Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: L, R and SL series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-03-2012

UK

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 2

BIOS Recovery

2012-11-05, 16:41 PM

I have a SL510 2847 54G laptop, I tried updating the BIOS with 6juj28us.exe update utililty, but it hung the laptop half way through. Now all I get is a black screen and a couple of beeps when I try to turn it on.

I am trying to create a wincrisis recovery usb disk to recover the bios. I have ran the .exe file and at the last step, I have unchecked the box to install the update utility. I need to know which specific file do I need to copy to the wincrisis folder from the C:\Drivers\Flash\ directory?

Thanks,

Options

3 Posts

11-03-2012

UK

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: BIOS Recovery

2012-11-07, 10:17 AM

Fixed the laptop with the Wincrisis tool.

I have put the steps down on how I fixed the laptop.

Here's how I fixed it.

1. Installed Windows XP as a virtual machine. I couldn't get the version of Wincrisis that I had to run on Windows 7.

2. Downloaded the 6juj28us.exe update utility from the Lenovo drivers and downloads site.

3. Ran the 6juj28us.exe update utility and at the last step, uncheck the box to install the update utility.

4. Downloaded the Wincrisis recovery tools and associated files from

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmit ... covery.zip

5. Unzipped the T43_recovery folder to my desktop.

6. I took a copy of the $0A6J000.FL1 from the directory C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\6juj28us, that was created in the last step. I then put it in the T43_recovery folder with Wincrisis, and renamed $0A6J000.FL1 to BIOS.WPH.

7. I then copied the T43-Recovery folder the XP virtual machine.

8. Then I formatted a 60MB USB flash drive to FAT16.

9. I then loaded the USB flash drive in the XP machine, and then ran WINCRIS.EXE to create the recovery drive.

10. I then put the USB flash drive into the laptop with the faulty BIOS. I made sure that I still had the battery and the power cable plugged into the laptop.

11. Can't remember which key combinations that I pressed, it was FN+R or FN+B. Hold the key combination down, and then press the power button.

12. I held the keys down for about a minute. If it's successful you should see the USB Flash drive light start flashing. It only took about 3 minutes to complete, the laptop then restarted itself.

13. It kept booting into the BIOS, so I had to the press the blue ThinkPad button when prompted to boot into Windows.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms