that certificate optional for the Droid X to work?   Or does the Droid X behave as it should with a third-party certificate that is required?

EDIT:  New e-mail does not seem to be automatically syncing.  New messages are hitting Touchdown fine (which I changed to use SSL), however they never appear in Corporate Sync until I open the inbox and it syncs at open.  Calendar items do seem to be syncing in near real-time, however.

In other words, I think Corporate Sync is a sick puppy or a half baked implementation.  I'll be sticking with Touchdown for now and will use Corporate Sync for calendar syncing since I do like how it combines with my personal Google calendars.  I'm hopeful there's a much much better long term solution on the very near horizon.

Options

164 Posts

07-23-2010

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 27 of 53

2010-08-03, 21:39 PM

Hi Davbk,

Glad to see that the workaround worked for you. We have a client-side fix,

it's matter of being able to release to everyone now.

As to your last question, X should work with a 3rd party certificate.

Thanks,

Francois Holl

Cell US: +1 408 838 6026

Cell BR: +55 (19) 9764 9099

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, davbak <

Options

58 Posts

07-26-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 28 of 53

2010-08-03, 21:45 PM

Francois, did you see my edit that stated the fix did not "stick"?  New email was not "pushed" unless I opened the messages list and let the app sync at startup.  The initial sync worked, but after that, nothing was automatic for new e-mail.  I've abandoned Corporate Sync and have reverted back to using Touchdown since Corporate Sync was not reliable.

Options

164 Posts

07-23-2010

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 29 of 53

2010-08-03, 21:50 PM

Ah, no sorry, missed that. Let me see what I can find out.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM, davbak <

Options

1028 Posts

07-16-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 30 of 53

2010-08-03, 21:54 PM

Is a "client-side" fix the same as a fix for those of us without access to our Exchange servers with SSL or non-SSL problems connecting?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms