Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveSMARTACTIONS™
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-09-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 5

Battery drain on RAZR HD

2012-10-09, 12:48 PM

I purchased the RAZR HD last week and it is a great phone. The battery lasts the entire day but I noticed that during some periods of the day the battery drains much quicker. While I am at work, the battery status stays fairly stable and uses only 1% per hour.  When I am travelling, the battery drains at 5-6% per hour.  

I checked the battery usage and it seems that even when the phone screen is off, the phone is kept awake. During some times, even the wifi shows it was in use when I didnt even have it turned on.

So far today the phone has been on battery for just over 17 hours and the battery is at 31%. Below is a breakdown of the top 5 users.

Screen - 52%

Phone Idle - 16%

Android System - 10%

Cell Standby - 9%

com.motorola.modemservice - 4%

The screen has been on for 55 min in total. The Android System, however, has kept the phone awake for 1h 13min and used CPU total for 15min. The com.motorola.modemservice kept the phone awake for 1h 24 min and used CPU total for 6 min. It seems there are certain wakelocks in place that are keeping the phone awake only under certain conditions. I.e. when at home or at work the battery doesnt drain.

What is causing these wakelocks? Is it Smart Actions?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Battery drain on RAZR HD

2012-10-09, 21:03 PM

55 minutes of screen time can be 25% of battery usage with max brightness. The Keep awake times will drain battery but when they are really high - multiple hours.

Location with poor signal will kill this battery very fast. I could say this 3 more times as I have witnessed it many times, and this phone is affected by weak signal more then any other.

Smart Actions itself will not kill the battery, but if you have rules that are triggered off location - then the phone can be polling wifi and GPS all the time.

The phone is always pulling data for different things, but I don't see any smoking gun. What else are you doing besides the 1hr the screen was on? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

6 Posts

10-09-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 5

2012-10-09, 21:32 PM

The phone has been on battery for just under 2 hours this morning and looking at the History details the phone has been awake for much of that time even though the screen hasnt been on during this time. Screen shot attached.

The com.motorola.modemservice is now showing as *wakelock* but it is the same service as the included packages are the same. I.e. Orientation Notifier, ModemStatsService, Modem Fastdormancy Monitor Service.

I have disabled Smart Actions just to rule it out but the Suggestions Core Rule Checker is still running and restarts itself even after I kill it.

The issue is that the battery drains quickly when I am not using the phone as well. The battery was down to 93% after just 1.5 hours on battery and I had not used the screen at all during this time. Again, the Andorid System and that  com.motorola.modemservice  seem to use most of the battery.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2012-10-10, 20:07 PM

how long is the wake lock under the modem service? Does it match the 2 hours off battery?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2012-10-10, 20:09 PM

I do notice you had no signal for part of the time, and again, if you are in a weak signal area i have notice very rapid drain on my Atrix HD.

If this is location dependent then there is much that can be except maybe switch wifi on in case the phone is trying to maintain data connections.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms