Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveRetired Soak Tests
All Forum Topics
Options

1321 Posts

06-05-2010

United States

5 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 71 of 77

Re: Waiting for update, got my update, cool stuff in the update -- any non-issue discusssion

2011-09-07, 3:07 AM

dianewashere wrote:

huff825 wrote:

dianewashere wrote:

I want to share good things about the update.

I like the look of the dialer. 

I like the darkened background when I wake the phone up. 

I like the popup box when you press on an app giving you choices of adding to home, sharing, adding to group, or uninstalling.

I have a suggestion:  giving us the ability to rename a folder when we place it on a screen.  Or am I missing something?  I tried it and all I keep getting is "folder"

And how about a suggestion box thread? 

Put a new folder on the screen.  Open the folder.  Long press where it says folder and it will give you the option to rename.  Same as Froyo.  Hope this makes sense.

Yikes.  I feel like the blonde with the chainsaw.  Took her 3 days to cut a pile of wood.  She returned it to the store and said it didn't work.  The manager pulled the cord, started it up, and the blonde said "what's that noise?"

Thank you!

Not a problem at all, it is very rare that I can actually help anyone on the forum.  Glad to be of service.

Options

102 Posts

11-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 72 of 77

Re: Waiting for update, got my update, cool stuff in the update -- any non-issue discusssion

2011-09-10, 5:15 AM

I'm curious about what's next. Will there be another update for us before GB is released to the masses? I noticed there's been no activity for 12 hours. And why does my phone keep putting 'the' after I type '12' when using the sliding keyboard?

Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Views: 14025
  • Message 73 of 77

2011-09-10, 11:43 AM

Gingerbread was "released to the masses" over a week ago.

Options

23 Posts

11-01-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 74 of 77

2011-09-10, 15:40 PM

It was released to the masses - and my hardware Tab key still doesn't work, which isn't good when trying to do small quantities of word processing (Timesheets, To Do and To Get lists, etc.) on my phone.... 

They should have waited. 

I thought the whole idea of running a monitored Pre-release Soak Test was so they could have us all find and report the bugs that they missed in the lab (with the millions of apps and websites that a Smartphone can interact with) and wait for a proper Bug-fix release or two to kill the worst of the problems found before the release. 

But Noooooo.....  

--<< Bruce >>--

Options

102 Posts

11-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 75 of 77

2011-09-10, 16:00 PM

BruceBergman wrote:

It was released to the masses - and my hardware Tab key still doesn't work, which isn't good when trying to do small quantities of word processing (Timesheets, To Do and To Get lists, etc.) on my phone.... 

They should have waited. 

I thought the whole idea of running a monitored Pre-release Soak Test was so they could have us all find and report the bugs that they missed in the lab (with the millions of apps and websites that a Smartphone can interact with) and wait for a proper Bug-fix release or two to kill the worst of the problems found before the release. 

But Noooooo.....  

--<< Bruce >>--

What?  Are you serious?  I don't mind being a test dummy but in the end I want an OS that works either the same or better than the one I had before. And are people having the same problems we are? 

I miss Froyo 

Options

23 Posts

11-01-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 76 of 77

2011-09-10, 17:03 PM

Manager Matt is welcome to pipe in any time...  (Please?)  But they released the software and we filled this forum with little glitches - but there wasn't a new version of the software sent out in response. 

As far as I can tell, they just decided it works well enough and released the same package to the world - or they'll do the bug-fixes later, and risk cranking off the entire Verizon user-base in the meantime, which would be IMO really irresponsible.  Please tell me I'm wrong.

Software development goes Alpha when it's stable enough to run most of the time and they can actually show it to their boss running.  Then it advances to Beta status and the eventual round of Beta Tests when it's getting closer but the coders keep tweaking it and re-releasing incremental updates every few days as they fix things. And they usually have the 'crash dump' features turned on so it spits up error codes as to why it died.

The Beta Tests are supposed to be done in somewhat controlled situations, selected people download new operating systems and software and install them on a "Sandbox" computer that they keep seperate from their real data kept on another machine.  The coders ask the testers to test against specific programs and try doing specific things that they suspect are written wrong (like tricking it into a Divide By Zero) and the testers report back whether it trapped the error properly or crashed.

The Beta Testers aren't supposed to be using the Beta software on a "production" machine doing real work with it, like Beta accounting software actually being used on your finances - because it could destroy your data or corrupt other files.  

On a cellphone Beta, the tester would carry another production cellphone with them in case the test unit glitches on them - that's probably how the Beta Test iPhone got left on a bar-stool in the SFO Bay Area a few years back.

We got "Release Candidate" software, which is supposed to mean they think it's totally stable and finished (and they turn off the 'Debug Mode' on-screen crash dump info) *BUT* they want to find out for sure.  It has to go out to real-world users and react to real world usage, so they can see what happens.

And Release Candidates usually still need fine-tuning because they get exposed to a far larger pool of interactions  That's what we were doing - or so I thought. 

--<< Bruce >>--

Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 77 of 77

2011-09-11, 2:40 AM

I tested my tab key and I have no problems in GB. Actually a lot of the problems that are coming up on these forums I haven't had. I am stock and non-rooted. The only thing I experiences was one day my 3G locked on and the phone started getting hot. I did a cache clear on the phone and everything has been great since. I don't have the push issues with Corporate Sync the people are talking about. I have 3 corporate sync accounts on my phone. I have only had 2 random reboots. One before the Cache clear and one after. The only other weird thing I did have happen was I shut my phone off and it came back on. I turned it off a second time and it stayed off. My experience is that Moto did an outstanding job with this release. Sure everything has issues and I notice minor tweaks, but in large my phone is as solid as before. It has the same if not better battery life. If you are interested in trying a cache clear to clear up some of the problems check out this thread...

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57224?tstart=5

BruceBergman wrote:

They should have waited. 

But Noooooo.....  

--<< Bruce >>--

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms